Marshmellow upgrade for Samsung Tab A?

Chris Clayton1

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
Am I right in the impression we are in the middle of Marshmellow being rolled out to various devices? I am quite new to Android (Windows 10 is my main OS) and unfamiliar with the upgrade process.I have recently acquired a Samsung Tab A with Lollipop. In Settings it says I have the latest software but it is Lollipop so I am expecting Marshmellow is in the pipeline --- does anyone know roughly when it is likely to arrive? It seems a long drawn out process.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Which Tab A do you have? There are a few versions. Also, did you get it through a wireless carrier, or is it a wi-fi only device?

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I just ordered a Galaxy Tab A 9.7 wi-fi only device thru Best Buy. Should be arriving on Wednesday, July 27th. From what I can tell on my receipt the model is SM-T550NZAA. I am also curious if the Tab A will get Marshmallow. I'm thinking it will.

EDIT : will getting Marshmallow depend if your Tab A has the S-pen? I ordered mine without the S-pen.

Last edited:

Chris Clayton1

Apr 16, 2016
Visit site
My Tablet is SM-T550. No S-pen. I do not understand "a wireless carrier, or is it a wi-fi only device?". I have seen this referred to before so would welcome an explanation.

Anyway, I checked Settings again and found I now have 6.1. It had been installed silently and without displaying anything different on my tablet. I am surprised by the lack of notifications but pleased that it was so simple and painless. I am now discovering a few differences with Marshmallow, in particular the ability to move (some) apps to the SD Card --- so far only a very small number, as many apps claimed to be 'movable' have not moved. But it is a promising start. The procedure is quite straightforward. My Card is no longer shown as virtually empty.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I do not understand "a wireless carrier, or is it a wi-fi only device?"

Some versions of the Tab A are LTE capable, which means you can plug a SIM card in and get 4G LTE mobile data on it (instead of relying on a wi-fi connection). These LTE tablets are almost always sold through wireless providers like T-Mobile or Verizon. The reason I asked about this is that updates for these devices usually depend on the carrier. The device has to be on the carrier's network, and the carrier-specific updates often take longer to come out than updates that come straight from the manufacturer. But yours is wi-fi only, and not LTE capable, so the question ended up being irrelevant.

System updates typically don't happen without your acceptance, or at least a notification. It may be that the notification was buried amidst a sea of other notifications that you ended up accepting it without realizing exactly what it was.

Mojave

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
My Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 which I had for a few years was still on KitKat and the OS wasn't going to be updated. It was a great tablet but I wanted something more up to date and faster without breaking the bank. The Tab A fit the bill and it was on sale at Best Buy. :)

My Galaxy Tab A 9.7 arrived the other day and I am loving it!! Finally got it set up the way I want it. Installed Nova Launcher Prime (which I have on my S5) and love it! I ordered a Zagg screen protector. My tablet does have Marshmallow 6.0.1 on it and it's running great. No issues.....so far. I am now exploring all the possibilities of this tablet and having fun doing so. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12