Apps updates? Is it necessary?

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
First time tablet owner and Android newbie.

I've had my Galaxy Tab A 8.0 about one month now and I'm slowly getting the hang of using it and how to navigate Android. Android version is 6.01. After using it for a week I found that all of the pre-installed apps auto-updated. My internal storage usage went from 38% to 53%. I subsequently turned off the auto-update feature. I am now receiving notifications when new app updates are available.

I know I can manually update those apps (14 notifications as of today) but I'm concerned that updating apps as they become available will reduce my internal storage further and eventually leave me no room whatsoever to update current apps or install new ones. As of now I have a total of 32 pre-installed apps and 4 small apps I have installed. I have moved all of the apps I have installed to the SD card I installed. All of the pictures I'm taking or video I'm experimenting with are either set to save to the SD card, as are music or documents, or I manually move them there. There are no photos, videos, music, documents, etc. saved or on the internal storage.

Is there anything I can do, other than not installing app updates, to reduce the amount of internal storage used by updating? Also, is it necessary to install updates to apps I never or rarely use? Tab A 8.0 only came with 16 GB of internal storage and I'm using it up pretty quickly.

DrLouie

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately more and more developers are increasing the size of their apps thinking that people have 32/64/128. But most of the time the size increase does include some new features.

The only thing I think would help you on size is to see if clearing app data/cache of apps that you don't use would free up some space.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Download an app called Ccleaner. It is good for cleaning up cache and unwanted files to give more space.

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I've used CCleaner on my PCs for years. Is it effective for Android? Does it have a large footprint (internal storage issues again)?
Hasn't been a problem for me.
I am at the point that frequently now when I am updating an app it tells me not enough memory and to uninstall something. I run CCleaner and it always removes enough cache and temporary stuff to make room.

Dec 22, 2016
Visit site
Hasn't been a problem for me.
I am at the point that frequently now when I am updating an app it tells me not enough memory and to uninstall something. I run CCleaner and it always removes enough cache and temporary stuff to make room.
I've installed the CCleaner app. Other than giving me a lot of tools to analyze apps, storage, system, etc., does it really do a better job of cleaning than the Android builtin cleaner in Smart Manager?

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Yes.. I use this on all my android devices because it helps eliminate alot of cache build up in apps like games and news apps or anything that has alot of thumbnails