Sync'ing large amounts of data from desktop

PenguinLust

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to be able to create large amounts of data on my desktop for various apps and then sync them to my Galaxy. Is that possible? What I really liked about my Palm is that most things I wanted to put on it, could be put on my desktop, w/a more efficient keyboard and pointing device than what the mobile offered. From what I can tell, I can use any browser to load my Google contacts, Google calendar and Gtasks, which then sync to my Galaxy, but that's about it.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to be able to create large amounts of data on my desktop for various apps and then sync them to my Galaxy. Is that possible? What I really liked about my Palm is that most things I wanted to put on it, could be put on my desktop, w/a more efficient keyboard and pointing device than what the mobile offered. From what I can tell, I can use any browser to load my Google contacts, Google calendar and Gtasks, which then sync to my Galaxy, but that's about it.

You can upload files onto a cloud drive such as drive.google.com, skydrive.com, mega.co.nz, sugarsync.com, copy.com, shared.com, 4shared.com, mediafire.com, or Dropbox.com and then download their mobile app on your phone to get them that way, but this takes up a lot of data so be careful. You can download a file manager such as ES File explorer which let's you view shared folders on your desktop PC, or via wifi with smb. You can also try an app like Wifi File Transfer. Finally, you can try airdroid which let's you sync everything with your phone to your PC via a wireless connection.

PenguinLust

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps "large amounts of data" was a poor choice of words. I should have said something like "large amounts of keystrokes". The idea is that I can do a lot of work w/a desktop keyboard rather than an awkward touch screen, then sync that work to the mobile.
However, AirDroid seems to be what I was looking for (at least on the install page) but I can't get it to do what I want. I went to the AD server on my LAN and was able to access things, but not start the program that I wanted. I clicked on the "Apps" folder and it listed all my apps, but it would only let me "Download" (whatever that means) or delete them. I want to run them so I can work on them.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps "large amounts of data" was a poor choice of words. I should have said something like "large amounts of keystrokes". The idea is that I can do a lot of work w/a desktop keyboard rather than an awkward touch screen, then sync that work to the mobile.
However, AirDroid seems to be what I was looking for (at least on the install page) but I can't get it to do what I want. I went to the AD server on my LAN and was able to access things, but not start the program that I wanted. I clicked on the "Apps" folder and it listed all my apps, but it would only let me "Download" (whatever that means) or delete them. I want to run them so I can work on them.

Try Google drive. You can sync and edit across pc and mobile devices. Or if not, try skydrive from Microsoft.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

PenguinLust

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Google Drive does it either.
Put it this way: the acid test would be loading up the packing list to Packing List Lite (high recommended). It`s this delightful app that arranges packing checklists of things to pack and do before leaving on your trip. It`d be much more ergonomic if I could load up that considerably long list from my desktop, then sync that list to Packing List Lite on the mobile. AirDroid says it can do this sort of thing, but I don`t know how. I haven`t found a tool that even claims to be able to do this.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I don't think Google Drive does it either.
Put it this way: the acid test would be loading up the packing list to Packing List Lite (high recommended). It`s this delightful app that arranges packing checklists of things to pack and do before leaving on your trip. It`d be much more ergonomic if I could load up that considerably long list from my desktop, then sync that list to Packing List Lite on the mobile. AirDroid says it can do this sort of thing, but I don`t know how. I haven`t found a tool that even claims to be able to do this.

Oh in that case, try google keep. It syncs your to-do list to your phone from your desktop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jcl678