Galaxy Tab 3 - Won't Charge

GumbieuK

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

New here just looking and hoping for some support for my Galaxy Tab 3 which all of a sudden will not charge.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

When plugged in and not turned on it shows the symbol (like it's refreshing to find battery level) and then normally obviously the battery shows up displaying the level of my charge, but on my tab it doesn't the screen goes black and nothing happens. Then when the tab is turned on an i plug it in nothing happens screen doesn't brighten nor does it acknowledge it's charging.

It has worked fine until i tried to charge it this evening, no indication before that anything is wrong. I've tried to reset it by holding the power key and volume key but nothing, just restarts and still won't charge.

Has anyone else had this problem or know of anyway to resolve it.

Again any help you could provide would be appreciated, thanks for you time.

GumbieuK

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Yea tried two other chargers, funny thing is i turned it on earlier and the battery had gone up to 21% but then the tab reset and rebooted after about 2 minutes and after that the battery was on 0%.

GoogleUser01

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with a newly purchased tab 3 and filled out claim and mailed it to the service center for repair. Came back three weeks later with paper showing software replacement. Now the unit seems to be working very well and seems faster too. Am now happy despite long wait.

tthoma

May 29, 2011
Visit site
Now getting the same thing. At first it was intermittent; now it won't charge past about 60-70%. I also get the random drops in % after reboot.

wirelesscaller

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

What you'll need to do is watch this video (a how to video, you won't replace the battery, ignore the part about the screen replacement, just disconnect and reconnect battery cable), pop the back cover off the tablet, disconnect the battery cable (careful not to damage the circuit board), reconnect the battery cable, and replace the back cover. Connect the charger, within a minute the screen on the tablet will pulse/flicker which is good news, allow it to charge a while, turn on the device, shutdown the wireless wifi, click the power button to turn the screen dark again, and allow to charge for another 6 hours or till fully charged (while it's connected to wifi the background processes will affect the charge time, on a weak charger it may not even charge like from an usb port on a computer). What happened is you allowed the battery to run down till dead, on the newer android OS it seems they want the device powered on while charging instead of allowing the option to power off to charge faster (I think this way they get their metrics from us). It's a pain in the tail, but this will allow you to power back on the device without losing anything or go into developer's mode.

Last edited:

MrBoylan

Jan 22, 2014
Visit site
Awesome. Thanks so much! I sent my daughter's first Galaxy Tab 3 (white version) back to Samsung because of this problem (inability to turn on or charge after it was drained in its first day). They sent me the yellow kids version as a replacement. That ones lasted a week and then experienced the same problem - would not power up, would not charge. I tried holding the power button, holding the power button and volume up button, holding the power button, home button and volume up button for up to a minute - no luck from any of these tricks.

So I removed the back cover and disconnected/reconnected the battery as in your video and the phone was able to charge again after reconnecting the charger.

Any idea how we can avoid this in the future? That cover removal is a little tricky and I had to use a metal knife as I did not have a plastic pry tool.

Thanks again!

-Chris

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Is this happening because you are running down the battery until it is dead or is something else going on. When my battery hits 20% I plug in the charger.....have not had any problem with the battery thus far.

Posted via Android Central App

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Is this happening because you are running down the battery until it is dead or is something else going on. When my battery hits 20% I plug in the charger.....have not had any problem with the battery thus far.

Me too. No problems at all.

Although I am a little more daring and let it get down to 1 or 2% sometimes:)

samixikon

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I tried that without luck. Wirelesscaller method. I do not know what to do now.
Honestly u are right, real tricky to separate the bak and the main/screen. My manicure broke. I really like my tab, bought that 2 months ago. But since it was an overseas purchase, warranty is not covered. I was told it was not intl warranty.
Any one with more suggestions? Could that be hardware?
Samantha

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I tried that without luck. Wirelesscaller method. I do not know what to do now.
Honestly u are right, real tricky to separate the bak and the main/screen. My manicure broke. I really like my tab, bought that 2 months ago. But since it was an overseas purchase, warranty is not covered. I was told it was not intl warranty.
Any one with more suggestions? Could that be hardware?
Samantha

How did problem start

samixikon

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for asking.
I was on my tab playing some game last Monday, noticing around 30% battery. I continue playing 45 minutes, got tired. shut that down before plugging in the charger and went to sleep. Next morning, my tablet did not respond when I started it as usual, so I thought I could have plugged in carelessly, so I unplugged and repeated it, then I noticed there was no battery icon appearing on the screen. I tried all chargers(including the original charger) I have (I have several and they all work on my Samsung mobile, laptop, other mobiles). Before this happened, all other chargers worked on my tab 3 as well. I checked the battery jack, nothing strange. No lose parts.
I searched for similar cases on the net. Read Chris Boyle and ?wirelesscaller` suggestions and thought wooh! that could I try. I will do a second attempt again but if it cannot be resolved, it is probably a battery problem. Or even the mothereboard. Anyone with a second opinion is welcomed.
Samsung gave me a real disappointment this time. //Samantha

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for asking.
I was on my tab playing some game last Monday, noticing around 30% battery. I continue playing 45 minutes, got tired. shut that down before plugging in the charger and went to sleep. Next morning, my tablet did not respond when I started it as usual, so I thought I could have plugged in carelessly, so I unplugged and repeated it, then I noticed there was no battery icon appearing on the screen. I tried all chargers(including the original charger) I have (I have several and they all work on my Samsung mobile, laptop, other mobiles). Before this happened, all other chargers worked on my tab 3 as well. I checked the battery jack, nothing strange. No lose parts.
I searched for similar cases on the net. Read Chris Boyle and ?wirelesscaller` suggestions and thought wooh! that could I try. I will do a second attempt again but if it cannot be resolved, it is probably a battery problem. Or even the mothereboard. Anyone with a second opinion is welcomed.
Samsung gave me a real disappointment this time. //Samantha

Wierd hopefully you figure it out

Fototaker Sf

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I've had an original tab 7" with NO problems. i even rooted it meself w/o problems. graduated to a tab2 7" and hated it because it has a cam with zero autofocus. picked up a tab3 8" mainly due to no ability on the 7" versions to DL pixs from external camera to the tab3 7", thence picking up the 8" model, and it works perfectly enabling me to use it while on foto trips replacing a laptop or even a notebook, and without the larger space or weight requirements. in the house i use an old previously-unused charger to a cell to charge it. on the road i use the orig charger. i have nEVER had a charging problem with any of the tabs i've owned or the S4 or the SSG mini I was given by a friend in Spain

Montythelab

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
This is so ridiculous....I have 2 brand new tablets that are doing this. (Gifts for my kids)...also have invested an addl 80 ea for otterboxes. Now I discover that I bought a **** poor product. This really sucks. Goodbye to Samsung... What a piece of crap

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
@Monty, You must of got defective units, I have 8 or so samsung devices with no problems (not that that helps you any) I'd be pissed too if I were you though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1