Questions about the 7 plus

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I just returned a Nook Tablet after the 1.4.1 update fiasco. I am now looking at the SGT 7+, which is what I should have done in the first place. I have a couple of questions about this tab. First, both on this forum and on the XDA forum for the 7+ I see a lot about the "screen of death" issue. Is this pretty universal for the device and everybody is experiencing it? Should this be a deal breaker? Second, I have an interest in the 7+ for reading, mainly ebooks, as well as news sources and PDFs. I have both the Kindle and the Nook STR so order books from both sources. Do the Kindle and Nook apps work well on this device? I've played around with Aldiko a little on my smartphone so am familiar with it . Third, I haven't heard much from people using the Dolphin HD browser as an alternative to the stock browser on the 7+. Any feedback here? Well, that was more than a couple so I'll stop but appreciate the help to make up my mind.

slyd0997

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have a GT 7+. My first one had the Sod but my second one does not. I don't think it's a problem on all 7+ because I don't see as much talk about it on the forums as I would expect. Some people seem to live with it. Mine had it about once a day and I choose to not live with it. It was a minor inconvenience but I hated it. I read magazines on the nook app - nice to not have them piled up on the coffee table. It a get app better than kindle people for magazines. I use the kindle app for books. Read the Steve Jobs book on a cross country flight and watched a movie I ripped on to the administration card. Battery life is good. I also have a rooted EVO with a wireless tether app that works perfect and Skype video calls are perfect. I love this thing.

slyd0997

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Stupid auto correct. Makes us all look drunk. Nook is a better app than kindle for magazines and I put a movie on the sd card...

RhinoDoc

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have used both Kindle and Nook for book reading, and prefer Kindle. The primary reason is that if I want to look up a word, I tap and hold and it pulls up the definition (I had to download a dictionary, but I think it was free). With Nook, if I look it up it takes me to dictionary.com, so if I don't have a connection it does nothing for me (I have WiFi only). It also takes a lot longer to look a word up that way. I have played with Zinio for magazines and it works fine, but I don't read a lot of magazines so I have limited experience there.

FloridaPhil

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I just returned a Nook Tablet after the 1.4.1 update fiasco. I am now looking at the SGT 7+, which is what I should have done in the first place. I have a couple of questions about this tab. First, both on this forum and on the XDA forum for the 7+ I see a lot about the "screen of death" issue. Is this pretty universal for the device and everybody is experiencing it? Should this be a deal breaker? Second, I have an interest in the 7+ for reading, mainly ebooks, as well as news sources and PDFs. I have both the Kindle and the Nook STR so order books from both sources. Do the Kindle and Nook apps work well on this device? I've played around with Aldiko a little on my smartphone so am familiar with it . Third, I haven't heard much from people using the Dolphin HD browser as an alternative to the stock browser on the 7+. Any feedback here? Well, that was more than a couple so I'll stop but appreciate the help to make up my mind.

I just picked up a Galaxy Tab 7+ yesterday to replace my rooted Nook Tablet (locked at 1.4.0) . DO IT! Like you, I just got sick of messing with the Nook crap and now that Best Buy have the GT7+ for $349, the price difference is only $100.

Setup was a breeze and market now shows all the compatible Apps. No sideloading needed. :eek:

Weirdly, the Nook app from the market is actually better than the app loaded on the tablet. Go figure. Page animations work and there is a wider selection of fonts than on the NT. Formatting of magazines is equal to the NT.

The Kindle app is okay but you cannot change the font or margin or linespacing. The only option is to change text size.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Mycopsycho

mfldmike

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I got mine a couple days ago just because it was on sale at Best Buy. There are a few quirks with it but I do like it...I actually returned an ipad to get this and the Kindle Fire for the wife. I wanted to be able to manipulate files better than the ipad, if the jailbreak comes soon I'll just get another and give this to my son to play with.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Bought the 7Plus from Best Buy and so far I'm lovin it. Much better than the Nook Tab I returned.

I agree. Got mine yesterday from Crutchfields. Now I have access to all my ebooks -- Nook, Kindle, and Google --as well as my apps from the Amazon App Store and the Android Market. And without rooting.

Sent from my Motorola Atrix 4G via Tapatalk.

nrage23

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I picked mine up before the holidays and I am selling my ASUS Transformer. I have never had the screen of death. The 7+ is much snappier the the Tegra 2 tablets. I have had the following: Archos 5IT, Huwawei S7, Viewsonic Gtab, Acer A500, and the Eeepad Transformer. The 7+ is the best of the bunch by far.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
As far as the 'Sleep of Dealth' issue... After I took out the Micro SD card, I have not had the issue... Coincidence? Maybe.

mohawkx

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Amazon has 32gig micro SD cards from Sandisk for 25.00 as of yesterday. Got one and a really neat leather holder for the tab 7plus. The stand swivels to display it either landscape or portrait. 15.97.

johnbrayden

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, i too have the "screen of death/death sleep" on my SGT 7+, Awesome tab overall, but once a day I experiance this problem. I have to hold the power button down for about 10-15 seconds so it can reboot. I just bought this tab on the 5th of Jan of this year. Love everything else about it but for me the daily reboot is becoming annoying, I am considering taking it back if this issue is not resolved within the 14 day return period.

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
With Nook, if I look it up it takes me to dictionary.com, so if I don't have a connection it does nothing for me (I have WiFi only). It also takes a lot longer to look a word up that way.

The dictionary on the Nook app drives me crazy. I'm finding the definitions incomplete, especially if I'm reading something in older English, say from the 17th or 18th century. Plus, the dictionary is loaded with advertising. The Kindle app loads it's own dictionary with the app so definitions pop up immediately and are more complete. Just another example of how B&N produces something that is pretty good but in the end just doesn't get it quite right for the end user.

techandfixies

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
dolphin runs surprisingly well on a larger format. in particular the left swipe to bring all the bookmarks in view, the tab additions, and the flash on demand to save battery. as for the kindle non fires, they're incredible for reading but color screens with android apps have one thing they can never have and that is the autoscroll function by pixel where it just automatically just streams upward at any rate you want (the volume buttons control speed) so you can lay in bed with no hands and just read (native on coolreader and moonreader, the latter of which allows for two page landscape mode which i havent' found on any other reader other than ibooks on apple. really the only killer feature i feel that trumps e-ink for reading... pdfs feels small for the 7" format to me but it runs decent and clean.

s.

kindle 1,2,3,4,touch
ipad 1,2
tab plus 7
tmobile g2

Mishap64

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
For those who had the Nook Tablet, how did the screen compare?

Sent from my BNTV250 using Tapatalk

I just got my plus and just started playing with it. I think the Nook has better screen quality. Nook seems a little sharper. Movies looked better on the Nook also

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I have a Fire, but I'm thinking of selling it and picking up the 7+ for a full featured tablet, but not sure I want to with the SOD issues. Is there a workaround or a fix coming in the future? I've got some points on my Amazon card and can get it for a little over $300. I'd probably get the 8.9 if they had the 16gb, but they don't. Thanks!

Mycopsycho

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
I have a Fire, but I'm thinking of selling it and picking up the 7+ for a full featured tablet, but not sure I want to with the SOD issues. Is there a workaround or a fix coming in the future? I've got some points on my Amazon card and can get it for a little over $300. I'd probably get the 8.9 if they had the 16gb, but they don't. Thanks!

I've had my SGT7+ for a month now after returning my Nook Tablet. I've not had a single SOD experience to date. Before getting my Tab I lurked in the XDA forums for a long time and read everything posted about SOD. A lot I didn't understand technically, of course, but there seemed to be two common threads of agreement regarding WiFi behavior during sleep and SD media cards So the first app I loaded on my Tab was Auto Airplane Mode (Don version). Secondly, I bought a 16gb ScanDisk class 6 card and formatted it on my laptop using SDFormatter 3.1. I have not rooted my Tab since I'm satisfied with it stock. Did these things help? I don't know.

Also, I've thought of getting the 8.9 but have been put off by the size and slightly extra weight. I use my Tab primarily for reading books and PDFs with some surfing and email. The SGT7+ is portable, fast, smooth, etc., etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781