Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Another dumb question and/or observation

I was surprised to see a system update to my wife's Galaxy Tab 7" tablet (SCH-I800) last night. Bought it in Jan, 2012 for her birthday. Always regretted not waiting a few months for the GT 2 but that's when her birthday was. She only uses it on trips (can you say Bejeweled?) and email away from the office.I have a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean 4.2.2 and knew that her core system would never be able to handle anything more than probably Gingerbread.
    So, I was curious to see what Verizon pushed out OTA for it. I looks like:
    Firmware is 2.35
    Kernel is 2.6.35.7.
    Baseband is S:I800,0,3V.EI04
    Build is SCH-I800.MC2
    So, I'm guessing this is just a later iteration of Gingerbread, right? It does seem smoother and faster and that's a good thing. Just surprised; I thought GB was done for this device.
    Thanks for listening to my rambling.

Global Posts
    22,242 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: Another dumb question and/or observation

Quote Originally Posted by ddunk1946 View Post
    I was surprised to see a system update to my wife's Galaxy Tab 7" tablet (SCH-I800) last night. Bought it in Jan, 2012 for her birthday. Always regretted not waiting a few months for the GT 2 but that's when her birthday was. She only uses it on trips (can you say Bejeweled?) and email away from the office.I have a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean 4.2.2 and knew that her core system would never be able to handle anything more than probably Gingerbread.
    So, I was curious to see what Verizon pushed out OTA for it. I looks like:
    Firmware is 2.35
    Kernel is 2.6.35.7.
    Baseband is S:I800,0,3V.EI04
    Build is SCH-I800.MC2
    So, I'm guessing this is just a later iteration of Gingerbread, right? It does seem smoother and faster and that's a good thing. Just surprised; I thought GB was done for this device.
    Thanks for listening to my rambling.
    Go to Settings>About Device. There it will tell you which version of Android you are running. They may have upgraded it to Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4.0).

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: Another dumb question and/or observation

Thanks, I appreciate your reply. I am aware of where to look up that data, but when I list the firmware and kernel, I'm giving the all the data that is in About Device. I don't think this 'old' hardware (single-core, if I'm not mistaken) will support ICS. That's why I thought it was just a slightly freshened version of Gingerbread. I don't think anything short of the Nexus 7 tablet supports ICS. Google searches on this version of the firmware and kernel seem to indicate that. My Galaxy Nexus phone does display Android 4.2.2 which we know is the latest JB but this 'old' (14 months) tablet only gives firmware version, kernel version, baseband version and build number. Anyway, thanks!