Unable to charge my Galaxy Tab 3 using a USB connected to my computer

jgoss2325

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Two weeks ago I was able to connect my tablet to my computer using a usb cord and it would go straight to charging. I was on vacation for 2 weeks and now when I connect it uses the usb connection as storage. I cannot find where to turn off the connection for storage and use the computer to charge it. My only options are MTP and PTP, I don't want either.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Do you know if you used to have a "Charge Only" option when selecting your USB connection options? This option isn't very common any more on Android devices. It should still charge if you connect via MTP or PTP protocol. Is there any reason you don't want to connect via MTP? The tablet would still be fully functional.

jgoss2325

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I was never given an option in the past. It automatically went into charging mode. When I choose either MTP or PTP, it does not charge. The battery icon shows a red X in it and when I go to settings/Battery it says that it is not charging.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a different USB cable? Are you using the same USB port on the computer as before? Not all USB ports are necessarily powered.

jgoss2325

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
Yes I have tried 3 different cables including the one that came with the tablet. My computer has 4 different usb outlets and I have tried them all. Is it possible that there is a setting on my desktop that was changed and is causing the issue?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe there would be any computer settings that would change. Did you have the tablet with you on vacation? Do you recall anything happening to it, like a drop here or there? Check tablet's microUSB port and make sure there isn't any debris in there. Use a can of compressed air to blow it out.

jgoss2325

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
It charges just fine when I connect the usb cord to a wall charger or a car charger. So I can still charge it, its just more convenient when I was able to charge it through the desktop.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar