WIFI connecting issues

k140db

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Good morning all!

I have a samsung galaxy tab A9.7 and i just started having issues connecting to the wifi today. The issue is occurring while at work. Its a government job with wifi access for the employees. Haven't had an issue in the past and I haven't made any changes to my tablet to cause this issue to my best knowledge. When I come to work, I turn on my wifi and the wifi automatically connects. The only thing I need to do is open up my web browser which then displays the governments page about using the wifi and click connect and presto...i have WIFI.

I tried using the wifi with my galaxy s7 and have zero issues using the wifi so I'm guessing its my tab which is acting up. I don't have access to the router so I cannot reset it to see if that helps nor can i access the router settings from my computer.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kevin

k140db

May 12, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Mav for the link but nothing in the article seems to pertain to the issues I'm having. I totally confused as to why the wifi worked one day on the tablet but a few days later it doesn't work.

AzWxGuy

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
The terms "government" and "open wifi" do not fit nicely in the same sentence. Somebody somewhere might have flipped a switch. Track down the IT department and see what they say. A minimum level of security would be to filter devices by MAC address. Anyone else having issues? It could be your tab, and the only thing I can think of there would be to do a factory reset.

runbei

Aug 30, 2016
Visit site
Don't know if this is relevant, but I have the same Tab A 9.7, and I'm finding that wi-fi becomes unusable when I have a bluetooth keyboard connected to the tablet. Very poor streaming video playback, with long buffering (on a 54 Mbps cable connection). The problem immediately goes away when I turn off bluetooth.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

RenoD2010

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm having WiFi issues with a Tab A as well but so far it has never worked well.

I bought a silver Samsung Galaxy Tab A 7" on Black Friday at Best Buy. The WiFi speeds were HORRIBLE. I'm talking 13.41 Mbps max and as low as 1.61 Mbps. My other devices include:
  1. Galaxy S7 Edge
  2. ASUS Q552 (2015/2016)
  3. LG G3 (over 27 months old)
  4. Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 (bought May 2015)

All of the devices in that list connect wirelessly between 120-230 Mbps (S7 Edge takes the crown; phone fricken rocks). I did a full factory reset on my Arris DOCSIS 3.0 AND two factory resets on my Tab A. Still could not break 20 Mbps. I returned it and grabbed the same model in black. I know there is no logical reason that color would have anything to do with it but weirder things can happen in tech. So the black model fared better than the silver but it still sucks; maxing out at around 37 Mbps. This is a completely usable connection speed BUT when my "ancient" G3 and Tab 4 are connecting at over 100 Mbps, those speeds are unacceptable.

Has anyone else recently purchased the 7" Tab A and found the connection to be terrible? This is so frustrating because I LOVE the 7" form factor in a tablet but no one makes a premium Android tablet in that size. My Tab 4 7.0 connects at a decent speed the software completely lags to the point of being nearly unusable at times. I've had to strip it down to uber bare bones Google apps only. Can't even browse the web without it hanging up. This is why I was in the market for a replacement.

At this point I'd be willing to spend "real" money one a tablet (and I really don't consider myself a table person) just to avoid the frustration (The Tab A silver was on sale for $89.99 and the black for $99.99). It is now Sunday. I am more than likely going to return the black Tab A tomorrow and just do some more research.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908