Battery: Red "X" and Lightening Bolt

ScottCW

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
The same issue was happening to me when I forgot my charger at a hotel and purchased another Samsung charger from Amazon. The Red X was annoying!!! Someone told me to power off my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 then plug it into the wall, then to the device then turn the power back on. No more Red X! Hope this helps.

Pilotguy2k2

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Using a toothpick, clean the charging connector, the one at the end of charger, and then do the same at dock connection on tablet. Worked for me, no more dreaded red X.

Brandon Sp

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
we had the red x problem for months with one of our samsung galaxy 2 tabs.
had to rely on one cable for 2 identical tabs in the house.
eventually I cleaned both ends of usb cable with alcohol and toothbrush waited till dry then plugged into wall adaptor and tab.
it seems the connection was a bit dirty, ours works fine now.
if you still want to replace the cable
purchase a replacement Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet USB Cable: ECC1DP0UBECSTD
good luck

Last edited:

parkerusaf

Dec 3, 2013
Visit site
FINALLY, THE RED X IS GONE! I have two Galaxy Tablets and they both had the red X and would not charge. After hours of tech support and reading forums...the dang thing was just dirty. I used an alcohol swab from a medical kit to clean the usb cable and the port on the tablet. Ensuring that the tablet was off of course before I cleaned the port with a wet swab. A few seconds to dry and now they work again! Thank you for the great advise Brandon Sp!

we had the red x problem for months with one of our samsung galaxy 2 tabs.
had to rely on one cable for 2 identical tabs in the house.
eventually I cleaned both ends of usb cable with alcohol and toothbrush waited till dry then plugged into wall adaptor and tab.
it seems the connection was a bit dirty, ours works fine now.
if you still want to replace the cable
purchase a replacement Samsung Galaxy 2 Tablet USB Cable: ECC1DP0UBECSTD
good luck

ineedhelpformyprobs

Dec 8, 2013
Visit site
damn ugh i tried but its still there im starting to think its the battery's problem.not the charger.but i got the charging with my tablet off...and plss can someone resolve this with not buying stuffs.samsung or android please ffix this annoying thing.ugh

barneyuk

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,
My son and daughter both had the dreaded red X when the OEM charger was plugged in. I resolved this by copious amounts of switch cleaner into the tablet end of the charging cable, allowed to dry and HEY PRESTO! All is now well and both tablets charging fine.

I hope this helps.

chelle508

Apr 27, 2014
Visit site
Toothpick idea was great as long as you aren't rough. I used that and then blew air into both the tablet and charger and all is well. Turned out to be something minute on connectors so the full charge wasn't passing through! Very frustrating.... Was about to cry! Phew!

minbcrafter

May 10, 2014
Visit site
i do to mine like this
if you install custom roms
i have paranoid android now
charge from the 2.1 or 2A charger alot faster and charge from USB (PC) aswell also charge faster

obent

May 31, 2014
Visit site
This solution worked for me. I was stressing it because the tab isn't that old. Thanks for the info!

The same issue was happening to me when I forgot my charger at a hotel and purchased another Samsung charger from Amazon. The Red X was annoying!!! Someone told me to power off my Samsung Tab 2 10.1 then plug it into the wall, then to the device then turn the power back on. No more Red X! Hope this helps.

vetab

Dec 25, 2014
Visit site
Hello and merry Christmas to everyone,
I have got more or less the same problem, I purchased a Samsung galaxy note tab 4 from yourself and sadly it will not charge. I have a Samsung phone with the same charger and the charger that came with the tablet works fine with my phone but not the tablet. My phone charger won't charge the tablet either.
Also when the charger is plugged in, a red 'X' appears over the battery icon in the top right corner. The battery is now dead.
I also tried to charge the tablet from my laptop (usb) but it does not charge.
Do you have any sdvice?
many thanks in advice

cjb44

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
Does the "red X" mean damage is being done or just that it's charging slow. I plug by Tab into the USB on my docking station at work and get the X, using a wall charger, no X. I don't care if it's charging a little slow, just don't want to damage it.

Elahhez

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
I kind of have the same problem, However mine is charging even though there's a red cross over the battery as described in this thread. *puzzled* I haven't tried the "compressed air" or "alcohol" method yet. as I have neither.. But could this be a different problem maybe than a connector issue?

b3cca

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same problem on my Tab 2 7.0. Although my device AND charger are quite old I am quite worried that it could lead to something more serious. I am not using a 3rd party charger. I found that blowing into the ports works but I cannot access anything on my computer from it, meaning that YouTube is becoming even harder for me to manage. Anyone got any suggestions?
Thanks

sarahbonser1

Feb 20, 2016
Visit site
Why is there a red "x" and lightening bolt on the battery icon of my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus tablet? How do I fix this? Thanks. It also says that it is charging even when not plugged into adapter. When I am about to shut down the tablet it shows big battery charging from 100% to 80% with out being plugged in. Help!

This happened just now with me, I just had to make sure that the plug and attachment were secured. This is why it recharges slowly, there is less electricity getting through the barely attached output and plug add on. Hope this is the case with everyone else, but if not, please take your device into a repair shop to get it checked

jmtrap08

Sep 23, 2016
Visit site
Have a Tab A 9.7. Was not holding charge and thought the port may be damaged, so I replaced it. Installed in exact reverse order as disassembly.

Now shows Red X over battery whether on a charger (OEM) or unplugged. Battery runs out pretty fast.

Please advise.

francope

Oct 25, 2016
Visit site
Gat samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 it is showing a red x on the battery icon and it is showing that it is charging evenwhen not plug in to the adapter

dbonenfant

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
My spouse has been having the problem with the Red X over the charging icon. It is the OEM charger that came with the device when I bought it. It is charging, but slowly. Both connections are all the way in. (we are using the wall outlet, not the laptop) The device is a Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet.

Thank you,
Dana