Is it the tablet or the battery?

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Is there a way to check if it is a bad battery vs a tablet causing drain?

At my pc shop we recently fixed 1 and took in one broken Tab 3 that were identical except for color, and the opposite parts were broken. The point: we had all the required parts between them to make a functional one. We put it together and it functioned perfectly, but the battery we used would give you like 30 minutes of screen time.

I bought a new one on ebay (said reconditoned, but in the listing said brand new... it showed up scratched up as if it was used) and we put it in. Now it can probably get 4 hours of screen time if left on nonstop, but the battery continues to go down at almost the same speed while asleep.

I can't tell if it's the battery fault or the device. Anyone know how I can check, other than buying another battery?

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Hi everyone,
Is there a way to check if it is a bad battery vs a tablet causing drain?
I can't tell if it's the battery fault or the device. Anyone know how I can check, other than buying another battery?
A good battery should drop only around 18 to 20% after 1 hour of playing movie. A fresh setting after factory reset and don't have any change, the tablet should drop under 12% after playing movie for 1 hour with Wifi , bluetooth are off. and auto brightness .That's the way to verify a good battery.
You already replaced battery and the same thing happens, I meant short battery life or quick discharge, you should look for this battery connector:
Sun May 24 11-43-16.jpg

Assume you know how to solder, using a screw driver or something solid and look closely under magnified glass, gently push this connector or lift it, if it's moving then you need to re solder this battery connector. Another test, slap hard on the back cover at the location of the battery connector with your hand if gently tap doesn't work, if your tablet shut down immediately, then the battery connector's solders already cracked or loose.
Apply flux, reheat and add more solder to secure these six pins to mainboard. It will fix the quick discharge problem.
After this, test your battery again by maximum loads or setting and monitor how much it drops after one hour, as I said above, good battery should not drop more than 20%.

Last edited:

MedicD

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
A good battery should drop only around 18 to 20% after 1 hour of playing movie. A fresh setting after factory reset and don't have any change, the tablet should drop under 12% after playing movie for 1 hour with Wifi , bluetooth are off. and auto brightness .That's the way to verify a good battery.
You already replaced battery and the same thing happens, I meant short battery life or quick discharge, you should look for this battery connector:
View attachment 178820

Assume you know how to solder, using a screw driver or something solid and look closely under magnified glass, gently push this connector or lift it, if it's moving then you need to re solder this battery connector. Another test, slap hard on the back cover at the location of the battery connector with your hand if gently tap doesn't work, if your tablet shut down immediately, then the battery connector's solders already cracked or loose.
Apply flux, reheat and add more solder to secure these six pins to mainboard. It will fix the quick discharge problem.
After this, test your battery again by maximum loads or setting and monitor how much it drops after one hour, as I said above, good battery should not drop more than 20%.

Hey thanks for the advice, sorry I didn't respond sooner. I found the solution! It's the cameras, they must not be connected properly. Neither work with any app (says camera failed) and if you try to run a camera app, the whole device gets warm and does quickly. After I disabled all camera apps, this thing is getting 2 weeks standby with like 6+ hours of standby time. Eventually I might fix the cameras but right now the 2.5 year old doesn't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC