Thinking of getting a Galaxy Tab 7.7

SaMaster14

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Well, let me preface this post by saying that I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone5. I also use Mac computers.

BUT, I've always been interested in Android (had a Blackberry for 5 years and just recently switched to iOS). I love my iPad for media and video, but since I got my iPhone, I find myself using my iPad less and less.

I'm a bit interested in getting a smaller tablet (Tab 7.7...) and am interested in the customization available to Android. I would use this for school and also for fun. That Ingress app looks cool as well.

Would this be a good purchase for me? Or should I wait for something new?

jtskier11

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, let me preface this post by saying that I have an iPad 3 and an iPhone5. I also use Mac computers.

BUT, I've always been interested in Android (had a Blackberry for 5 years and just recently switched to iOS). I love my iPad for media and video, but since I got my iPhone, I find myself using my iPad less and less.

I'm a bit interested in getting a smaller tablet (Tab 7.7...) and am interested in the customization available to Android. I would use this for school and also for fun. That Ingress app looks cool as well.

Would this be a good purchase for me? Or should I wait for something new?

After farting around with several defunct Nexus 7 tablets I gave up the "exchange game" and bought a wifi only Tab 7.7. Its on its way to me and im eager to get my hands on it. I wanted a 7" device but there werent many (quality) devices to choose from. The Tab 7.7 was and still is touted as having an amazing screen. It may not be the fastest 100 core CPU tablet in the stable but appears it can hold its own even against a Nexus7. Samsung builds a nice device. I got my wife a Tab 2 7.0 a few months back and its still a great little device. Kinda sad when the overall build and quality of the thing was far nicer than the Nexus 7's I brought home. After much debate I still landed on the Tab 7.7. In my opinion you cant go wrong. You can pick them up relatively cheap too.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
You will find Samsung is very crappy about the android updates and android has many. The updates from google for the NEXUS 7 is much better. I have the NEXUS 7 and the only issue I have is the volume of the media which is really an android problem. I also have the 7.7 and I am very happy with most of the 7.7 but there is the issue with it that many of android apps don't work as Samsung has not updated many of them to ICS. If you are going to root then the 7.7 is for you but I would stay away from Samsung tablets unless the are NEXUS devices such as the NEXUS 10.

Aspi914

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I had a 7.7" until I bricked it...GREAT DEVICE - but I have held out from buying another because I have been following all the articles to do with the GT-N5100 - now know as the Galaxy Note 8.0, it seems to be targeted at the iPad Mini, but has the benefits of the Galaxy Note S-Pen which makes a difference...if the GT-N5100 was only a 7" I would have brought a Galaxy Tab 7.7" even though it was old technology due to the screen and quality ofthe case.

The Galaxy Note 8.0 it will have a 8.0? 1280?800 TFT Super Clear LCD (which has the DNIe [digital natural image engine] used in high end Samsung TV?s) display and will likely be released in February at the Mobile World Conference (MWC) in Barcelona.

Specs are [iPad Mini comparison in brackets];

Android: version 4.2 Jelly Bean
Official name: GALAXY Note 8.0 (3G, Wi-Fi)
Product codes: GT-N5100, GT-N5110
Battery: 4600 mAh [iPad Mini: 4490 mAh] Galaxy Note 8.0 wins with a larger capacity
Processor: EYNOS 4412 1.6GHz Quad-core [iPad Mini: Dual-core A5 1GHz] Galaxy Note 8.0 wins with a Quad core and faster processor
Dimension: 211.3?136.3?7.95 mm , 330 gram. [iPad Mini: 200 x 134.7 x 7.2, 308 gram] iPad mini wins - both smaller and lighter
Display: 8.0?1280?800 TFT (Super Clear LCD) [iPad Mini: 7.9" 1024 x 768] Galaxy Note 8.0 wins with a higher resolution
GSM networks: GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) HSPA+21.1Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps (850/900/1900/2100) [iPad Mini: GSM/EDGE (850/900/1800/1900) HSPA+21.1Mbps, HSUPA 5.76Mbps (850/900/1900/2100) LTE* (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)] iPad mini wins - Offers 4G LTE
Camera 5 Megapixel (BACK) [iPad Mini: 5 Megapixel] - Tie
Camera 1.3 megapixel (FRONT) [iPad Mini: 1.2 megapixels] - Technically Galaxy Note 8.0 wins....but just....
RAM + Storage: 2GB (RAM) + 16/32GB (optional) + microSD (up to 32GB) [iPad Mini: 512MB (RAM) + 16/32/64GB (Built in)] - Galaxy Note 8.0 wins....Larger RAM and while the storage size is comparable and the removable microSD is the advantage
Connections: BT 4.0, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n, A-GPS [iPad Mini: BT 4.0, USB 2.0, Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n A-GPS] - Tie

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I just picked up a Verizon GT 7.7, and I'm very impressed with it. It came with ICS 4.0.4 already installed. I think the screen is absolutely great -- it's very vivid, and obviously high resolution. And I absolutely prefer the wider aspect ratio than most of the other 7-inch tablets have these days. I think it's a very right-sized device, especially with the data plan -- it truly IS small enough not to be a burden, yet big enough to be genuinely useful.

I tried a Nexus 7 -- boy, I wasn't happy with that thing. I truly like what Samsung builds into their phones and tablets -- "plain old android" is like buying a stripped-down car with no carpets, no air conditioning, and roll-up windows. While the screen had a good resolution, the color was MISERABLE -- flesh tones were WAY off. Bleah -- the review sites that are falling all over it can HAVE the thing.

This thread was the first I've heard of the Note 8, but I think the thing to bear in mind there is that bigger and heavier is, well, bigger and heavier. Plus, it'll be a while before it actually gets introduced, and then gets into the stores. In the end, I think the 7.7 with its thin and small dimensions is a very good "sweet spot" if you're going to carry a tablet around with you.

Finally, for crying out loud, what is up with this "update madness?" Go into the 7-inch tablet forums, and check out all of the screaming and whining about JB updates. Apparently it really screws up the interface for 7-inch tablets, essentially turning everything into a phone-centric interface instead of a tablet-centric interface. As far as I'm concerned, I don't want to touch JB with a virtual ten-foot pole. So, yes, the GT 7.7 needed to get to ICS, but I'll be glad to stop right there.

In the end, all I can say is that I'm very happy with my GT 7.7 -- unlike anything I could do with an iPad mini, I've got it set up just the way I want it, I've got plenty of options for connectivity with other devices, and I've plugged a 64-gigabyte card into it -- with the onboard 16 gigabytes, I've got 80 gigs available for all of the media I can stuff onto the thing. It's a pretty powerful little computer I can bring along with me, everywhere I go.

nextcity

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
I too am thinking of getting a Verizon 7.7. There is an eBay seller who has a ton of the Verizon 4G models at $265. They claim to be new (not refurbished or remanufactured), but not in oem packaging. They are also telling me they might have scratches from bulk shipping. The seller's feedback is private, so I cannot see what other buyers have to say.

Can anyone with a Verizon 4G model out there tell me how their data speeds and ping on the tablet compares to their Verizon phones...and how good Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. streaming is over 4G? I have a ton of wi-fi only tablets, an HTC Droid DNA with mobile hotspot. However none of my tablets will stream Netflix or Hulu Plus without constant disruptions...and this is what I want to correct by getting a 4G tablet.

Thanks.

japetty

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I too am thinking of getting a Verizon 7.7. There is an eBay seller who has a ton of the Verizon 4G models at $265. They claim to be new (not refurbished or remanufactured), but not in oem packaging. They are also telling me they might have scratches from bulk shipping. The seller's feedback is private, so I cannot see what other buyers have to say.

Can anyone with a Verizon 4G model out there tell me how their data speeds and ping on the tablet compares to their Verizon phones...and how good Netflix, Hulu Plus, etc. streaming is over 4G? I have a ton of wi-fi only tablets, an HTC Droid DNA with mobile hotspot. However none of my tablets will stream Netflix or Hulu Plus without constant disruptions...and this is what I want to correct by getting a 4G tablet.

Thanks.
I can't answer your questions but make sure your 7.7 comes with android 4.04 not 3.2 Samsung has a big issue with update. I have noticed the data on 4G LTE comes through in bursts and it seems like there is a bit of lag between bursts. Downloading a large file is not much of an issue but video and the like might make a huge difference.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

Thanks.
the seller on ebay that i see is selling for 265 does not have private feedback. His score is like 98% so they seem legit

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
When I go to that link it only shows me. Full retail $399

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

You need to click on the circular radio button that says Certified PreOwn in order for the $279.99 price to show up. The Verizon website only shows the new price of $399.99. The radio button below is what you need to click on to see the lower pre-own price. I almost purchased the pre-own tablet the other day when I was doing a web chat with a Verizon rep through the Verizon website. The rep confirmed that pre-owned tablets are in stock for $279.99. By the way, you **might** need to use a regular computer/laptop in order to be able to press the circular radio button for the pre-owned tablet price of $279.99 to show up. I wish I could do a screenshot copy paste, but it won't show the screenshot properly. However, I will do a copy and paste of the text that shows the lower price. Please see below:

Samsung Galaxy Tab? (7.7) 16GB

Read Reviews (

) |
Write a Review | Tablets

Interact with this Device

360? Spin and Zoom

Alternate Views

Network

Key Features
4G Technology

Thinnest 4G LTE Tablet

7.7" Super AMOLED plus Display

Peel Smart Remote and Built-in IR Blaster

3.2 MP Camera & 2 MP Front Facing Camera

Samsung Approved For Enterprise (SAFE)

Pricing For

Month to Month

New

Full Retail Price

$399.99

with month to month service

Certified Pre-Owned

Full Retail Price

$279.99

with month to month service

Free Shipping

12345Add to Cart
Tablet Monthly Line Access on Share Everything Plans: $10

Add to Wish List

Available for shipping only.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
The girl's name is Allysa, who was the Verizon rep that I was doing an online help chat through the Verizon website. Allysa informed me that I can purchase a pre-own tablet for $279.99 and have it shipped to a local Verizon store nearby me for pickup, if I wish to do so that way. She is very helpful if you are able to get that same rep. Just click on the icon in the Verizon website for online chat help.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
The girl's name is Allysa, who was the Verizon rep that I was doing an online help chat throught the Verizon website. Allysa informed me that I can purchase a pre-own tablet for $279.99 and have it shipped to a local Verizon store nearby me for pickup, if I wish to do so that way. She is very helpful if you are able to get that same rep. Just click on the icon in the Verizon website for online chat help.

Damn now I need to cancel my ebay order

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Damn now I need to cancel my ebay order

Yes, if I were you, I'd much rather buy a certified pre-own tablet through Verizon versus an Ebay seller, especially since the cost difference is so small. Were you able to see the lower pre-owned $279.99 price now?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yes, if I were you, I'd much rather buy a certified pre-own tablet through Verizon versus an Ebay seller, especially since the cost difference is so small. Were you able to see the lower pre-owned $279.99 price now?

As I wrote the last post I got an ebay shipped confirmation. Ill see what I get

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I got the tab from Ebay and it is in pretty perfect shape. Ill get to rooting it tonight :D

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Good to hear! What will rooting do for your new toy? Just wondering.

Casey

Well I rooted it. Then put on a custom recovery which allowed me to backup the whole system. Then I flashed Cyanogen mod 9. The device is much smoother now with an entirely new software. I like stock on my note 2 but on the tab it was to busy and a little choppy.

How is battery life for you I have not had it long enough to get a good measure. I found a website called newpower99.com that had an extended battery kit which I'm thinking of getting since I'm going to be using it to play videos for my son allot on road trips.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I rooted it. Then put on a custom recovery which allowed me to backup the whole system. Then I flashed Cyanogen mod 9. The device is much smoother now with an entirely new software. I like stock on my note 2 but on the tab it was to busy and a little choppy.

How is battery life for you I have not had it long enough to get a good measure. I found a website called newpower99.com that had an extended battery kit which I'm thinking of getting since I'm going to be using it to play videos for my son allot on road trips.

Wow, you're sure brave in rooting your device asap! But if it works for you, that's the important thing. I'm sticking to stock for mine, as everything seems to be running pretty well, I have no complaints. Well, other than the measley 16GB (make that 12GB) of usable internal storage, I don't really have any complaints so far.

Just yesterday, I used the tablet for an entire day starting around 9am at work for a couple hours here and there, then used for more at home for a few hours longer. I downloaded a whole bunch of apps and games using PdaNet/Foxfi through my Verizon Note 2 phone. I didn't use the tablet continuously, so I can't give an exact measure. But I can say the battery life held up very well for me. At around 8pm in the evening yesterday, I finally got the low battery warning when it was down to around 4 or 5% life left, and this was after playing a whole bunch of games I had just downloaded. My new favorite free game is Zombie Frontier (great mindless shooting game).

Are you saying you're going to take out the stock battery, and install a different larger battery on your tablet? Is that possible to do it yourself? Let me know how that goes, if so.

By the way, I found a cool hard shell zippered case by Case Logic at a local Office Depot store. Even though the case says it's for a 7" tablet, the Samsung 7.7" tablet fits perfectly snug inside! This is great protection, and can easily survive a drop to the ground.
Here's a link for the case, in case you're interested
7" Tablet Case - ETC-107-BLACK | Caselogic
7" Tablet Case ETC-107-BLACK

Assuming if you have internet connection on your roadtrips, will you be streaming videos such as through NetFlix? Or will you be burning videos onto a microSD card for playback? You may already know this, but "TV Portal" is a greap app for tons of TV shows and movies. You can find "TV Portal" at the Google Play store. I just watch the entire 3 hour Avator movie through my tablet and phone. Works great, all free shows!