Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Michael Vieux
  • 2 Post By Hurrycanejohn
  • 1 Post By brosko
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Tab 3 8" looses track of time/date?

So I decided to finally buy an Android tablet and loving the blown up experience. One thing that is bugging me though is the tablet lacks to ability to automatically set the date/time or keep it once it dies. Is there anyway I can get it from loosing date/time and automatically set?

Thanks

Default Re: Tab 3 8" looses track of time/date?

Welcome to Android Central! I saw someone else post about this issue recently. When I checked the Tab 3 8.0 support site, it appears that there really is no option for automatic time and date, which is somewhat baffling to me--here's the support site:

There are some apps available that can sync your clock, but I think they all require rooting. Here's one:

Quote Originally Posted by WhaleTrain View Post
    One thing that is bugging me though is the tablet lacks to ability to automatically set the date/time or keep it once it dies.

Thanks
    Sounds like a deal breaker. :-)

Seriously, why would you let the tablet die? I set the time and date when I purchased the Tab 3 months ago and I haven't touch it since, the date is still correct and the time is still correct.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by Hurrycanejohn View Post
    Sounds like a deal breaker. :-)

Seriously, why would you let the tablet die? I set the time and date when I purchased the Tab 3 months ago and I haven't touch it since, the date is still correct and the time is still correct.

Me too. I have had mine almost 5 months and not one time have I had to reset time. When it gets down to 5% or so I charge it.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

I suppose it's because of my nature when it comes to buying and using new tech "unprotected" so to speak. I'm scared of scratching it or bumping it.

I've not got a case yet for it, ordered one last week, and don't really touch the tablet that often as I don't have a screen protector yet or the case. It just sits there for now in my tablet stand and so I loose track of time and the tablet dies. Once I get a case and screen protector, it will then get properly used haha.

It's weird how they haven't implemented the auto function as many other tablets do and so do iPads etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WhaleTrain View Post
    I suppose it's because of my nature when it comes to buying and using new tech "unprotected" so to speak. I'm scared of scratching it or bumping it.

I've not got a case yet for it, ordered one last week, and don't really touch the tablet that often as I don't have a screen protector yet or the case. It just sits there for now in my tablet stand and so I loose track of time and the tablet dies. Once I get a case and screen protector, it will then get properly used haha.

It's weird how they haven't implemented the auto function as many other tablets do and so do iPads etc.
    I agree it is weird. It should have that.

Yes it is weird.
    Weird that you're obsessing about something that really isn't an issue.
    Just use your tablet and charge it when the battery gets low and this won't happen. Like other commentors I set the date when I received my 2 tablets last year and haven't had to redo it since.
    Enjoy your tablet.
    bluzman likes this.

I don't blame the OP or anyone else for wondering about this issue. I would expect any modern connected device to be able to set the date and time automatically, because why not? It has access to plenty of information on the web that can tell it what the correct time is. Granted, Android devices that don't have a cellular radio can't figure out the time zone automatically, but they should still be able to determine GMT easily (and then the user sets the time zone manually).

It's also not that unusual for a tablet to run out of battery from time to time. I don't use my 10" Transformer TF300 every day, because it isn't my daily driver, so sometimes it shuts off automatically when it reaches the low battery state. I agree that it would be a hassle to have to manually reset the time whenever this happens. Sure, it's not the end of the world, but the question here is why would they even design it that way?

OMG - This is really silly, Samsung in an effort to save money obviously went out of their way to deprive us of this important function.

It's not like they purposely left off the SD card slot. :-)

bluzman and Michael Vieux like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Vieux View Post
    Yes it is weird.
    Weird that you're obsessing about something that really isn't an issue.
    Just use your tablet and charge it when the battery gets low and this won't happen. Like other commentors I set the date when I received my 2 tablets last year and haven't had to redo it since.
    Enjoy your tablet.
    I am NOT obsessing about it, as a matter of fact it has never even happened to my tablet. I am one of the other commentors you mention that set it and never looked back. I was just saying it is a little weird that on a device like this that does almost everything and has access to almost anything it doesn't get its date and time automatically. Oh and I am enjoying my tablet thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    I am NOT obsessing about it, as a matter of fact it has never even happened to my tablet. I am one of the other commentors you mention that set it and never looked back. I was just saying it is a little weird that on a device like this that does almost everything and has access to almost anything it doesn't get its date and time automatically. Oh and I am enjoying my tablet thanks.

Sorry, lost track of who was who

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Vieux View Post
    Sorry, lost track of who was who
    no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I don't blame the OP or anyone else for wondering about this issue. I would expect any modern connected device to be able to set the date and time automatically, because why not? It has access to plenty of information on the web that can tell it what the correct time is. Granted, Android devices that don't have a cellular radio can't figure out the time zone automatically, but they should still be able to determine GMT easily (and then the user sets the time zone manually).

It's also not that unusual for a tablet to run out of battery from time to time. I don't use my 10" Transformer TF300 every day, because it isn't my daily driver, so sometimes it shuts off automatically when it reaches the low battery state. I agree that it would be a hassle to have to manually reset the time whenever this happens. Sure, it's not the end of the world, but the question here is why would they even design it that way?

If it has a GPS, it should be able to figure what time zone it's in AND set the time/date correctly through the GPS network. After all, that's what my Garmin does.

Quote Originally Posted by garyft View Post
    If it has a GPS, it should be able to figure what time zone it's in AND set the time/date correctly through the GPS network. After all, that's what my Garmin does.
    It should but doesn't.
    B. Diddy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    It should but doesn't.
    Exactly. From what I've read, Android's code makes it figure out timezone based on cell signal, not GPS.

Mine loses a minute here and there. That's why it should have an auto date & time.