Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 18 of 18
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By brosko
  • 3 Post By lattemaker
  • 1 Post By dwd3885
  • 2 Post By VolMan37421
  • 2 Post By Wobblin30
  • 1 Post By LonestarROB
  • 1 Post By Wobblin30
  • 1 Post By armwood
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Excuse my ignorance. I'm no "tech nerd" as far as specs' and such are concerned, but I do like to have the "Latest and Greatest" tech toys. . I currently have the 2013 Nexus 7 tablet. I like it and think it's a Great tablet. The upcoming Tab Pro's sound great though. How much of an upgrade is this tablet over the Nexus 7? Worthy upgrade?

    Thanks,
    Rob
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Personally I wouldn't switch. That's not to say the galaxy tab 8.4 won't be a good tablet, however in your case I would pass unless your looking for a slightly larger screen. Details other than that are slim to none at this point in time. I would wait until a proper announcement to make any decision.

    Posted via Android Central App
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Yea, I'm definitely going to wait until all the specs and everything is official. But to the average person(me) the rumored specs make it look like quite the powerhouse. Certainly like the larger screen though!
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post
    Yea, I'm definitely going to wait until all the specs and everything is official. But to the average person(me) the rumored specs make it look like quite the powerhouse. Certainly like the larger screen though!
    Just the screen size difference alone is reason enough. The 7 inch screenis a little cramped. 8ish is perfect. I have both the n7 and tab 3 8 and I find myself wanting to use the 8 more often. Much easier to browse internet and use in general. The 8.4 also has an absolutely killer screen (something like 340 or so ppi) I bet you it will make the nexus look a little grainy. Also samsung doesn't waste alot of space with huge bezels like the n7. That may be a disadvantage for some (gamers) but for me it is perfect as I only surf internet/check email etc. The tablet remains overall very compact and portable while still maintaining maximum screen size.
    dwd3885 and Premium1 like this.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Tonight I returned my Nexus 7 at Best Buy and picked up the Pro 8.4. I couldn't be happier! The bigger screen is defiantly better to have for browsing the internet and pretty much everything else. Oh, and the screen is amazing. I thought the Nexus 7 screen was great, this screen is only better. The other thing I have noticed off the bat is that this thing flies. Its very snappy and there is absolutely no lag what so ever. My only gripe is the 16GB of storage, however being able to expand on that via the Micro SD card slot its not really a problem. And I've heard that you can transfer apps to the SD card so that solves the space problem even more. If anyone has any specific questions they have for me feel free to ask.
    Thanked by 2:
    dwd3885, Premium1 and Billy95Tech like this.
  6. #6  
    dwd3885's Avatar

    Posts
    630 Posts
    Global Posts
    634 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    If you are happy with the size of the Nexus 7, I wouldn't switch. However, if you would like a little bigger tablet, I would switch in a heartbeat! I switched from Nexus 7 to G Pad to Tab 8.4 and the Tab Pro 8.4 definitely is the best one.
    Thanked by:
    Premium1 likes this.
  7. #7  
    mattskr's Avatar

    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by dwd3885 View Post
    If you are happy with the size of the Nexus 7, I wouldn't switch. However, if you would like a little bigger tablet, I would switch in a heartbeat! I switched from Nexus 7 to G Pad to Tab 8.4 and the Tab Pro 8.4 definitely is the best one.
    I did the exact same thing and concur, the 8.4 is the best!
    Thanked by:
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    I agree about switching from Nexus 7 to Tab Pro 8.4. I traded my Nexus in for the 8.4 and I'm very glad I did.
    Thanked by:
    dwd3885 and Billy95Tech like this.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VolMan37421 View Post
    I agree about switching from Nexus 7 to Tab Pro 8.4. I traded my Nexus in for the 8.4 and I'm very glad I did.
    Returned my Nexus 7 for the 8.4 without any regrets.This was my 2nd 2013 7 (sold the first one) and wanted a change. As much as I loved the performance, the 7 is more or less a blown up phone. Having had a Note 3 and One Max, the 7's screen was not big a big enough bump for my tablet experience. On the 8.4, the extra screen real estate has been a huge factor for me especially with web browsing and gaming. Hancom Office blows anything Drive has to offer out of the water in terms of editing docs and spreadsheets. I currently use Magazine UX for multi-window support. As I get bored and need a refresh, GEL and Nova will do.

