I have a new Samsung Tab 3, running Android 4.1.2

I can't figure out how to stop it vibrating. It vibrates whenever I press the Home button, and when I press and hold the Power On button, and at certain other times as well.

I have tried going to Settings / Sound. I can see a setting for "Device vibration", but that only lets me choose a "pattern". I can't see how to turn vibration off completely. I have also cleared the checkbox labelled "Vibrate when ringing" (but that's not really relevant, because this is not a phone and so will never ring).

Also, if I hold down the Power switch to bring up the Device Settings menu, I can see icons for Mute, Vibrate and Sound. Vibrate has a green line under it; the others have a grey line. But pressing those icons doesn't seem to have any effect.

I'd be grateful for any advice. I know it's not a particularly serious problem, but I do find the vibrating irritating, especially as it doesn't serve any useful purpose.

Mike
    08-06-2014 05:07 AM
    Try settings > sounds > vibrate on touch

Moto G from ACF
    08-06-2014 07:54 AM
    Try settings > sounds > vibrate on touch
    Thanks for your fast reply.

But I don't have "Vibrate on touch" on my Settings / Sounds screen.

The only options I see are:

Volume
    Device ringtone
    Device vibration (which lets me choose a pattern, but not turn vibrations off)
    Default notifications
    Vibrate when ringing (which is unchecked)
    Dialling keypad tone
    Touch sounds
    Screen lock sounds

Am I looking in the right place?

Mike
    08-06-2014 10:31 AM
    Just missing and option

Moto G from ACF
    Attached Thumbnails How to turn of vibrate-1407340412989.jpg  
    08-06-2014 10:53 AM
    No, I definitely haven't got that Vibrate on Touch option. It's not as if I forgot to scroll down to see it. It's just not there.

I wonder if I need a software update. I have Android 4.1.2. And the device is a Tab 3 (at least, that's what it says on the box).

Mike
    08-06-2014 03:09 PM
    Have you tried in the language /keyboard settings? If it is not there I can't think of anything else.

Moto G from ACF
    08-06-2014 06:59 PM
    08-06-2014 07:02 PM
    Javier,

The Vibrate on Touch option is definitely not there: not under Sounds and not under Keyboard Settings.

However, the link you gave me did the trick. I installed All-In-One Toolbox, which includes a Haptic Feedback switch. Once I switched that off, the vibrations went away.

I must say it's strange that Samsung should turn on vibration by default, and not provide a bult-in way of turning it off. I can't be the only person who doesn't like it.

Anyway, many thanks for your help with this. Now that I've discovered this forum, I'll be sure to visit often.

Mike
    08-07-2014 02:50 AM
    Very strange thing. Samsung put different settings in different kernels for the same JB version!
    I hate that haptic feedback as well and is one of the first things I change in a phone. Glad you fixed it.

Moto G from ACF
    08-07-2014 06:40 AM
    I dont even thing that the tab 3 has a vibrate motor in it! They dont have haptic feedback.
    08-07-2014 06:46 PM
    I dont even thing that the tab 3 has a vibrate motor in it! They dont have haptic feedback.
    I don't know if it has a motor, but I can assure you that it definitely vibrates.

Mike
    08-08-2014 02:27 AM
    Do you have the lte version or something? Maybe that one has haptic feedback?
    08-08-2014 05:22 AM
    Do you have the lte version or something? Maybe that one has haptic feedback?
    Sorry, don't know. It just says Galaxy Tab 3 on the box. There's nothing on the device itself, or in the Settings / About screen, that gives any more details of the model.

Mike
    08-08-2014 05:49 AM
    Yeah go into settings-about device. It has the model# there I think.
    08-11-2014 06:17 PM