Running out of RAM issue! PLEASE HELP!

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I have been having RAM problems with my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 and only has 1GB of ram before it ran very fast and no lags and had about over 20% to 50% most of the time in my RAM booster app.

But now most of the time it is always around 10% less than free 100 MB of 1GB of RAM and it is always laggy and buggy and every time i go out of a app i have to WAIT to for the home sceens to reload again and i never had this problem before.

It is fast when i restart the tablet and get back to normal but i don't really want to do that every time.

I have been uninstalling apps and have about 1.2GB of storage space but that don 't make a diffrence.

When i do a full RAM boost it only goes up to about 15/18% and after it goes down very fast and i have tried task killers but i don't know if they are working or not.

This is getting very annoying and i need to get this RAM issue fixed and get it back to normal and the factory reset is not a option as i can't bothered to install all of the apps again.!!

Can someone help me please? Will installing a launcher fix the RAM issue? What is the best RAM booster?

Last edited:

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Linux runs best when the ram and cache is full. I'd get rid of your app killer, cache killer, ram boosters and all that stuff.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Linux runs best when the ram and cache is full. I'd get rid of your app killer, cache killer, ram boosters and all that stuff.

Why should i get rid of my RAM/Task booster/killers while my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7 is buggy and laggy because of the RAM issue? I thought they would work.

Can you help me please?

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Key paragraph is this:

Empty RAM is useless. Full RAM is RAM that is being put to good use for caching apps. If Android needs more memory, it will force-quit an app that you haven’t used in a while – this all happens automatically, without installing any task killers.

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Don't know if you deleted my last answers but you're not going to get any other good answer other than empty RAM is useless. Full RAM is RAM that is being put to good use for caching apps. If Android needs more memory, it will force-quit an app that you haven’t used in a while – this all happens automatically, without installing any task killers. The reason you're seeing lag is because it has to load the app in from scratch. I can open 10 apps in less than 3 seconds on the same Tab.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Ok you don't seem to understand about the RAM Issue i am having.

It was running very fast with no lag and had aleast 200/300MB free of 770MB after a fast or full RAM boost.

But for a couple days now most of the time unless i restart the tablet when it is very slow and laggy and after i do the RAM boost it will only speed things up by only little and goes back to slow again like only have free 50 to 100 MB of 700MB or 690/770MB.

Ok can you explain why when it is very slow and laggy after i go out of a app the my Android home sceens keeps restarting? and i have NEVER had this issue before!

This is surely a RAM issue.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok you don't seem to understand about the RAM Issue i am having.

It was running very fast with no lag and had aleast 200/300MB free of 770MB after a fast or full RAM boost.

But for a couple days now most of the time unless i restart the tablet when it is very slow and laggy and after i do the RAM boost it will only speed things up by only little and goes back to slow again like only have free 50 to 100 MB of 700MB or 690/770MB.

Ok can you explain why when it is very slow and laggy after i go out of a app the my Android home sceens keeps restarting? and i have NEVER had this issue before!

This is surely a RAM issue.

The reason the home pages has to refresh is because the app you are currently using need more RAM to run properly so it begins to shutdown things it doesn't need at the time to run the current app. Once the app you are using is closed it says "Oh ok your done now let me restart the home page". in which it needs to load it.. hence your "lag"

The reason it works perfectly again after a reboot is because you have nothing in the background running. Task managers are no longer needed at ICS. I wouldn't even utilize anything like a ram boost. The programs are not worth what they do. I'd say the best thing to do is when you see this slowness press the "task running button" which for my nexus is my far most right button (3 button configuration) and it brings up what apps are currently running still.. yours looks to be then 3rd one from the left. Close all these and see if your system returns to normal fashion. If it doesn't you most likely have a rogue app on your system that is not shutting down properly..

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
The reason the home pages has to refresh is because the app you are currently using need more RAM to run properly so it begins to shutdown things it doesn't need at the time to run the current app. Once the app you are using is closed it says "Oh ok your done now let me restart the home page". in which it needs to load it.. hence your "lag"

The reason it works perfectly again after a reboot is because you have nothing in the background running. Task managers are no longer needed at ICS. I wouldn't even utilize anything like a ram boost. The programs are not worth what they do. I'd say the best thing to do is when you see this slowness press the "task running button" which for my nexus is my far most right button (3 button configuration) and it brings up what apps are currently running still.. yours looks to be then 3rd one from the left. Close all these and see if your system returns to normal fashion. If it doesn't you most likely have a rogue app on your system that is not shutting down properly..