    Still waiting on that damn Samsung perks email!
    Last edited by Wobblin30; 02-24-2014 at 12:09 PM.
    frope01 and Billy95Tech like this.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Thanks for the opinions everyone! Just might be picking one up soon ( maybe as early as today ). I really like the Nexus 7 but the screen is starting to give me problems. Was going to try and wait for the next Nexus or the rumored tablet coming from HTC but can't wait that long. If need be, I'll just trade the TabPro in when that time comes.

    Rob
    brosko likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarROB View Post
    Thanks for the opinions everyone! Just might be picking one up soon ( maybe as early as today ). I really like the Nexus 7 but the screen is starting to give me problems. Was going to try and wait for the next Nexus or the rumored tablet coming from HTC but can't wait that long. If need be, I'll just trade the TabPro in when that time comes.

    Rob
    I was on the fence last week until I stopped in to Best Buy to try out. After two minutes of playing around, I was sold. The screen on the 8.4 is ridiculous!

    Posted from Moto X via Android Central App
    brosko likes this.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    I was/am in the same boat. I bought the 2013 Nexus 7 within the first month of its release, and I've enjoyed it very much. The Nexus was an upgrade to an older Samsung Tab 2 7.0. At the time I was anxious about the lack of Micro SD slot, so I opted for the 32gb model. I've never felt a lack for storage.

    I saw the Tab Pro in one of their recent TV commercials, and decided to check it out. I bought it very nearly on impulse, after doing a small amount of online research and handling one in person at the local big box store. All the online reviews nearly raved, citing only "average" battery life as one of the few drawbacks. Well, after owning it for two days now and comparing it to my 2013 Nexus 7, I'm trying hard to love the Tab Pro 8.4 but just not feeling it yet.

    Yes, the screen is big and bright, and multi-window is pretty cool. I like the comfort of knowing I have a Micro SD slot and can stuff the 128 GB card in there some day. But that is where the joy ends. The screen is NOT better than the Nexus 7, only bigger. I can't notice the slight increase in pixel density (323 vs 359), but I quickly noticed the difference in contrast ratio and viewing angle. I guess it is a case of clever marketing, where they know bigger numbers (more pixels) sell screens. The Tab Pro screen is bright and works well for the desktop and applications, but simply is not as good as the Nexus 7 for watching movies. There is a distracting silvery shimmer to any letterboxes and the color is not consistent from one side of the frame to the other. One side has a slight silvery-bluish hue, while the other is greyish-brown. Extreme off angle viewing just results in a washed out low contrast grey hash. Even when you are on angle, the Tab Pro 8.4 does not pull the same level of detail out of the dark sections of images as the 2013 Nexus 7. Ignore the movies, and sometimes the text suffers too. Certain web pages have an odd softness (blurriness?) to the text, and again the contrast ratio just isn't the same. Black text on white background is not as precise as the screen on the Nexus 7.

    Mind you, I am being extremely critical. But, for the nearly four hundred bucks I paid and the glowing reviews I had read, I expected better. I've also experienced the mystery crackling noises coming out of the speakers when the Tab should be otherwise silent. I agree that it seems to be somehow linked to processor usage. I expect a muted Tab to be silent, but unfortunately this one is not.

    I'm also having difficultly adjusting to the Samsung skinned UI. After using bone-stock Android for the better part of nine months now, I have nearly forgotten Touchwiz. I do not prefer the Samsung version of the settings screen. I'm struggling to find the "hide" icon for the on-screen keyboard. Why can't I use the DashClock app any more? I absolutely detest the mechanical "home" button. Did I already mention the multi-window feature is pretty cool? I wouldn't mind keeping that.

