Why isn't my computer recognizing my Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1?

Just As I Am

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1: Computer Not Recognizing it.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro (SM-520). It has been working perfectly.

Now, all of a sudden, when I plug in the usb cable, it does not show up in the "My Computer" section of my Windows 7 system. It gives the familiar "ding" sound when I plug it in, and it charges using the same cable, but now I cannot drag files across to it anymore.

Ideas?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1: Computer Not Recognizing it.

On your tablet, is there a USB connection notification? If so, tap it, and make sure it's set to MTP.

If there is not USB connection notification, try using a different cable. If a different cable doesn't help, then make sure there isn't any debris in the tablet's microUSB port.

On the computer, open the Control Panel and go to Device Manager. Can you find the device listed there? If so, Remove it, unplug the device from the computer, then plug it back in again, and see if the Plug and Play process finds it and reinstalls it.

Just As I Am

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1: Computer Not Recognizing it.

Thank you for the quick reply.

There is a USB notification, and it is set to MTP. I have tried several cables and get the same results (note: I have no problem charging the tablet with these same cables). I checked the Device Manager and the device was not listed. I plugged it in and I get one entry under "Asus Android Device" (Samsung Android ADB Interface). After deleting that reference, unplugging my tablet, and then re-plugging it back in, it re-installed the it and it shows up in the Device Manager.

However, it still does not show up in "My Computer".

I just noticed in the Device Manager, under "Portable Devices", there is a reference to my tablet with a ! next to it.

When I reinstall the software for it, I get an error stating that it encountered an error "This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)".

Ideas?

yuepc000

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem with my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. It disappeared from the Windows File Explorer screen. I tried all that was suggested here. The driver was reinstalled successfully and the device showed up in the Device Manager as working. It still didn't show up on the explorer screen until I finally rebooted the tablet. Thanks to all.

Steve Swift

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I had a similar problem with my Galaxy Tab S2. I went into Device Manager and under Portable Devices, I deleted the device (I forget what it was).
Then, when I reconnected the Tab S2, windows re-installed the driver and now I have "Galaxy Tab S2" under "Portable Devices" and my USB drives are back.
Please note, I had to find "Device Manager" the old-fashioned way. The new funky Windows 7 "Devices and Printers" knows nothing about portable devices.
I have a strong suspicion that the loss of the USB drives was caused by installing and then un-installing Samsung Kies. That's the only relevant change I've made since the last time I saw my USB drives...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze