Why won't Android update for this?

rastergrafx

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
This has been bugging me for a good long time.

I own both a Galaxy S4 and a Tab 3, and when I purchased them, they both started out with Android version 4.2.2. My S4 has been getting the Android updates as they came out (4.3 and now 4.4.2), but whenever I check for Android updates on my Tab 3 (same provider), it keeps telling me the software is "up to date." Bullcrap! It's been stuck on 4.2.2 for months!

What's the deal here? Why can't I just upgrade on my Tab 3 already? I have wi-fi turned on; I should have had this weeks ago.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I own both a Galaxy S4 and a Tab 3, and when I purchased them, they both started out with Android version 4.2.2. My S4 has been getting the Android updates as they came out (4.3 and now 4.4.2), but whenever I check for Android updates on my Tab 3 (same provider), it keeps telling me the software is "up to date." Bullcrap! It's been stuck on 4.2.2 for months!

What's the deal here? Why can't I just upgrade on my Tab 3 already? I have wi-fi turned on; I should have had this weeks ago.

I have checked several online libraries of stock ROMs, and all I can find is 4.2 for the Tab 3. So yes, as far as Samsung is concerned the device is up to date.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Different devices update at different times. This isn't ios where all devices get the update at the same time.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
It's not the same software. The firmware is different and so is the hardware, thus a differing kernel. Samsung hasn't yet unified their Phone and Tablet operating systems, nor even their phone to phone operating systems and in some cases, not even the differing software between different versions of the same device, such as the International S4 vs the International LTE S4, etc. The update checker is only checking to see if an OTA is has been staged or pushed to that specific device by the sending party, in this case, probably Samsung. 4.2.2 is the highest available because Sammy hasn't released anything further.

The OTA checker is correct in stating that the device is up to date in the context that it is on the highest available version of the software available to the device right now. That context will chance once an update is available for download. It is not providing any commentary about the relationship of it's current build to the most recent build of Android nor of the most advanced version of Android on the furthest updated Samsung device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Only the Nexus devices get on-time updates, most electronics vendors will carefully target 1-2 specific versions to update and support per device. This isn't Windows under the hood. And half the time they still mess up an update. With all the bad press on 4.4's compatibility and battery issues I am happy to wait for a *stable and reliable* update to my tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech