Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Shouldn't I have ICS by now??

Hi everyone. My Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus still does not have ICS!!! Does anyone know when I might get an update?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Shouldn't I have ICS by now??

If you are in the U.S. you are not alone. The official update is not yet available in this country. It is available in several other countries, and many are installing those builds. Best to wait if you are not familiar with hacking techniques. Could be any time now.
    Cbill
    Transformers (2), Xoom, Nook Color (MicroSD root), Galaxy 7+, Optimus V (root)

Should be anytime because cbill said the other versions of it have it and they always get updates first then us models get it a month or so after.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 on Ultimatum Rom and OC using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Wonderful!!! Thanks for the help!

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Flash it!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by fender7217 View Post
    Flash it!
    Idk how or I would

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by alebk07k View Post
    Idk how or I would
    Nonsense. Check my post here: Samsung start Android 4.0.4 updates Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

You can do it!
    Thanked by 2:

I used the method detailed here

Samsung start Android 4.0.4 updates Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus

It's done via PC but doesn't require root, which I believe Mobile Odin does.

It took me less than 10 minutes. The only difference from the linked thread is the firmware version and getting into download mode involved power and volume DOWN button (step h in linked thread).

The firmware version I used from http://www.samfirmware.com/

United Kingdom / Ireland 2012 July 4.0.4 P6210XXLPN

It is running perfectly.
    Thanked by 2:

Thanks!!! You guys RULE THE WORLD!!!

Shouldn't I have ICS by now??-screenshot_2012-08-02-17-34-04-1-.jpg
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The trouble I am having is I have a Mac, not a PC.

No Home Screen folders????

G1toevo & Fender:

I just installed the 6210 UK ICS using Standard Odin, and it worked great. Can't believe how smooth and quick this new OS is.

After doing the install, I thought I would take the guide provided by mastadon, and rework it a bit so it might be more appropriate for the 6210and perhaps a little more understandable overall.

Hopefully you guys can look this modification over and add to it and modify where needed, and perhaps we could end up with something that is beneficial to the others out there that are also contemplating biting the bullet. Hope you find this worthwhile. If it ends up being a pretty good product I would like to see it posted on some of the other sites also.

What do you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How Install upgrade OS using Standard ODIN SGT 7+

a. download samsung kies to get the correct driver for gt-p6210/computer connect.

b. download odin3 v.1.85: Odin3-v1.85.zip

c. download Stock Firmware from SamMobile.com | Everything for your Samsung Mobile | SamMobile (must register)

d. install Kies (this will load needed drivers and wont be used further

e. extract Odin3-v1.85.zip files to folder of choice..

f. extract firmware zip from sammobile . Extract zips until you get down to .tar.md5 file.

h. Open Odin3 v1.85.exe

i. Click PDA button and load 6210 .tar.md5 file into Odin.
    Click PIT button and load .pit file (found in either Odin or firmware download).

j. make sure to uncheck re-partition and check autorestart.. DO NOT HIT THE START BUTTON YET but leave Odin window open.

k. turn off your tablet.

l. Enter download mode (press volume up button + power button about 5 seconds)

m. plug the usb cable to your pc and your tablet

n. Check if pc recognizes your tablet by seeing if ID:COM n Odin window turns yellow and "Added!!" message in the message box lower left Odin window.

o. If so click start

p. Odin processing takes about 5 minutes, wait patiently. If all is going well the Odin window will show the update loading. The Tabs screen will also show it.

q. if there's a "SUCCEED" in the message box, your tablet will restart

r. wait about 10 minutes, you should get your ICS boot to system.
    Cbill
    Thanked by:

Did mine last night. Worked like a charm and ICS is so sweet and fast.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Has anyome successfully done this on a Mac?

ROM

Nice guide on using desktop Odin, cbill.

Quote Originally Posted by alebk07k View Post
    Has anyome successfully done this on a Mac?

Not sure about that. Might want to take to Google?

However, I would have to imagine using my version (Mobile Odin Lite) it wouldn't be a problem. All of the work is done on the tablet itself, other than simply transferring files if you choose to download them there first, and that wouldn't cause issues. But even those can be downloaded directly from XDA to the tablet.

Look into the method I posted because you don't actually need your computer for any heavy lifting. The app does all the work for you, you just need to put the right files in the right place, which isn't hard if you take your time and pay attention.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by cbill View Post
    G1toevo & Fender:

I just installed the 6210 UK ICS using Standard Odin, and it worked great. Can't believe how smooth and quick this new OS is.

After doing the install, I thought I would take the guide provided by mastadon, and rework it a bit so it might be more appropriate for the 6210and perhaps a little more understandable overall.

Hopefully you guys can look this modification over and add to it and modify where needed, and perhaps we could end up with something that is beneficial to the others out there that are also contemplating biting the bullet. Hope you find this worthwhile. If it ends up being a pretty good product I would like to see it posted on some of the other sites also.

