Thoughts from Original Tab Owners who made the upgrade.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have had my new tab for 24 hours now and I feel like overall it is a good upgrade. I have not spent too much time with honeycomb but it seems like it will suit my purposes. I have mostly been itching for an upgraded hardware specs. My original galaxy tab was getting very slow and crashing quite often. The galaxy tab plus is thin and light and seems very quick to navigate through menus and open applications. Of course I would prefer a screen with higher resolution but the screen is very bright and easy on the eyes like the original. The only hardware complaint that I have is about the camera. It seems to take a second or two longer to get focused and the video quality is very very grainy. If they are going to leave the megapixels the same I would've thought they could have at least improved the camera sensor. I don't think the camera is bad enough that I will return this and go back to the original tab but it sure is close. I use my camera on the tab when I am out and about for work so it probably means more to me then for most. If you don't mind a slightly slower and poorer camera sensor then I think you will be very happy making this upgrade.

I would love to hear what other original galaxy tab owners think who have made the upgrade. Was it worth it?

Sent from my SGH-T869 using Tapatalk

LouCap

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
OMG, it was SO worth it! The original GT comes no where near the 7.0 Plus in terms of performance. I've been so impressed by how fast and smooth the Plus is, that I haven't even compared the two camera's yet. I have taken a few pictures though, and they look fine to me. I use my new Galaxy Tab Plus every day, and I haven't looked back once.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
After another day I am getting used to the camera. One thing I really do like about the T-Mobile version is they have their own messaging app installed. It's really cool to have honeycomb and still have a normal messaging application without having to jump through hoops with Google voice. I was worried that I was going to lose that without having a regular phone operating system.

npath

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I also upgraded from the original Galaxy Tab 7 and find the new version to be much faster, thinner, lighter, and just a better overall experience. I really like having Honeycomb on a 7 inch tablet. I think the camera seems pretty good for a tablet, certainly better than the iPad 2. I no longer have the original Tab for comparison.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

00r101

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I bought the original Sprint Galaxy Tab for $550 in November of 2010. Now in November of 2011 I bought the Tab 7 plus for $400. 16x the built in memory, 2.8 times the processor speed. Android 3.2 vs 2.2. Faster WiFi and an ir blaster.What's not to love? Plus its lighter, thinner and the rounded edges are easier to hold. Wow, I love Moore's law.

red-beard

Jan 5, 2009
Visit site
I bought the orig GT after a Nook (went to wife) and a Viewsonic G Tab. The GT is the right size. 10 is bulky and not easily one hand-able.

I upgraded the original to 2.3 and it was unstable. This just works. Love the interface and the thinner profile.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I am totally in love with this device. I have gotten used to the camera and it does indeed take better, clearer pictures and has more settings. This really feels like a tablet whereas my OG tab felt like abig phone. Not that it was a bad thing at the time given the only alternative was the iPad and I wanted more screen real estate. I have the Tmobile version and the GPS locks really fast and Google navigation is spot on. I'm getting 6-8 mbs down and 2 up in Denver. Really a worthy upgrade. I have had no sleep of death and do have the dim issue in the browser.

sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus

pastapup

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I have a 7.0 plus and can't figure out to turn off the front camera light without shutting down the tab. I've read the manual and haven't found an answer. Any helpers?

conchchowder

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Simply waiting for the unit to come bundled with ICS.

Contrary to what someone posted here, Honeycomb was NOT designed for tablets; it was designed for the Moto Xoom to compete with the iPad. Period.

Ice Cream Sandwich is the FIRST system to be designed for TABLETS, not just a stop-gap.

pastapup

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Turns out it's called the Torch Light (but no search in the manual finds those terms) and also functions as the flash. Anyway, once it was turned off in "settings" there is no problem.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Just picked up mine today... I switched from an Original GT on Verizon to a GT+ on Tmobile. Its definitely faster... And I LOVE 4g, but im not so sure about Honeycomb. I have already seen 2 force closes (both on the Androidcentral app) and there hve been some quirks (such as it was launching facebook when i download different apps- luckily that stopped!). Seems to me that 2.3 was much more stable. I dont think Honeycomb was ready for release...

EDIT: I may have jumped the gun a bit. While I still have force closes on Androidcentral's app (and had a widget that was constantly closing) everything else seems to be working better now... While I do think that Gingerbread was more stable, i am beginning to like Honeycomb too.

Last edited: