Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Navigate without wifi

I have a Tab 3 10.1 wifi-only. There is an app for navigation and the tablet supposedly has GPS. Yet when I try to use navigation when I am out of the office, I get an "No Internet Connection" error.

Is there a way to actually use GPS on this machine?

Default Re: Navigate without wifi

To use navigation it has to connect momentarily to WiFi to download the directions for the navigation route, after it downloads directions for route it no longer needs WiFi as it uses GPS to track you as you drive. Absolutely awesome if you ask me.
    You can also just open up maps and turn GPS on, drive around and watch yourself on the screen moving and navigate. Manually that way.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Okay. so navigation when I am out in the field really isn't possible since I won't have access to wifi to establish a route, but I can use the maps feature with GPS.

Can Maps find a location without wifi or will it only be good to show me where I am?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McEwen View Post
    Okay. so navigation when I am out in the field really isn't possible since I won't have access to wifi to establish a route, but I can use the maps feature with GPS.

Can Maps find a location without wifi or will it only be good to show me where I am?

Thanks.
    I am pretty sure just to show you where you are at. I think yo u need wi fi to search locations. Not 100% certain however.
    In my area wi fi is not a problem, my cable provider (optimum) has a wifi hot spot literally every half a mile or so on the main roads. Almost anywhere I am at wifi is only aseconds to a minute away. Since I am a customer of theirs I ge t access to unlimited wifi for up to 5 devjces completely free. It's almost as good as having a cell company with 4g!

Just download a navigation program that keeps the maps onboard like Copilot or alternatively if your staying in a small geographic area you can preload map segments in Google maps before you leave.

Posted via Android Central App
    Thanked by:
    brosko 

The default maps app cannot locate nearby places without Internet access. For that feature, you'll need to download an app that stores that data in an offline database.