Pro vs. Tab A?

onnad

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
If you was to choose between the two tablets (Pro 10.1" vs. Tab A 9.7") which would you chose and why?

When did each of these models come out?

Thanks!!

doggy2965

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
If you was to choose between the two tablets (Pro 10.1" vs. Tab A 9.7") which would you chose and why?

When did each of these models come out?

Thanks!!

I selected the pro mostly for the much better screen

Posted via the Android Central App

wookiee2cu

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I'd definitely go with the Pro. I actually purchased the Tab A 9.7" from Costco as it had the 32GB storage (also comes with a free cover) but didn't catch the resolution being 1024x768. The resolution really wasn't that bad but the issue I ran into is when I mirrored it to my Samsung TV it was in a 4:3 aspect ratio so it only took up a square section in the middle of my TV with a ton of dead space on all sides. I took it back to Costco the next day and then went to BestBuy and picked up the Pro 10.1" as they were having a sale on them... I want to say it was $100 off (still is) which made it $9 cheaper than the Tab A 9.7". I picked up a micro SD card to make up for the storage difference and a cover for it so all in all it cost me about $65 more than the Tab A 9.7" but it has a much better screen (crisper text, better colors) and it mirrors much better to my TV with very little dead space(it's not a true 16:9 aspect ratio but dang close). They are basically the same price, with the Tab you get 32BG device storage instead of the 16GB on the Pro but the Pro has a much better screen and slightly larger and micro SD cards are pretty cheap.

qbrick

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
You forgot to mention, for what purpose you need the tab. If you need it for everything except graphic intense gaming, watching movies in 16:9 and showing off top notch specs, the Tab A is probably the device to go.
I dropped my Tab Pro 10.1 Wifi (which was in use for more than a year) on the floor a few days ago and am now running with the Tab A 9.7. My main use is reading epub and pdf, browsing with firefox, doing email and occasionally working on office documents and playing a match of chess, sudoku and the likes.
In my opinion the Tab A is a perfect device for these purposes. All such tasks are mastered with energy saving mode activated in an extremely smooth way, actually much smoother than the Tab Pro 10.1 Wifi with the Exynos cpu. Especially Firefox lagged a lot on my Tab Pro when scrolling web pages, rendering text and zooming the page. The Tab A 9.7 behaves just buttery smooth doing all these tasks.
Another advantage over the Tab Pro might be, that Samsung in the meantime actually has decluttered its user interface a lot and even allows certain preinstalled apps to be removed from the device (like it is the case with the Lumias).
Samsung confirmed that the new Android M will be rolled out on the Tab A (which is on Lollipop already) by the and of this year whereas for the Tab Pro Lollipop is still pending.

Concerning display resolution: With my reading specs on I have no problem reading stuff. Most of us still use Notebooks with a lower resolution, so we are inured to screen resolutions of 1366x768 on a 16 inch display. 1024 on a 10 inch display shouldn't be much of a problem, then. And with the tasks in mind I mentioned above, 4:3 is definately superior to 16:10 which is what the Tab Pro has IIRC.
Battery runtime: I think they are pretty similar. The Tab Pro is a long runner and the Tab A uses 3% battery in one hour browsing (loading a new web page every 20 seconds which is my typical 'what are the news?' mode after waking up in the morning).
Now, the price difference is small (about 30 EUR on Amazon in Germany), but since I had to replace my old Tab Pro and was aware of its glitches I was ready to try something new - and haven't regretted it yet.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol