Note 10.1 (2014) vs. TabPRO 10.1

Kriingle

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello! I've read the comparison threads and I'm really on the edge with this purchase. Is there any make or break points with either device? I'm gonna use this for college with a Bluetooth keyboard, if it helps any. Any help would be appreciated, as I am purchasing one tomorrow. Thanks!

PS: Is there that much of a difference between the Note's 3GB ram and TabPRO's 2GB ram since the Note has a bunch of S-Pen features running in the background all the time?

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, since you've read the comparisons I'm sure you know about the 'main' differences, but I'll enlist the most important IMHO just for the sake of clarity:
1) 3GB RAM vs 2GB RAM. SPen uses more resources, but KitKat also uses less, which brings me to...
2) JellyBean 4.3 vs KitKat 4.4 An update should be on the horizon for the Note 10.1 2014, though.
3) S-Pen vs No S-Pen. If you'll be using this for note-taking, the S-Pen CAN be a make it or break it selling point for you.
4) 2-Window mode vs 4-Window mode. Not sure (and I'm almost certain it won't) if an update to the 2014 Note would bring 4-Window mode. You can always root/hack, though.
5) No NFC vs NFC
6) USB 2 vs USB3. Data-transferwise, the Tab's faster.

That being said, I'm still extremely satisfied with my Note 10.1 2014 and having played a bit with a Tab Pro last month, still wouldn't trade it. But FOR ME, the S-Pen is still useful, so that's pretty much what made me get this one.

Kriingle

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, since you've read the comparisons I'm sure you know about the 'main' differences, but I'll enlist the most important IMHO just for the sake of clarity:
1) 3GB RAM vs 2GB RAM. SPen uses more resources, but KitKat also uses less, which brings me to...
2) JellyBean 4.3 vs KitKat 4.4 An update should be on the horizon for the Note 10.1 2014, though.
3) S-Pen vs No S-Pen. If you'll be using this for note-taking, the S-Pen CAN be a make it or break it selling point for you.
4) 2-Window mode vs 4-Window mode. Not sure (and I'm almost certain it won't) if an update to the 2014 Note would bring 4-Window mode. You can always root/hack, though.
5) No NFC vs NFC
6) USB 2 vs USB3. Data-transferwise, the Tab's faster.

That being said, I'm still extremely satisfied with my Note 10.1 2014 and having played a bit with a Tab Pro last month, still wouldn't trade it. But FOR ME, the S-Pen is still useful, so that's pretty much what made me get this one.

1) Would I be able to notice the RAM difference with casual usage? I don't intend on running multiple super intense apps at once.
2) Very true.
3) Can you list some highlights of the S-Pen, features that you think are the most useful?
4) Not too concerned about this, but I can see myself using 4-W.
5) Don't mind NFC or no NFC much.
6) Very cool- USB3 will be very useful for large file transfers!

Oh, and does the TabPRO have the same speakers as Note 2014? I like the Note 2014 speakers and it would be great if both tablets had them.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Kriingle

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I've decided to get the Note 10.1 (2014). I'm just hoping for KitKat to come swiftly and the "sluggish" performance to improve with the update. The USB2 shouldn't be a big deal.

Btw- 16GB vs 32GB? How much memory is available for you to use when you buy it? I'm scared that the 16GB will actually just have ~8GB for my personal use (That's what happened with my Int'l GS4).

Thanks a bunch for the help!

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'd recommend you get the 32GB and, maybe in the long run, an SD card for media storage. With the 32GB you get around 28GB of available space and for the price difference, you're better off with this version than the 16GB one.

I haven't experienced any sluggish performance with mine, except on the launcher, and since I replaced it with Nova Launcher, that's gone. I do use multiple windows from time to time, and 4 windows would make it a bit crowded, but just knowing that you CAN is great hehe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20