Charging time for 12.2 Pro

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I am on my 2nd Pro 12.2 (both refurbs). The first wouldn't really charge at all. The 2nd charges, but very slowly.

I was at 14%. I shut off the tablet and plugged it in (OEM charger/cable). After 2 hours it was only at 16%!

How long does it take to fully charge this tablet?

Is something wrong with it? Battery life while using it seems pretty good. It just is so slow to charge.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Are you using the right charger/cable and have you tried changing power ports? It shouldn't take more than 5 or 6 hours to charge from 0 to 100 with a 2A charger.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I was using a battery app to monitor. When plugged in, it was actually only getting around 400mah. I tried plugging in the OEM cord to my Asus tablet charger and it was similar.

Then I tried using my Asus Transformer charger with a regular Micro usb 2.0 cable and it is charging much faster.

I have no idea why the OEM charger doesn't work. It says 5v 2AMP on the charger.

Especially to have a problem with 2 of them is odd. Though if you search, there are more than a handful of people having problems. Maybe a batch of defective chargers?? Maybe they are phone chargers mislabeled?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
That is odd... I have seen reports of people having issues with their original chargers, but mostly on S6's. If you have another charger lying around, wouldn't hurt to try that, as long as it's over 1A. The rate you're seeing sounds almost as if you were charging it through a standard USB port (500mAh max).

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
That is odd... I have seen reports of people having issues with their original chargers, but mostly on S6's. If you have another charger lying around, wouldn't hurt to try that, as long as it's over 1A. The rate you're seeing sounds almost as if you were charging it through a standard USB port (500mAh max).

When I use a standard Micro USB 2.0 cable and the Samsung charger, the tablet charges. It must be the cable. It seems very odd that I would get 2 bad cables in a row. I've had at least 10 smartphones and at least 5 tablets and never had any issue like this.

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
When I use a standard Micro USB 2.0 cable and the Samsung charger, the tablet charges. It must be the cable. It seems very odd that I would get 2 bad cables in a row. I've had at least 10 smartphones and at least 5 tablets and never had any issue like this.

No more guessing if you're having this tool, around $3-$8, depending which one you pick:
USB current and voltage tester | eBay

You should use adapter with output 5.3 Volts, 2 Amps for this tablet, charging current should be ~ 1.7 Amps, less than 1 Amp when nearly full charge. Under that reading (1.7 Amps ), you have bad adapter, or USB cable, or USB charging port. Under 5.3 Volts, you should replace the adapter, don't confuse when using other adapters which has only 5 Volts output. I don't recommend to use wrong adapter 5 V, 2A because you might over heat it to charge this tablet.

Last edited:

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
No more guessing if you're having this tool, around $3-$8, depending which one you pick:
USB current and voltage tester | eBay

You should use adapter with output 5.3 Volts, 2 Amps for this tablet, charging current should be ~ 1.7 Amps, less than 1 Amp when nearly full charge. Under that reading (1.7 Amps ), you have bad adapter, or USB cable, or USB charging port. Under 5.3 Volts, you should replace the adapter, don't confuse when using other adapters which has only 5 Volts output. I don't recommend to use wrong adapter 5 V, 2A because you might over heat it to charge this tablet.

It would probably be handy to have one of those, but if the tablet doesn't charge, obviously there is a problem. In my case substitution showed it to be the cable. Those mostly ship from China, so it takes weeks to get them.

BTW...the Samsung charger that came with my tablet says 5.0V on it. Not 5.3. It is model ETA-U90JWE

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
The correct adapter for this big screen 12.2 tablet is 5.3 V, 2 A . Of course you can use a 5V, 2 A adapter but it takes longer to charge and might have heat up a little bit compared to the correct one. All other Samsung tablets ( smaller screen size ) use 5 V, 2 A adapter, they look similar but if you look closely at the small print, the output is different.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Most reports I read from the S6 were with the cable as well... Guess Samsung's cable supplier has a very pressing quality issue then.

As for the charger, yes, 5V and 5.3V will do it (standard USB is 5V, it changes a bit for Quick charge features, which this tablet doesn't support anyway). 2A should charge your tablet in 'normal speeds', which is about 5 or 6 hours for a single full charge. 1A chargers will take twice as long and standard USB ports (like non-powered PC ports) that run at 500mA will take a looooong time, and your tablet will even tell you with a red exclamation mark on the charging indicator.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought a couple of cheap cables from Amazon and they work fine for charging. Surprising I got 2 bad cables from Samsung.

My Brother pointed out that that could be the reason they were sent in for refurb and that Samsung probably doesn't check the cables/charger.