    Physically, I do admit to liking the larger screen and confess that was one of the major selling points. However, I'm finding that in practice I tend to spend time holding my tablet one handed. The seven inch format is no trouble at all. The 8.4 is manageable, but just enough additional weight that I'm starting to notice. I can't quite keep the same balance that I could on the Nexus 7. I do this thing where I hold the tablet in my left hand during landscape mode. I tuck the lower left corner in the palm of my hand, hold up the short edge with my thumb, and support the bottom edge with my pinky finger. My hands aren't quite big enough to hold the Tab Pro 8.4 for long periods of time in this position, and I find I need to bring my right hand in to support the other side. Again, this is OK for portrait mode but I use my tablet quite a lot for watching movies, and landscape just doesn't cut it. I'd rather watch a slightly smaller screen and hold it closer to my face than struggle to hold a larger one.

    I'm certain the Snapdragon 800 is faster than the S4 Pro in the Nexus 7, but honestly I haven't noticed the difference. I have noticed that I've only had the Tab for two days, and I'm already down to 6 GB free after loading some of my "essential" apps. I'm worried that 16 GB will not be enough, even if I can l keep all my media on the Micro SD card. If the Tab Pro had been sold in a 32 GB version, I would have gladly paid the extra fifty bucks for it.

    Anyway, I'm willing to give it another few days but if I don't have an epiphany I think this thing is going back. The biggest thing for me is the screen. It's almost the old adage - it doesn't have to work good, it only has to look good. And the Tab Pro 8.4 does look good, but the 2013 Nexus 7 looks better. Only smaller. Heck, even my wife's old iPad 2 feels like it has a better screen on it, at least with regards to contrast ratio and viewing angle.

    I think what I really wanted was a Nexus 7 with this year's fastest processor and a Micro SD slot, but the Tab Pro 8.4 ain't it. Did anyone else feel the same way?
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    That's a nice article, but can argue with many of your points there. It takes up to 64gb SD card. At pixel density 323 vs 359 going to be nearly impossible for us to truly tell some difference. I think video looks better on tab pro 8.4 and viewing angle is great. Some content not optimized for this resolution. Text looks terrific on both. The software and and form factor is a matter of opinion. I generally prefer stock android but you lose some things and gain others. Wait for a custom ROM maybe. Videos look better in landscape and 16:10. iPad 2 (and 4) screen not looking better. Nexus 7 screen close, I would take this one. If you have hard time finding anything better than with n7, would return the sgtp.

    Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
    I was/am in the same boat. I bought the 2013 Nexus 7 within the first month of its release, and I've enjoyed it very much. The Nexus was an upgrade to an older Samsung Tab 2 7.0. At the time I was anxious about the lack of Micro SD slot, so I opted for the 32gb model. I've never felt a lack for storage.

    I saw the Tab Pro in one of their recent TV commercials, and decided to check it out. I bought it very nearly on impulse, after doing a small amount of online research and handling one in person at the local big box store. All the online reviews nearly raved, citing only "average" battery life as one of the few drawbacks. Well, after owning it for two days now and comparing it to my 2013 Nexus 7, I'm trying hard to love the Tab Pro 8.4 but just not feeling it yet.

    Yes, the screen is big and bright, and multi-window is pretty cool. I like the comfort of knowing I have a Micro SD slot and can stuff the 128 GB card in there some day. But that is where the joy ends. The screen is NOT better than the Nexus 7, only bigger. I can't notice the slight increase in pixel density (323 vs 359), but I quickly noticed the difference in contrast ratio and viewing angle. I guess it is a case of clever marketing, where they know bigger numbers (more pixels) sell screens. The Tab Pro screen is bright and works well for the desktop and applications, but simply is not as good as the Nexus 7 for watching movies. There is a distracting silvery shimmer to any letterboxes and the color is not consistent from one side of the frame to the other. One side has a slight silvery-bluish hue, while the other is greyish-brown. Extreme off angle viewing just results in a washed out low contrast grey hash. Even when you are on angle, the Tab Pro 8.4 does not pull the same level of detail out of the dark sections of images as the 2013 Nexus 7. Ignore the movies, and sometimes the text suffers too. Certain web pages have an odd softness (blurriness?) to the text, and again the contrast ratio just isn't the same. Black text on white background is not as precise as the screen on the Nexus 7.

    Mind you, I am being extremely critical. But, for the nearly four hundred bucks I paid and the glowing reviews I had read, I expected better. I've also experienced the mystery crackling noises coming out of the speakers when the Tab should be otherwise silent. I agree that it seems to be somehow linked to processor usage. I expect a muted Tab to be silent, but unfortunately this one is not.

    I'm also having difficultly adjusting to the Samsung skinned UI. After using bone-stock Android for the better part of nine months now, I have nearly forgotten Touchwiz. I do not prefer the Samsung version of the settings screen. I'm struggling to find the "hide" icon for the on-screen keyboard. Why can't I use the DashClock app any more? I absolutely detest the mechanical "home" button. Did I already mention the multi-window feature is pretty cool? I wouldn't mind keeping that.

    Physically, I do admit to liking the larger screen and confess that was one of the major selling points. However, I'm finding that in practice I tend to spend time holding my tablet one handed. The seven inch format is no trouble at all. The 8.4 is manageable, but just enough additional weight that I'm starting to notice. I can't quite keep the same balance that I could on the Nexus 7. I do this thing where I hold the tablet in my left hand during landscape mode. I tuck the lower left corner in the palm of my hand, hold up the short edge with my thumb, and support the bottom edge with my pinky finger. My hands aren't quite big enough to hold the Tab Pro 8.4 for long periods of time in this position, and I find I need to bring my right hand in to support the other side. Again, this is OK for portrait mode but I use my tablet quite a lot for watching movies, and landscape just doesn't cut it. I'd rather watch a slightly smaller screen and hold it closer to my face than struggle to hold a larger one.

    I'm certain the Snapdragon 800 is faster than the S4 Pro in the Nexus 7, but honestly I haven't noticed the difference. I have noticed that I've only had the Tab for two days, and I'm already down to 6 GB free after loading some of my "essential" apps. I'm worried that 16 GB will not be enough, even if I can l keep all my media on the Micro SD card. If the Tab Pro had been sold in a 32 GB version, I would have gladly paid the extra fifty bucks for it.

    Anyway, I'm willing to give it another few days but if I don't have an epiphany I think this thing is going back. The biggest thing for me is the screen. It's almost the old adage - it doesn't have to work good, it only has to look good. And the Tab Pro 8.4 does look good, but the 2013 Nexus 7 looks better. Only smaller. Heck, even my wife's old iPad 2 feels like it has a better screen on it, at least with regards to contrast ratio and viewing angle.

    I think what I really wanted was a Nexus 7 with this year's fastest processor and a Micro SD slot, but the Tab Pro 8.4 ain't it. Did anyone else feel the same way?
    I felt the screen on the sgtp wasnt as good as advertised when I saw it in the store. I actually think the n7 looks a little sharper. I thought it was my eyes or something as everything I have have read says the screen should be better. I just didn't see it.
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    Quote Originally Posted by Ty_Bower View Post
    I saw the Tab Pro... and decided to check it out.

    The Tab Pro screen is bright but simply not as good for watching movies. There is a distracting silvery shimmer and the color is not consistent from one side to the other. One side has a slight silvery-bluish hue, while the other is greyish-brown. Extreme off angle viewing just results in a washed out low contrast grey hash. Even when you are on angle, the Tab Pro 8.4 does not pull the same level of detail out of the dark sections. Certain web pages have an odd softness (blurriness?) to the text, and again the contrast ratio just isn't the same. Black text on white background is not as precise...
    I'm so excited about the upcoming arrival of the Tab S 8.4. It sounds like this AMOLED screen is exactly what I wanted on the Pro. Is Samsung listening to me?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    I had the Nexus 7 2013 for 8 months before I sold it and got the Samsung Galaxy Pro 8.4. The screen on my device is spectacular. It is far superior to the Nexus 7 much more so than I could tell comparing the two devices side by side at Best Buy. I have a totally consistent screen experience without any problems that were described in the previous post. I had both devices at the same time and compared them. I do not like the Samsung TouchWiz UI and the Magazine UX feature. It is a glorified limited Flipboard overlay. I immedial side loaded the Google Now Launcher which brought back the main interface features of vanilla Android. However I am still stuck with the tabbed settings menu that is less intuitive than vanilla Android. However it is easy to get used to. This tablet is much faster than my 32GB Nexus 7. The screen is far superior on the 8.4. I am in my sixties and the better and larger screen makes a large difference on my eyes. I sit in front of some kind of screen nearly sixteen hours per day. Do not hesitate to move up to the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.
    Premium1 likes this.
  17. #17  
    mpayne2k's Avatar