What do you think.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    How Install upgrade OS using Standard ODIN SGT 7+

a. download samsung kies to get the correct driver for gt-p6210/computer connect.

b. download odin3 v.1.85: Odin3-v1.85.zip

c. download Stock Firmware from SamMobile.com | Everything for your Samsung Mobile | SamMobile (must register)

d. install Kies (this will load needed drivers and wont be used further

e. extract Odin3-v1.85.zip files to folder of choice..

f. extract firmware zip from sammobile . Extract zips until you get down to .tar.md5 file.

h. Open Odin3 v1.85.exe

i. Click PDA button and load 6210 .tar.md5 file into Odin.
    Click PIT button and load .pit file (found in either Odin or firmware download).

j. make sure to uncheck re-partition and check autorestart.. DO NOT HIT THE START BUTTON YET but leave Odin window open.

k. turn off your tablet.

l. Enter download mode (press volume up button + power button about 5 seconds)

m. plug the usb cable to your pc and your tablet

n. Check if pc recognizes your tablet by seeing if ID:COM n Odin window turns yellow and "Added!!" message in the message box lower left Odin window.

o. If so click start

p. Odin processing takes about 5 minutes, wait patiently. If all is going well the Odin window will show the update loading. The Tabs screen will also show it.

q. if there's a "SUCCEED" in the message box, your tablet will restart

r. wait about 10 minutes, you should get your ICS boot to system.
    Can't get much simpler than that.

In step l. I had to press volume down+power button. Then it took me to a confirmation Page where it said press volume up button to enter download mode.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by biggeno313 View Post
    No Home Screen folders????
    Two ways to do it.

1. Long press screen and select Add to Home screen.
    2. Long press an app and drag it to Create Folder at the top of the screen.
    I prefer the standard ICS way of creating folders by just dragging apps on top of another as well as the look but no real biggie.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks a lot...didn't even notice the add folder option on top. Like you its no big deal. Just curious.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Android Central Forums

I followed the instructions in this link and successfully updated my Samsung Galaxy 7 Plus (wifi only) to the UK version of ICS. It is running excellent on this update.

Today I noticed that the US version is now being pushed via KIES. I connected and received the message that it was not able to update. I suspect it is because of the ODIN update using the UK ICS version that I previously did.

What would be the process to now update from the UK version of ICS to the US version?

If ODIN is again needed where might the US ICS rom version be found?

What are the differences between the US and UK versions of ICS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by umpapa View Post
    I followed the instructions in this link and successfully updated my Samsung Galaxy 7 Plus (wifi only) to the UK version of ICS. It is running excellent on this update.

Today I noticed that the US version is now being pushed via KIES. I connected and received the message that it was not able to update. I suspect it is because of the ODIN update using the UK ICS version that I previously did.

What would be the process to now update from the UK version of ICS to the US version?

If ODIN is again needed where might the US ICS rom version be found?

What are the differences between the US and UK versions of ICS?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....
    I think the ICS update was only for the T-Mobile branded version of the 7 Plus. I could be wrong so someone will have to confirm this for me.

I can't find anything about the wifi version being updated. Mine is working so well as is that I haven't really paid too much attention to the updates but I'm assuming when it does come out for the wifi version, it will be the same process just with the US version of the firmware.

If you want to take it back to the stock HC, here is the firmware for it..

GT_P6210_Stock_HC_Odin_Package.zip .:: | by strumer373 for Galaxy Tab II 7.0

Someone more knowledgeable than I will have to chime in to let us know if it's possible to go back to stock HC from ICS.

I don't plan revert back myself but if you do, let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Well it looks like some with the wifi only US version are getting the update via KIES as well.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1832487
    Last edited by g1toevo678; 08-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.

ICS is out there for everyone, but will not be available to many EXCEPT as an update using the Samsung Kies PC application with the tablet running tethered via cable to the PC. I upgraded mine this morning. It took a while but worked flawlessly. My 7+ is now on ICS.

I am not looking to revert either. However, would like to put correct version on tab at some point.

Hopefully a Odin package for US version will show up.

Cool Re: Shouldn't I have ICS by now??

Quote Originally Posted by umpapa10 View Post
    I am not looking to revert either. However, would like to put correct version on tab at some point.

Hopefully a Odin package for US version will show up.
    I second That !!!

Wonder why Samsung is playing this in such a secretive manner. Perhaps something to do with the "Brickbug"?
    Cbill

Well, I decided to revert back to stock HC and update via KIES. After reverting and taking one OTA update, I connected it to KIES and it immediately prompted for the ICS update.

If you don't want to go through all that, the US firmware is supposedly already available online according to a thread here...

USA Galaxy Tab Plus firmware update via Kies is live - Page 2 - xda-developers

Someone there said he updated ok with it, but on sammobile it is showing as US Cellular. Decided not to mess with it myself.

If anyone is interested in reverting, I can post the steps I used. Pretty much same as above except stock HC firmware. I did get a boot loop at the Samsung splash screen so had to go into stock recovery and wipe data/cache. And of course, it will wipe all your data/settings/apps/etc.

I would suggest using the firmware noted in that thread and comparing it to the firmware I'm showing.

I can't tell any difference from the UK version. I did run Quadrant for comparative purposes and it does seem a little higher (ran it two times and both times got just above 3500 which IIRC is a little higher than what I was getting on the UK version).

Kernel is dated 8/7/12.

Update: Noticed that CW network app is not compatible with this version of firmware. Installed fine on the UK version.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shouldn't I have ICS by now??-screenshot_2012-08-14-15-20-44.jpg  
    Last edited by g1toevo678; 08-14-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast