Thinking of getting a Galaxy Tab 7.7

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow, you're sure brave in rooting your device asap! But if it works for you, that's the important thing. I'm sticking to stock for mine, as everything seems to be running pretty well, I have no complaints. Well, other than the measley 16GB (make that 12GB) of usable internal storage, I don't really have any complaints so far.

Just yesterday, I used the tablet for an entire day starting around 9am at work for a couple hours here and there, then used for more at home for a few hours longer. I downloaded a whole bunch of apps and games using PdaNet/Foxfi through my Verizon Note 2 phone. I didn't use the tablet continuously, so I can't give an exact measure. But I can say the battery life held up very well for me. At around 8pm in the evening yesterday, I finally got the low battery warning when it was down to around 4 or 5% life left, and this was after playing a whole bunch of games I had just downloaded. My new favorite free game is Zombie Frontier (great mindless shooting game).

Are you saying you're going to take out the stock battery, and install a different larger battery on your tablet? Is that possible to do it yourself? Let me know how that goes, if so.

By the way, I found a cool hard shell zippered case by Case Logic at a local Office Depot store. Even though the case says it's for a 7" tablet, the Samsung 7.7" tablet fits perfectly snug inside! This is great protection, and can easily survive a drop to the ground.
Here's a link for the case, in case you're interested
7" Tablet Case - ETC-107-BLACK | Caselogic
7" Tablet Case ETC-107-BLACK

Assuming if you have internet connection on your roadtrips, will you be streaming videos such as through NetFlix? Or will you be burning videos onto a microSD card for playback? You may already know this, but "TV Portal" is a greap app for tons of TV shows and movies. You can find "TV Portal" at the Google Play store. I just watch the entire 3 hour Avator movie through my tablet and phone. Works great, all free shows!

Not so much brave as comfortable with this stuff. I have had many samsung devices over the years and only had one major mishap while installing new software, this was only because I knocked the phone off my desk in the middle of the process.

The extended battery may be slightly bigger that the stock one but it still fits within the casing. The battery comes with tool that slips in between the screen and the casing and allows you to seperate them. Once you are done installing the battery it just clips back on.

That is a cool case and good price. I bought a flip case meant for a kindle for the same price but this looks like it adds much more protection.

When I travel I am going to use the wifi hot spot on my phone and just tether the tab to my phone. I usually use youtube and netflix. Ill give tv portal a shot.

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Wow, you're sure brave in rooting your device asap! But if it works for you, that's the important thing. I'm sticking to stock for mine, as everything seems to be running pretty well, I have no complaints. Well, other than the measley 16GB (make that 12GB) of usable internal storage, I don't really have any complaints so far.

Just yesterday, I used the tablet for an entire day starting around 9am at work for a couple hours here and there, then used for more at home for a few hours longer. I downloaded a whole bunch of apps and games using PdaNet/Foxfi through my Verizon Note 2 phone. I didn't use the tablet continuously, so I can't give an exact measure. But I can say the battery life held up very well for me. At around 8pm in the evening yesterday, I finally got the low battery warning when it was down to around 4 or 5% life left, and this was after playing a whole bunch of games I had just downloaded. My new favorite free game is Zombie Frontier (great mindless shooting game).

Are you saying you're going to take out the stock battery, and install a different larger battery on your tablet? Is that possible to do it yourself? Let me know how that goes, if so.

By the way, I found a cool hard shell zippered case by Case Logic at a local Office Depot store. Even though the case says it's for a 7" tablet, the Samsung 7.7" tablet fits perfectly snug inside! This is great protection, and can easily survive a drop to the ground.
Here's a link for the case, in case you're interested
7" Tablet Case - ETC-107-BLACK | Caselogic
7" Tablet Case ETC-107-BLACK

Assuming if you have internet connection on your roadtrips, will you be streaming videos such as through NetFlix? Or will you be burning videos onto a microSD card for playback? You may already know this, but "TV Portal" is a greap app for tons of TV shows and movies. You can find "TV Portal" at the Google Play store. I just watch the entire 3 hour Avator movie through my tablet and phone. Works great, all free shows!

Battery is not to bad this is after about 5 hours of Netflix

Sent from my SCH-I815 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359627325709.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359627325709.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 22

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Well I rooted it. Then put on a custom recovery which allowed me to backup the whole system. Then I flashed Cyanogen mod 9. The device is much smoother now with an entirely new software. I like stock on my note 2 but on the tab it was to busy and a little choppy.

How is battery life for you I have not had it long enough to get a good measure. I found a website called newpower99.com that had an extended battery kit which I'm thinking of getting since I'm going to be using it to play videos for my son allot on road trips.

Hi DroidXCon,

I'm curious how's your new Tab 7.7 coming along? How's the root job, and the extended battery? Any issues?

Thanks,
Casey

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi DroidXCon,

I'm curious how's your new Tab 7.7 coming along? How's the root job, and the extended battery? Any issues?

Thanks,
Casey

I decided to hold off on the extended battery for awhile (my wife decided for me).

I'm running cyanogen mod on it and it runs much more smoothly. Stock runs well but there is a bit of choppyness with the touchwiz UI

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I decided to hold off on the extended battery for awhile (my wife decided for me).

I'm running cyanogen mod on it and it runs much more smoothly. Stock runs well but there is a bit of choppyness with the touchwiz UI

Does your rooting the tablet overcome the limitation of the 16GB of internal memory? If so, are you now able to transfer apps directly from internal memory to your external memory card (similar to the rooting of the Samsung Note 2 phone?). I'm sure there will come a time I may have to root when my internal memory on my tablet gets too low.

Is there any dis-advantage to rooting? In other words, do you lose any inherent functionality by rooting your tablet?

Thanks,
Casey

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Does your rooting the tablet overcome the limitation of the 16GB of internal memory? If so, are you now able to transfer apps directly from internal memory to your external memory card (similar to the rooting of the Samsung Note 2 phone?). I'm sure there will come a time I may have to root when my internal memory on my tablet gets too low.

Is there any dis-advantage to rooting? In other words, do you lose any inherent functionality by rooting your tablet?

Thanks,
Casey

I have not tried the memory swapping but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Ill look into it for you

Rooting does not change functionality at all. It simpy gives you permission to make system changes. What you do with that permission is what makes the difference.