1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Your suggestion

Hi, I just got a gt 7 plus today and was wondering if I should try to connect it to my comp thru kies and see if it has an update before I put in all my wifi info or does it not matter and those setting stays the same after an update? I got it through the bestbuy auction site so not sure what os it will have. By the way I have an intel imac with snow leapord. Is it even possible to do updates thru my imac?

ROM
    root/stock 4.1.2 and CM10

Default Re: Your suggestion

Yes, you should check for updates because a new Android version will wipe your system (ie. home screens, apps, etc.) No sense in setting everything up to updates and do it all again.

You can use Kies via Mac no problem. Just download the Mac version on Samsung's website.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thank you. I downloaded kies for mac however it says my device can't get updates thru kies. Is that because it is a mac or something with my device? Now if it's because it's on a mac would I be able to do software updates on a pc?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It worked for me connecting mine to a pc, now I have android 4.0.4

ROM

Ok glad it you got it. Kies is a terrible piece of software - very inconsistent. But if you can get it to work you're fine.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Is there other software to add files? I mostly add music and a few videos.I tried Android File Transfer but that didn't even recognize my tab. It was a pain trying to add the songs. I thought I could use the folder from one of the playlists on itunes to use to sync to my tab but i couldn't i had to go into the folder highlight about 100 songs at a time and add them .

ROM

You don't need software to transfer files, that's part of the beauty of Android. You aren't tied to an iTunes equivalent like an iPhone is. You can use the default file explorer on your PC or Mac to move files.

But if you are comfortable with a structured files organizer, I'd give AirDroid a try. It's works via WiFi and has a really nice interface.

Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks again. I like that airdroid app, it worked well on my mac with firefox didn't work with safari.