But why does it take so long for my Android home sceens to load after i go out of the app, it is annoying and it NEVER use to happen before unless i have RAM boosted the tablet..

I have always closed apps when i enter the task manager/recent apps button and when there's no apps running and it still very slow.

And about the RAM boosters they work because look at the reviews on the Google Play Store they are getting very good reviews for speeding up there phones/tablets up.

And i use Memory Booster Lite by iMobLife and they are very good and getting very good reviews as well.

Check it out if you want.

If i have a rogue app then? Where do i find the app and uninstall the " rogue " app.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
But why does it take so long for my Android home sceens to load after i go out of the app, it is annoying and it NEVER use to happen before unless i have RAM boosted the tablet..

I have always closed apps when i enter the task manager/recent apps button and when there's no apps running and it still very slow.

And about the RAM boosters they work because look at the reviews on the Google Play Store they are getting very good reviews for speeding up there phones/tablets up.

If i have a rogue app then? Where do i find the app and uninstall the " rogue " app.

Take so long is a vague statement. What is long to you might not be to me. As to why does it take so "long" to load... This is Touchwiz it is very bloated I know this cause i have a S4 from Verizon.

as for the ram booster please forgive my lack of knowledge on that as I have on many occasions seen on XDA that you should never use these apps.

Rogue Apps you have 2 ways ... 1 is almost certain to find it (99.99%) the other is only luck

1) you format the device and add 1 program at a time (not the ram booster though yet) and play with it for awhile and see if it causes the "lag"
2) Reboot. Run an app non game and see if it causes the screen to reload upon exiting.. then try a different app and see if it causes the screen to reload upon exiting if nothing then reboot and try 2 different other apps.. this way is only luck as i said before... the best way is always to start fresh (after a backup of course)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is kind of a double edge sword, and an issue that I've started having with my Bionic recently (also 1 GB Ram). I'll explain my thoughts on it, but it'll be kinda long. I'll give you the TL;DR version now, then you can decide if you want to read on. Basically either you will need to reboot, or stop using/uninstall big apps (like a lot of the new games).

First, you need to understand how and why current versions of Android handle memory like they do. With our phones, memory is memory as far as battery consumption is concerned. CPU use aside for now, a full loaded Ram will use just as much power as one only partially full. In other words, apps and cache loaded in the background sitting dormant with no CPU demand takes zero extra battery power. What does take a lot of power is initializing apps from scratch. So what Android does is leave as much data in Ram as it can so you can go to various apps quicker and with less battery consumption because it isn't having to load so much from scratch.

So why are memory boosters/managers/task managers/et. al. bad? They see this dormant memory data and kill it, which takes battery power to process. Then Android is like "wait a minute, I'm going to need that later," and reloads things back into Ram to fill it again in the background without you noticing. That, again, takes more battery power. So these manager apps always killing data and then having it reloaded over and over will actually increase battery consumption from the added processes of doing so, vs letting Android kill as needed. Memory managers may have had a purpose in the early versions of Android but current versions are very good at handling it itself. Most of those people rating managers well are likely treating Android like Windows, where having low Ram usage is ok, and that's all they look at. They don't understand the background processes going on in Android and how trying to maintain low memory usage is actually negatively affecting their phone.

One thing I have noticed on mine by looking at that running services in my app manager (via the manage apps settings, not a stand alone manager like the op is using) is that various apps, even system and needed apps increase their Ram usage over time since the last boot. Even with relatively few apps running, the amount of ram taken up is in the 900 MB range if the phone hasn't been rebooted in a few days. Trying to run a game like Clumsy Ninja (my current 3D game of choice) will be very laggy and I'll start getting various app not responding/close notices. From what I can tell, the lag is because the Ram is too full and Android is now fighting with itself constantly closing background apps to free up space and then re-initializing them because they are needed/wanted. All of that takes up extra CPU power, which leaves less power to run the game. I don't have any real proof that's what's happening, just an educated guess based on my observations and what I know about how Android handles memory. Rebooting the phone clears out the Ram used by the background apps and Clumsy Ninja works smoothly again. I suspect it's not simply a rogue app sucking up Ram in my case because the amount freed up from a reboot is across the board on almost every running app and especially the home screen.

