Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 Bluetooth Keyboard Won't Work

Z8Bevs

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hello all,

Thanks for having me here, this is my first time posting on this site. I recently purchased a Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 from Sprint as they're running a deal and they're cheap. I'm using the tablet for my startup company, we will be using it for route delivery. In order to make things more efficient when visiting customers and placing orders, I purchased a MoKo Bluetooth Keyboard Cover Case from Amazon. I also purchased a Zebra RW420 mobile receipt printer that I have already gotten to connect via Bluetooth with the tablet. However, when I try to use the Bluetooth keyboard that is already paired with the device, it does not work. I've tried factory resetting, unpairing/repairing, etc. Just typical troubleshooting protocol. I know my issue is not with the keyboard as it connects to other Android devices, such as my phone which is a Galaxy S4 and my buddy's tablet by NVIDIA; both are running Android 4.3 while I'm stuck at 4.2.2 on the Tab 3.

I literally JUST bought the device; should I return it and get something else? I got it because it was cheap and I'll only be using it for work so it doesn't have to be spectacular. Is it worth it to root the device as opposed to doing the latter? Are there any risks I have to worry about with rooting that could affect my deliveries (i.e. the device bricks)? Do I have any other options besides what I mentioned? Will I still be able to connect to Sprint's network even after it is rooted? I've been researching all night and the only thing I've really found was that 4.2.2 broke Bluetooth for a lot of devices and that the only way out of 4.2.2 on the Galaxy Tab 3 is to root it. I plan on taking it to the Sprint store tomorrow but figured I'd share my issue with others and come straight to you guys as I'm sure you'll probably be more informative.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to hearing from you all. :)

Z8Bevs

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Update: I went to Sprint, they said I can return it before the first 14 days is up if I'm not satisfied but there's nothing else they can do.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I no longer have my Tab 7 but I used bluetooth keyboards without problems when I had it.
I used mine for work also. With the data package mine was a real workhorse. I used it to keep track of 30 to 40 service techs, in 4 states.

When you scan for a new bluetooth device does it show up on the list?
You have all the Bluetooth settings on your tablet set to allow discovery?

Z8Bevs

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
Hey Michael, thanks for your response. The device is paired, the keyboard just doesn't register. It registers on my Galaxy S4, which is Android 4.3, but it doesn't register on the Galaxy Tab 3 which is 4.2.2

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Sorry , not much of a Bluetooth expert.
Strange though that it works on the other devices but not the Tab 7.
You've done the old standby and rebooted the tablet?
And gone through the settings on the other devices to see if there is anything different?

Take the keyboard into Sprint and see if they will let you try to Pair it to the display model.

Z8Bevs

Jan 9, 2014
Visit site
I've gone through the typical troubleshooting protocol and they did the same thing when I took it to Sprint; they basically said I can either return it or wait for Android 4.3 to be released on the Tab 3. I'm convinced that it is Android 4.2.2 that is causing it as that's what I've seen in my research; Bluetooth was rewritten in 4.2.2 and broke Bluetooth for a lot of devices. I'm considering rooting it and putting either 4.1 or 4.3 on it, I just have a few questions:

1) Will it rooting/flashing it affect its ability to connect to Sprint's mobile network?
2) I'm using it for route delivery so I can't have it brick on me while I'm out; what are the chances/common causes of bricking?
3) Would I be better off with 4.1 or 4.3? Which is more stable (if either)?

Thanks again for your responses.

kgragert

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
I've gone through the typical troubleshooting protocol and they did the same thing when I took it to Sprint; they basically said I can either return it or wait for Android 4.3 to be released on the Tab 3. I'm convinced that it is Android 4.2.2 that is causing it as that's what I've seen in my research; Bluetooth was rewritten in 4.2.2 and broke Bluetooth for a lot of devices. I'm considering rooting it and putting either 4.1 or 4.3 on it, I just have a few questions:

1) Will it rooting/flashing it affect its ability to connect to Sprint's mobile network?
2) I'm using it for route delivery so I can't have it brick on me while I'm out; what are the chances/common causes of bricking?
3) Would I be better off with 4.1 or 4.3? Which is more stable (if either)?

Thanks again for your responses.

Really, wait for 4.3. I think they are giving you the run around. Sprint is only marginally faster than Verizon with updates, and Verizon moves about as fast as the tectonic plates :)

Tyler Jeski

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I just got the tab 3 and bought the same keyboard as you and I am experiencing the same problems. And have done the same things. I also had problems with my wifi when I turned on the bluetooth I was curious if you had those problems as well. My tab is the 7 inch on AT&T of that makes a difference. And it is also running Android 4.2.2 os.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I've tried the Sprint model with three demo keyboards at Staples all intended for iPad and they all worked. Don't recall the model numbers.