    Posts
    17 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    I would concur with armwood's post. The screen on the Pro 8.4 is vastly superior to the Nexus 7 2013. I own both and have been able to carve a niche for each and use them for different purposes. For the Nexus 7 2013, having owned it for 10 months now, it has pretty much been relegated to moderate browsing (slick deals, tapatalk apps), book "reading" with Audible and primarily video viewing in the car and at the gym. The Nexus is just perfect in fitting into my car's center console, it literally slots in and stays in place even under heavy acceleration.

    As for the Pro 8.4. I use it mostly for all other video viewing as the screen is less noisy, crisper and overall more appealing to me than the Nexus 7. I have Nova installed on both and have to say it seems more stock than even Google's Experience Launcher. The only knock I have on both the Pro 8.4 and the Nexus 7 is the battery life. I have to do so much maintenance to make sure some app doesn't run and hijack my system. For example, I've taken my Pro 8.4 off charge and taken it to work with me and when checking it a few hours later after no use, it had already drained down to 85%. I've experienced this phenomenon on my Nexus 7 as well and have since installed Battery Doctor to monitor the tabs and kill unnecessary "keep tablet awake" apps.

    This is the thing with Android that I still can't wrap my head around. I've never achieved true battery life as claimed on any Android tablet I've owned and I'm on my 3rd and 4th respectively with the Nexus 7 and Pro 8.4. I own several iPads as well and I have to say their iOS, for all the talk of how stale it may seem, is truly optimized to sap the most out of the battery. I've browsed here and there for the past week on my iPad Air and even done some Youtubing and still it is at 50% with "reported" 11 hours of use and 8 days, 11 hours since last full charge!
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Nexus 7 vs Tab Pro 8.4

    I picked up the Tab S 8.4 today. I gave it a week or so after initial release, and watched the reviews and user ratings carefully. I took advantage of the Best Buy "trade-in" program, giving them an old Tab 2 7.0 in exchange for a $50 gift card and a $50 coupon towards any S tablet.

    I can't find the words to express how completely satisfied I am with the AMOLED screen on the Tab S 8.4. I've never truly experienced the pure deep blacks that only AMOLED can deliver, and now I'm wondering why I waited so long. This is the screen I wanted on the Tab Pro.

    I will admit I've noticed an occasional brief stutter or lag. I am aware the Exynos 5 doesn't benchmark quite as highly as the Snapdragon 800 used in the Tab Pro. Perhaps this is the cause? Honestly, the moments feel more like a "loading" issue, rather than a "processing" deficit. If you go back and repeat the same action again, it is smooth and fluid the second time. Overall, the experience with the Tab S feels quite brisk and snappy. It is a fast tablet.

    Anyway, I'll say it again - I'm extremely pleased with the Tab S. I'm certain it will keep me quite happy for the next year or so.

Similar Threads

  1. Nexus 5: T-Mobile $30 Plan
    By Matthew Ponce de Leon in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-05-2014, 09:55 PM
  2. Nexus 5: "What phone is that?"
    By pseudoware in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 01-31-2014, 10:06 PM
  3. Nexus 5 not fully turning on
    By Bryce Garland in forum Google Nexus 5
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-26-2014, 10:25 PM
  4. issues with samsung micro sdxc uhs-1 pro card
    By galaxynote3user42 in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 05:17 PM
  5. Nexus 5 or LG G2?
    By m3mpower in forum General News & Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 04:13 PM

Posting Permissions