That's why I said in the beginning your only option may be to reboot occasionally if you plan to run larger apps. Another option, assuming it's possible, is to maybe see if there's a way to "refresh" (for lack of a better term) the background apps so they aren't truly killed over and over but are reset back to their freshly booted state. I haven't looked into this, so I'm not even sure if it's something possible, much less easy and unobtrusive/automatic so it's not a hassle. It may also be possible to freeze apps if you're rooted to prevent them from being re-initialized in the background, but that means you'd then have to thaw them when ready to use them again.

Suffice it to say, with as fast as technology moves with phones, 1 GB of Ram won't do much for you anymore simply because apps are becoming more demanding. Maybe someone that knows more than I do can offer a better solution, but for now I'm ok rebooting my phone if needed and don't bother with memory managers.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
A couple of things:

1st, please don't cross post the same question.

2nd, the advice above is generally correct although they're leaving one thing out - if you are not maxing out your RAM, then your problem isn't lack of RAM, it is either attributable to not enough performance in the CPU or a potential corruption in data that is making random read/write take longer than it ought to. RAM managers are very bad, it is a much better idea to let the OS handle that stuff itself unless you are troubleshooting a very specific rogue app.

Android (Linux) uses RAM differently than PC's do, more about that can be found here: RAM Usage - but the short version is that it's not bad for it to be using RAM and you don't have to micromanage RAM.

Another thing that may help with performance is booting into recovery and clearing the cache. Sometimes excess data stored there can "gum up" the works, but one of the most common causes of slow performance is people trying to manage Linux as if it were Windows.

twin100

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
This section might be hidden on some phones, but it’s very easy to access. On many phones, you just have to open a certain page in the settings and tap a button seven times. Use Google to figure out how to enable Developer options on your phone if it’s currently hidden (for example, search “enable developer options HTC One”).

Once you have access to Developer options, simply scroll until you find the following three settings, which may be located on the main screen or within an “Advanced” subsection:

Window animation scale

Transition animation scale

Animator animation scale

Tapping each of the three aforementioned settings will reveal that it’s set to “1x” by default. If you want to speed up your phone or tablet dramatically, simply change each of those three settings to “.5x” — that’s it.

Guy Howard

Nov 14, 2014
Visit site
One aspect of this issue has not been discussed: it has been explained that RAM management potentially slows the system down when RAM is near fully consumed and an app is launched that requires a forced stop of an already loaded app. This is probably the best way to manage RAM. My problem is that 60% of the RAM on my device is consumed following boot by apps I use maybe once every 3-4 weeks. After about 3-4 hours of use the phone takes 3 times as long to switch apps as it did following a boot. These apps (4 Amazon related apps) cannot be deleted, and removing them from RAM with the Android utility lasts for maybe 5 minutes. Together they consume above 200MB. This might not be a problem for a phone with 2G in it, but my 1G phone struggles most of the day as a result.

Dawhoda

Aug 13, 2017
Visit site
I've heard this leave it alone story bunch of times so why is it she is leaving it alone and it's full and it's working WORSE? same with me. I reboot my phone and its hot let's say 1.9gigs out of 2 running instantly and it's like lightning. Then a minute or 2 later the ram is at 540 for example and it's already freezing. If I leave it full like that it sure doesn't like it lol it freezes up, heats up and will continue until I reboot and start over or if I do hard reset and delete cached data. It's certain apps that are eating away probably also loaded gmail always syncing etc

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've heard this leave it alone story bunch of times so why is it she is leaving it alone and it's full and it's working WORSE? same with me. I reboot my phone and its hot let's say 1.9gigs out of 2 running instantly and it's like lightning. Then a minute or 2 later the ram is at 540 for example and it's already freezing. If I leave it full like that it sure doesn't like it lol it freezes up, heats up and will continue until I reboot and start over or if I do hard reset and delete cached data. It's certain apps that are eating away probably also loaded gmail always syncing etc
You do realize you posted in a thread that's been about 3.5 years since the last reply, right? But if you scroll up to my reply back then, it explains your problem as well.

With only 2 GB total RAM, your phone is going to be maxing it out quickly. Sure, when you reboot it runs smooth, but that's because the system takes a bit to fully boot up everything in the background. In doing so, it starts needing more RAM than is available, and the system begins to fight itself and the lag starts. So basically your only option is to either upgrade to something newer with better specs, or to factory reset and not install any extra apps (or even update the ones you did have, like Chrome). Even then, you may still have issues at this point in time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz