Rooting & OTA Updates

anon(224455)

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
So I've read the FAQ and pretty much have my question answered...

If you root, can you still get OTA updates? The answer? Maybe, maybe not depending on the level of customization.

I have a galaxy tab 8.9 LTE which I've recently rooted using this method:
[ROOT] Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE (SGH-i957) - xda-developers

It even has the steps for going flashing back. When I rooted, virtually nothing changed - my setup was the same as it was after flashing... So I proceeded to remove all the AT&T bloatware and a few apps i'd never ever use.

My question is this though: Other than uninstalling some apps, nothing else has changed... so do you think i'll still get OTA updates? I'm only really concerned about getting ICS.. even so.. I assume I can still get it one way or another.

bdfull3r

May 11, 2011
Visit site
it depends on how Smasung handles the updates. in a lot of cases, rooted phones on STOCK will be able to get an OTA update. but the in a lot of cases doing so will brick you devices. IF samsung announced a OTA that you want, unroot yourself. the process is relatively easy to do. and you can re-root when it is done

RJV3

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Chances are you will get a version of I c s long before the official release. I'm running a ICS release on my wifi tab

Sent from my rooted Galaxy Tab 8.9 running ICS 4.0.3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie