Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Ok well I'm from Canada first off so the prices listed are in Canadian dollars. I can get today a brand new in sealed box from a person for $110 cnd no tax. Also no warranty. I also can get the new tab 3 8 inch for $214 cnd plus tax and full warranty from futureshop. What should I get.
    First main question is. What is the latest android version on both of these. Any possibility of future updates. I would kind of like kitkat but don't really want to root.
    My main reason for a tablet is to surf the web, check mail and play a few games from the store. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    The tab 3 7.0 (wifi) is very functional but relatively weak compared to the tab 3 8.0 (wifi). Between having double the useful RAM, bigger screen, higher rez, faster chip...I think Multi Window also...between those two models getting the 8.0 for ~200cnd is a better idea. Nexus 7 can be had on that budget but it's more fiddly and has questionable design choices.

    Tab 3 7.0 (LTE) impressions and request for non LTE numbers Sadly no one has posted their own live numbers but for 3D games the 8.0 is well ahead of the 7.0 (wifi). I do not know whether 7.0 (lte) like mine is available in Canada but it seems clearly faster than the 8.0 from the only numbers I can compare.

    If a model has 4.1.2 like the 7.0 (wifi) you cannot move apps to SD but the media storage is expandable and should be done right away. If it has 4.2.1 or 4.2.2 I think it will move apps to SD also. I think all models of Tab 3 will get at least one major update to the OS but Samsung does not guarantee when or what version they will update.
    Thanked by:
  3. #3  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    The tab 3 7.0 (wifi) is very functional but relatively weak compared to the tab 3 8.0 (wifi). Between having double the useful RAM, bigger screen, higher rez, faster chip...I think Multi Window also...between those two models getting the 8.0 for ~200cnd is a better idea. Nexus 7 can be had on that budget but it's more fiddly and has questionable design choices.

    Tab 3 7.0 (LTE) impressions and request for non LTE numbers Sadly no one has posted their own live numbers but for 3D games the 8.0 is well ahead of the 7.0 (wifi). I do not know whether 7.0 (lte) like mine is available in Canada but it seems clearly faster than the 8.0 from the only numbers I can compare.

    If a model has 4.1.2 like the 7.0 (wifi) you cannot move apps to SD but the media storage is expandable and should be done right away. If it has 4.2.1 or 4.2.2 I think it will move apps to SD also. I think all models of Tab 3 will get at least one major update to the OS but Samsung does not guarantee when or what version they will update.
    Apps to SD isn't supported by any version after 4.0, which is what both of these have.
    Depending on the model, these will probably get 4.3, but not sure about 4.4

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    For the price I'm getting these at. $110 no tax for the 7 inch. I think this is a wow price.
    For about $214 plus tax for the 8 inch I think is ok but not great.
    I know of the difference in speed. I'm just a little worried about getting any future updates.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    My Tab 3 7.0 (LTE) with 4.2.2 can move programs to SD using the Application Manager. Samsung explicitly patched this in.

    In addition SD Card - Tab 2 and Tab 3 clearly states that the 8.0 already has this function also. Which is backed up by multiple sources listing the 8.0 as having shipped with a version of Samsung's patched 4.2.2 which was their first 4.x distribution to reintroduce app2sd.

    You may have made many posts to this site but please ensure they are accurate before committing them....sig noted.


    Gates59: If you want to play games and are concerned about storage (3 games ate 7GB on my tablet), get the 8.0 ...and the warranty is just a bonus. If you mainly plan to read and possibly use a video service, the 7.0 (wifi) should be enough. My opinion.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    The 8 is definitely the way to go! It has 4.2.2 and you CAN move apps to sd card.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Thanks for the reply. Should I buy the 7 inch anyways. I'm sure I can make a few bucks on it. Seems like localy they are going right now for $169.99 on sale. $110 all in is kind of hard to pass up.
  8. #8  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    My Tab 3 7.0 (LTE) with 4.2.2 can move programs to SD using the Application Manager. Samsung explicitly patched this in.

    In addition SD Card - Tab 2 and Tab 3 clearly states that the 8.0 already has this function also. Which is backed up by multiple sources listing the 8.0 as having shipped with a version of Samsung's patched 4.2.2 which was their first 4.x distribution to reintroduce app2sd.

    You may have made many posts to this site but please ensure they are accurate before committing them....sig noted.


    Gates59: If you want to play games and are concerned about storage (3 games ate 7GB on my tablet), get the 8.0 ...and the warranty is just a bonus. If you mainly plan to read and possibly use a video service, the 7.0 (wifi) should be enough. My opinion.
    I know you can move some apps to an external SD, but it's at the discretion of the app developers. So not every app can be moved...
    Even then, it was my understanding that only a minimal amount of the app was stored. So it's not even worth doing it
    The sig is there as a joke hehe

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    It mainly depends how modern the app is packaged. Some Google Play apps the extra files are auto installed to SD when you download the program now. A few apps (esp 3rd party market) can be monolithic several-hundred-MB .apk's...all I know is even with app2sd I have only 4GB internal storage left Very glad Bard's Tale and some other big downloads could be pushed out.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Gates59, based on what you've said, I'd buy the 7.0 for 110 and then sell it for as much as I could get, then buy the 8.0. I bought the 7.0 and after a few weeks wished I had sprung for the 8.0...even though it cost about $70 more. The improved features are worth the extra...by a long shot!!

    And the warranty is very important, and you'll wish you had it should something go wrong with the tablet.
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Sideman if you live in the US try to get $100 for the 7.0 that you've got, then get the 7.0 LTE from Sprint for $50 (no activation fee). Go to your online acct management switch to $5 'plan' and go into Wireless network setup in the tablet; disable mobile data. Sweet!
  12. #12  
    UJ95x's Avatar

    Posts
    5,455 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,534 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    Sideman if you live in the US try to get $100 for the 7.0 that you've got, then get the 7.0 LTE from Sprint for $50 (no activation fee). Go to your online acct management switch to $5 'plan' and go into Wireless network setup in the tablet; disable mobile data. Sweet!
    He's in Canada though

    Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

    R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    Sideman if you live in the US try to get $100 for the 7.0 that you've got, then get the 7.0 LTE from Sprint for $50 (no activation fee). Go to your online acct management switch to $5 'plan' and go into Wireless network setup in the tablet; disable mobile data. Sweet!
    Sprints deal is 50 bucks plus 2 year contract? I might return mine to target if thats a better deal? I paid 140 for my wifi tab 3

    50 bucks with tax plus 5 buck for two years is only 200. Is the 5 bucks just 5 bucks or is there all kinds of fees like a cell

    Posted via Android Central App
    Last edited by xmostwanted559x; 02-04-2014 at 12:43 AM.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    It's difficult to say exactly. I think with tax $6-7/mo...? I have several other devices. All I know it is much more powerful and has more features, even the infrared remote turned out decently. The data plan can be fudged around on a 'need' basis, and the overage billed per MB not per whole data tier. I think the 24mo price at minimum service is $~220?

    I think Sprint just bumped down one of their Galaxy phones based on the same chip to $100, I may get it for the consistency of user interface. Last I looked the Mega has a higher satisfaction than the S4 on their web shop Despite the S4 being much better on paper. I didn't expect this tablet to make such an impression, it was supposed to be just a cheap toy...
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Quote Originally Posted by Sideman1 View Post
    Gates59, based on what you've said, I'd buy the 7.0 for 110 and then sell it for as much as I could get, then buy the 8.0. I bought the 7.0 and after a few weeks wished I had sprung for the 8.0...even though it cost about $70 more. The improved features are worth the extra...by a long shot!!

    And the warranty is very important, and you'll wish you had it should something go wrong with the tablet.
    I will check out the 8.0 when it comes in. I don't think I would root it though. I just kind of **** myself with this one. All good now I think. I was getting a small glitch on bootup. There was no boot logo and I had to wait a bit for bootup and then press power button twice to see main screen.
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Is the lte version much faster as far as feel wise compared to wifi version
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    The feel is a little smoother, typing and voice recognition feel a bit less glitchy too. Keyboard-swipe cursor scrolling really feels a lot better. There's less delay when switching between email/browser and the Gallery to attach pictures. Samsung's Photo Editor has not crashed at all, whereas on PXA986-based models there are reports of failed install or drawing tools crashing the app. It just got a little more love than the wifi version because it shares its SoC with Mega and new S4 Mini.

    This also means it's higher on the list to get Android 4.3 or even 4.4 later because the phones should be due at least one major update.

    Especially in games the LTE should feel a lot smoother, it also has the RAM to use better textures in some games. Asphalt 8 ran well with everything turned up before I uninstalled it. I don't know about difference in battery life, but I think the Wifi is more low-performance than low-power...my LTE has gotten 9hrs reading/browsing on battery and 5-6 playing games.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    My local sprint says my 5 bucks data plan will be 10 bucks after fees. I might pass if I have to pay 240 in data charges after two years
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Tab 3 7 or 8 inch. Please read

    Quote Originally Posted by xmostwanted559x View Post
    My local sprint says my 5 bucks data plan will be 10 bucks after fees. I might pass if I have to pay 240 in data charges after two years
    Haha I would not dispute there is a large gap between $200 and $300 total cost of ownership. I have other devices...after adding the tablet at $15+fees 2GB plan, and taking $8 insurance off an out of contract phone....my bill is up about $8/month which indicates few or none of the extra Sprint fees were duplicated for the new device

    It's your money and it depends how you use the device.

Similar Threads

  1. Lost my sound for video on Samsung Galaxy S3!!! Please help!
    By Lisa Waitt in forum US Cellular Galaxy S3
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2014, 12:20 AM
  2. Galaxy Tab 2 fried?
    By Sierra1167 in forum Samsung Galaxy Tab 2
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2014, 12:56 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 09:42 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 09:34 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-03-2014, 07:27 AM

Posting Permissions

B