Why can't I move apps to SD card?

Stelingo

Jun 12, 2016
Visit site
Hi

I just downloaded an android update on my Galaxy Tab A tablet, for which I had to move several apps to my SD card to make room. This I was able to do without any problem. However after the software update I am no longer able to move any apps. I get an error message saying there is not enough room, despite having used just under 9Gb of the 14Gb card

Any help would be appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you able to move the apps that are currently on the SD card back to Internal Storage? If so, do that, and then reformat the card. Now try again.

ParatrooperJoe

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem after updating my galaxy Tab A.

Current Version after the update: T350XXU1BPE3/T350XAR1BPE3/

Also, My Android Version is shown as 6.0.1

I tried using an App called "Apps2sd" but it does not work either. In fact, it just redirects you to the built in system that is supposed to allow you to move an app to the SD card.

The manual method I tried is going to Settings>>Storage>>Internal Storage>>Used Space>>Apps>>"Select the app I want to move">>CHANGE>>"Select SD Card" -- A new window opens saying the app is about to be "Exported" to the SD Card...So I select "Move" and it then goes to previous screen and displays a popup message at the bottom of the screen that says "Not enough storage space"

I have 3.1 GB of internal storage free and 60GB of Space available on my SD Card.

Any Advice?

ParatrooperJoe

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE: I did discover the following....

I installed a new app (The Bible App) and after installing it, a message popped up from the apps2sd App saying that this app was able to be moved to my sd card. So I went through the steps to move it, as I did before, and it actually moved it over to the SD Card.

The only thing I can surmise is that (for some unknown reason) I cannot move apps that are already installed, but any new app (that is otherwise not forbidden from being moved such as facebook) I can move over to my SD Card. I am also theorizing that I may be able to uninstall one of my current apps that refuses to move over, reinstall it and then I should (hopefully) be able to move it over to my SD Card.

I will try out my theory and post my results here,

BerryClever

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
I don't know for sure as I haven't been given Android 6 yet, but I believe you can now make the SD card read as part of internal memory. If that means what I think it means, than the internal 16GB storage shouldn't be a worry and any app can use the SD card. It should be truly expandable storage. I could be totally wrong, so please correct me if I am.

ParatrooperJoe

Jul 11, 2016
Visit site
UPDATE: I did discover the following....

I installed a new app (The Bible App) and after installing it, a message popped up from the apps2sd App saying that this app was able to be moved to my sd card. So I went through the steps to move it, as I did before, and it actually moved it over to the SD Card.

The only thing I can surmise is that (for some unknown reason) I cannot move apps that are already installed, but any new app (that is otherwise not forbidden from being moved such as facebook) I can move over to my SD Card. I am also theorizing that I may be able to uninstall one of my current apps that refuses to move over, reinstall it and then I should (hopefully) be able to move it over to my SD Card.

I will try out my theory and post my results here,

My theory proved correct. After Uninstalling an app that gave me the "Not enough storage space" error, I then reinstalled the app. Then I tried to move it to my sd card, and voila...it worked.

Also, BerryClever is correct about android 6 (marshmallow). I actually just upgraded my sd card to 128GB and now I imagine I will never run out of space.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Google took a step backwards with this in the new update. Here's how you move apps from internal storage to your micro sd card:

1. Go to settings/applications/app manager and select an app you wish to move.

2. Select "Storage." Notice that the current storage location is provided. If the app is able to be moved to your micro sd card, there will be a "Change" option. If the app cannot be moved, thus field will not appear.

3. Change the location from Internal to SD Card.

4. Tap on "Move."

I have no idea why Google made this change, because it added more steps to this process than necessary, not to mention that it's a little harder to find on your own.

Attachments

• 421.jpg
    421.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 28

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
2. Select "Storage." Notice that the current storage location is provided. If the app is able to be moved to your micro sd card, there will be a "Change" option. If the app cannot be moved, thus field will not appear.

Attachments

• 419.jpg
    419.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 26

BerryClever

Jun 27, 2016
Visit site
Finally received Android 6 today. I love the individual permissions but it is right to say the SD movement is a step backwards (and I thought the old way was a bit of a pain). Samsung also decided to remove the Android option to make the SD card part of the internal storage. I wish we could decide for ourselves. Its a give and take update, but all in all, I wouldn't downgrade. I'll download and try an app2sd app in hopes it will make the process faster and easier.

Chris Clayton1

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
This thread will be quite useful to me. I am new to Android and only learned a few days ago that with Lollipop I cannot simply move apps to the SD Card at will. So I am waiting in anticipation for the Marshmellow upgrade, as installing / moving apps to the Card or USB Flash Drive is something I take for granted with my Windows 10 Tablet PC.

Valsim

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
Hello guys. New to this forum, and in the whole business with Android devices. Got myself a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9,7" and a new 128GB SD card. Yesterday finally instaled some games on my device, but I was surprised I couldn't move them to my SD card. I followed all the steps provided by Brew Swayne, and I went through all the process until the very last step when it's exporting game to my SD card. After a few seconds it's all done, but nothing really happens. The games and applications I tried to move to my SD card are still on my Tablets internal memory. I'm very confused why is that. I have Android 6.0.1 on my device, and version SM-T555XXU1BPD7.

Valsim

Dec 28, 2016
Visit site
OK let me rephrase my question. Is there a way then to automatically install aplications to your SD card, without it first installing on the memory device. On my Windows phone it is a matter of clicking on a few buttons, but I couldn't see this option anywhere on my Galaxy Tab A 9,7".

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
Moving an app to your external SD card doesn't actually move the entire app, just some of the app data. So you'll actually have the app split between 2 locations.

My understanding is that the app itself remains on your device, but additional data (such as log in info, or maybe scores/progress if it's a game) may be stored on your external. I think it's kind of it like Microsoft Word. The program is on your computer and you can save files to external sources, but in order to open the, it needs to find the source program on your computer. Truth is, I'm not 100% certain exactly what gets moved and what stays on your device, but this has always been the way I've imagined it works.

As for your question about installing apps directly to your SD card, I'm not aware of anyway to do that.

Not all apps are able to be moved to external storage either. Also, you'll want to keep in mind that some apps might not function properly if you move them to your SD card. I've noticed some apps act "glitchy" when moved to external storage, while I lost the ability to use widgets with a few others. I moved them back to internal storage and everything was back to normal.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Brew Swayne is correct -- you can't install apps directly to the SD card. They always have to be installed to Internal Storage first, after which you may have the option to move a portion of the app to SD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie