Could my son have damagaed is charger as it is not connecting?

Siobhan De Faoite

Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
Charger not connecting

Hi, my son got his tablet for Christmas. The other day the charger stopped working. I have tried different cables that work on other devices. Has he damaged the connectors in the tablet itself? If so is this a common problem. He is quite careful but then again is only 9 so he may have left it in the wrong position whilst charging. Will it be a matter of sending it back to Samsung or can it be rectified by DIY? Thank you for your time.

Siobhán

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Re: Charger not connecting

try different cables, chargers (the block that plugs into the wall), different wall outlets in different rooms, and the USB port of a computer (please note that charging from a computer will be extremely slow, and if you're going to use a USB computer port, it's better to have the tablet turned off - it will speed things up a bit).

If you try different combinations of the above (different cables, chargers, outlets, etc) and nothing helps, then it may be the USB/charging port on the tablet. But please try the above options first. To speed the charging process, turn the tablet off so 100% of the charge is going to the battery and none of it is being used to keep the tablet running.

LockOnTech

May 3, 2014
Visit site

Since micro usb charging ports only plugs in one way, but is is possible it may be damaged by factory fault or other means like transportation damage. When you plugged it in, did the screen even turn on with the logo followed by the battery meter? Try using the official charger and leave it on the charge for a while.

Sent from my iPod touch 5th Gen using Tapatalk

crkckr

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site

I've had my share of issues with the charge port on my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0, including having it replaced under warranty less than a month in. I think the connector on this device is a bit on the 'delicate' side and will not tolerate any mishandling at all, unlike my wife's iPad Air, which appears to be bullet proof.

You should be able to monitor the charging process in Settings, which will at the very least tell if you if the device is charging or not (there are also apps that will monitor the process, such as Battery Doctor, which is free). Plug the charger cord into the device first, then the other end into the wall socket (while I'll admit it's unlikely, arcing can occur that can damage the pins if it is inserted or removed while the plug is connected to a power source. It's not a lot of current but it's enough eventually blacken the pins, causing problems. It's highly unlikely this could be a problem in your case, with it being so new.). Watch the Settings to see if it begins to charge. If it doesn't, gently move the connector at the device around just a bit to see if it starts charging.

My Galaxy Tab 3 currently has to be positioned "just so" before it will charge (the charge plug has to be angled up a bit), even after having the port replaced by a Samsung warranty station. If the plug is allowed to move from that 'just so' position, the charge process will stop. So, to charge my tablet, I have to put a tube of chapstick under the connector to hold it up at the perfect angle! It's a pain, but it works and unless the port stops working completely, I won't go through the hassle of having it replaced. I'm not sure why but they completely rearranged everything for that repair and it ultimately took a factory reset to get things going again. I was glad to have it working again but I was not in the least happy about what they did to my homepage.
Good luck,
Cheers,
Mike

The charger itself is an unlikely culprit in the event of a 'no charge' situation. They're fairly simple devices and seldom go bad.
Good luck,
Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar