Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Considering a Pro S 10.1

I've been into Android for a couple of years now through the Nexus line of smartphones, currently on an N5, which I love to bits. Tablet wise I have always been in the Apple camp though. Despite the silly prices and bland UI, it's always been the safe buy. I moved from an iPad 2 to an iPad Mini when it was first launched, and while I have enjoyed it, I now need to move back up to a 10 inch kind of size again and have been weighing up the options.

My budget is sub 300 quid, and that's pointing me squarely at 2 devices. The first is Tab Pro 10.1. I have read lots of good reviews and actually went into a store today to have a hold and a play and was pretty impressed, especially with the weight given the size. Pricing has dropped (£300 in Currys, but some other places online have been as low as £245). Option number 2, a 4th generation used iPad.

At face value it seems insane to go for a lower spec second hand device over the Tab Pro 10.1, but I'm really on the fence with this. I'm not dumb enough to wade into an Android camp and say "should I consider an Apple device?!?!?" but I guess more than anything I'm looking for validation or eradication of my Samsung reservations. I love Android, but have always stayed clear of non-Google Android experiences, which is why I would never by one of the Samsung or HTC style phones. TouchWhizz is a well documented love/hate tweaked UI, which I would like to think I could circumvent as much as possible with the likes of Nova. The bloatware (and associated performance issues and storage space all that rubbish takes up) are my major concerns though, and I'm interested to hear the thoughts of those that have lived with this product rather than the many great review sites that might have only had a day with the device.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Considering a Pro S 10.1

Hmm, I'm taking the overall silence as a sign that not many people have gone down this route and I should probably stay clear!!!

Posted via Android Central App

I have had the Tab Pro 10.1 for just a couple of months and am very happy with it. It is my first Andoid device so can't really compare it with any other models.

As far as storage goes, 4.52gb of the 16gb is taken up by the OS, and another 1.92gb by the preinstalled apps and their frequent updates. Some of that preinstalled stuff cannot be removed, or if it can, I haven't figured out how to. That leaves 9.56gb of usable space, plus 32gb on optional SD card.

I bought at £379 which is a price I was happy with. It increased to £449 soon afterwards and is still at that price with most retailers. I am surprised none so far have price matched Currys/PC World at £299. I would say it is a bargain at that price.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Thanks for the feedback. I really do like the look of this and would love to try out an Android tablet if only as an experiment.

I know there are lots of online reviews and videos for this model, but I found one particular You Tube clip very useful. Not sure if I can post links but you will find it by searching:
    30+ Tips and Tricks for the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1"

Edit: Looks like I can post links, you should hopefully see the video below.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks. Will check this out

I'm thinking of selling my ipad air abs buying the tab pro 10.1. I was considering it when I got the air but went with the air. I just think that it will go better with my Galaxy S5.

Posted from my S5
    Posted from my iPad mini/Air.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Well I went for it. Ordered one yesterday so it'll be interesting to see how I get on with Android on a big old tablet. Certainly looking forward to it!!

Good for you, do let us know how you get on with it.

By the way, I have since managed to remove some of the preinstalled apps and their updates, freeing up over 1gb of space.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

How did you do that? I thought they could only be disabled

That was my understanding too. I have installed various apps to try them out and then uninstalled them again when I decided I didn't like them. But some of the preinstalled apps don't show any uninstall option and because I thought disabling unused/unwanted apps wouldn't free up any space, I had never bothered disabling any until now. But when you click to disable, a few warnings and options appear. One warning is that data will be removed, which is what I wanted. One option offered is to install a factory version of the app instead, which I didn't really want. Rejecting that option resulted in no action being taken, the original app and its updates remained in place and enabled. That was why I thought I was stuck with them and their frequent updates.

But when I clicked to disable and then instead accepted the option for a factory version of the app, the original app and all its updates were removed. The factory versions are tiny by comparison, varying from 700kb to just a few mb. Those factory versions show in the disabled app list and are no longer updated automatically. I am notified of available updates but just ignore them. I think I removed/disabled 10 or so fairly large apps, mainly the numerous Hancom Office ones, and that freed up 1gb of space. Space hadn't become an issue for me, but I was worried that it might with the frequency of updates to those particular apps.

Hope that makes sense.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Gotcha. Smart move.