Ive decided to root, but having trouble!

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
So I caved and I have decided to root my Gt-P6210, I read a tutorial online, downloaded the zip file and I used astro to move it to my sd card but then when I go into recovery mode I cant find the file. What am I doing wrong?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
You can't root with the stock recovery. You need to flash ClockworkMod recovery or use a temporary CWM.zip to root (which you launch from the stock recovery, but it overrides the stock while in recovery mode to give more features).

Once you launch into CWM you'll be able to root.

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Fender, im so sorry, you probably think I am really stupid by now but the tutorial says download root.zip, put the device into download mode by pressing volume up and power when the device is off and select apply update from external source, is that not right?

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Android Central Forums

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That is right for just about any other Android device... But I don't think the stock recovery roots on the GT-P6210 for some reason. At least that was my experience.

You need to use ClockwodMod to install the root file. Flash CWM first, then it will automatically launch into ClockworkMod, then you can root.

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your help fender!!! I have now successfully rooted and flashed ICS to my Galaxy Tab!! Yayyyyy!!!! So I was trying to just download the file to my tablet and put it in the external sd card but it wouldnt let me for some reason (said permission denied) so I transferred the file through my computer and it worked! I had transferred the file from my computer before and then couldnt find it when I put the tablet into recovery mode, but then I realized that Safari on my mac was automatically unzipping the file and I needed to have the actual zip file, so I figured it out! Once I got it rooted, it was a breeze flashing ICS using Mobile Odin! Thanks again fender, I really do appreciate it!!! Now then....do I dare try and root my GS3?! Lol.
Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

kalebk07

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
Thank you, now I cant figure out why Tapatalk wont sound notifications! I get email notifications but none from within the app. :(

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk 2

liddellw1

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
You can't root with the stock recovery. You need to flash ClockworkMod recovery or use a temporary CWM.zip to root (which you launch from the stock recovery, but it overrides the stock while in recovery mode to give more features).

Once you launch into CWM you'll be able to root.
where do you d/l the temp CWM that you can flash from the stock 3e recovery?

liddellw1

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks! I will give this a try and post back the results.
CWM installed with no problem, however, could not get root.zip installed via the temporary CWM. I have tried everything to root this &*#@ tablet to no avail. I guess I am stuck like chuck. Still willing to try something else if there are suggestions.

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
CWM installed with no problem, however, could not get root.zip installed via the temporary CWM. I have tried everything to root this &*#@ tablet to no avail. I guess I am stuck like chuck. Still willing to try something else if there are suggestions.

What happens when you click the root file from CWM?

liddellw1

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
The CWM loops back to install zip from internal. When I attempt to install from external card I get nowhere except the constant loops. When I attempted to install the Root.zip file without CWM it won't install because of signature verification error message. When I disabled signature verification with CWM and attempted to install Root.zip I get the same loops. I am not new to flashing, however, this has me stumped!

fender7217

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Weird... I have no idea what to tell you. :(

-E- Maybe try finding a permanent CWM to flash? Maybe it's something with the temporary CWM and your device that just isn't happy.

liddellw1

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help. No problem, the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus is a great tablet even without root. I have upgraded to ICS. I mainly wanted root for programs like Titanium BU and Adfree Android and to possibly run some custom ROMs.

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
With cusom recovery (Clockwork Mod) you also get nandroid backups from recovery. This is the best backup recovery for the entire device, not just apps, system, cache that Titanium uses. I keep current backup for each, nandroid and Titanium. uses a lot of space, but with external sd, shouldn't be an issue for Sammy GT2 7.0.

I have Nexus 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463