1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default RAM Usage in Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

I have a Galaxy Tab, running Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich.) Kernel Version 3.0.8-999349

I notice when I go to Task Manager > RAM Manager (RAM status) that I'm using roughly 450MB RAM out of 687MB RAM

I can clear my memory, but even after running a single app, I can clear it again and that's about as low as it goes. I've installed a few programs, mostly fantasy sports apps and a couple games, but my total disk space used (under "Downloaded") is not even 200MB, let alone 450MB.

I've browsed other threads on this site, namely: Hope to reduce ram usage? but the best answer I've seen so far is "Android is written to use RAM, so as to be as speedy as possible." That doesn't explain why so much RAM is being used at any given time.

I do feel my tablet has gotten slower during the time I've owned it. So I'm curious:

Can anyone explain why my tab is using 450MB RAM minimally? Is there any way to get it back down to when I originally had it, without flashing it and having to start over? Should I even be worried about this?

Thanks in advance

~beckerist

Default Re: RAM Usage in Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

I have a similar situation, except than my ram use is about 500Mb after boot up. I wouldn't mind but the touch screen gets very slow and laggy, which clearly affects the usage experience. I don't know if ram usage is the problem, but I don't think the hardware is at fault. I was considering upgrading my iPhone to a Samsung Galaxy S3, bug that's on hold until I can be sure that it isn't affected the same way.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: RAM Usage in Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich)

I found an application called Clean Master that clears out a lot of what I was referring to, and it also does a nice job of breaking down which processes are using how much RAM: