1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to transfer files with unfunctional screen

Hello Android Community,

I have a Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7" (model SM-T217S). I forgot to charge it one night and it died. The next morning I woke up and began to charge it and when I turned it on the tablet the screen is unresponsive. I have tried everything to try and fix it. I did all the restarts and what not. Thankfully I've had it for less than two months and it is still under warranty. However, I would like to get some files off of it (pictures, roms, and other files). Unfortunately, when i plug the USB into my laptop no filed are showing up (I think it's because it's not connected as a media device). Is there way to manually change it to set it as a media device or another way to transfer these files to my laptop?

Open to any suggestions so long as it won't void the warranty. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: How to transfer files with unfunctional screen

Did you by any chance do a factory reset? Because, if you did, that wipes out everything from your tablet

You could try plugging it in via Kies...
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

That's the only thing I did not do to try and fix it. I wanted to try and avoid that until I got the files I needed off of it. I was thinking of that. Do I need to set it up on the tab to work or can I just connect it if I set up on my laptop? I'll see what I can do with it now.

Yeah, try to save the files before you do a factory reset hehe. If you install Kies and then plug your phone in, it should recognize it and shouldn't need interaction with the phone (unless you have a secure PIN; then I think you need to unlock the phone for Kies to work, but I might be wrong, I've never used a secure lockscreen).
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by SpookDroid View Post
    Yeah, try to save the files before you do a factory reset hehe. If you install Kies and then plug your phone in, it should recognize it and shouldn't need interaction with the phone (unless you have a secure PIN; then I think you need to unlock the phone for Kies to work, but I might be wrong, I've never used a secure lockscreen).
    Yeah, I've just tried and mine does require a pin. I think I'm all out of luck here.

I'm sure there's a way to maybe access the files BEFORE the OS runs (through recovery and probably a command line in your PC), unfortunately, I'm not that experienced and cannot help you with that and I'm pretty sure you'd need warranty-voiding root to do that, but it's worth the try...

PS: You should ask, too, if there's a way for Samsung to back up your tablet BEFORE attempting repair.

Just out of curiosity (and maybe to pitch in ideas if they come up), what exactly have you tried to 'bring it back'?