How can I watch films on a memory card?

Margandy21

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Watching films on a memory card

Hi I have just purchased my new tab pro, I don't want to download movies through my tablet , but I have a memory card with films on . Is it just a case of putting my memory card in and transferring the movies over to watch or is it more complicated than that !!

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Watching films on a memory card

Assuming the movies are just files, not DVDs, that's it. (The card should be at least a U1 card - if it's large enough that you're going to be keeping it a while it should be U3 - a U1 card isn't fast enough for 4k video but it should be fine for most movie file formats.)

However ... if you're talking about movies you pay for, you normally can only play them on the device they were downloaded on and, for that reason, the app that downloads them won't save to external storage. (You're buying the right to watch the movie on a single device, you're not buying ownership of the file.) And if you try to copy the files to the external card, they won't play.

DukeOfURL01

May 24, 2014
Visit site

I use VLC all the time, it works great. You should probably have a good memory card, like a SanDisk or Samsung or something, and not an el-cheapo one like I see all the time.

DukeOfURL01

May 24, 2014
Visit site

You assume that the movies that the OP has are DRM'ed, and that is a safe assumption, but at the same time, I have several movies and video clips of many different formats (.avi, .mov, .wmv, .mkv, .mp4, etc) that I've collected over the years, and VLC can play them all. I also have a Roku, and I can also watch my movies through that, but I have to convert them to .mp4 first, so that it can play them, but with Handbrake it's no problem.