"Unable to increase the brightness further. The device is overheating" What the ...???

MikeSp

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I have noticed that when I use the Automatic Brightness setting in Setup, that the display is fairly dim and I am NOT attempting to blow my eyeballs out with screen brightness. I had been using it on manual with it turned up 1/3. Going back to Automatic Brightness, the screen substantially dims and the automatic setting is approximately at 15% with a warning "Unable to increase the brightness further. The device is overheating." This occurs after 10 minutes of use.:mad:

Yes, the back of the tablet is VERY warm -- what is the experience of users on this forum -- do you get this warning and if so:
--how long until the back of the tablet is very warm
--how long was the tablet display on before the automatic dimming made the display much dimmer?
--when tablet is turned on with the Automatic Brightness setting turned on, where is the indicator on the horizontal graph (histogram) in Display Settings?
--after the display has been used for a while, where is the indicator on the horizontal graph in the Display Settings?
--Do you get that same warning?

Thanks for any information and opinions!!
MikeSp

Morgan McCardell

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
Re: "Unable to increase the brightness further. The device is overheating" What the ...???

Yep. You updated to Lollipop too, huh? Absolutely ridiculous function. My phone is not even warm and now I can barely see my screen randomly as it flickers light to dark. So. Annoying. Especially since I use this device to read.

Blackheart153

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
Re: "Unable to increase the brightness further. The device is overheating" What the ...???

Hello,
Try to uninstall some of the app which may have permission to change brightness.e.g. Night mode, night owl etc.

DukeOfURL01

May 24, 2014
Visit site

It sounds like the backlight in your lcd panel might be going out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret