Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Default Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: $399? That's gotta be a typo ...

Even the Note 8 isn't that expensive, and that has a stylus. Wonder when they will actually post the REAL price ...
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-27-2014 at 06:15 PM.

Global Posts
    6,455 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Default Re: $399? That's gotta be a typo ...

I don't think it is, but I think you're right. Anything priced over about $150 and the Nexus 7 is a better deal. Sammy got confused?
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    108 Global Posts

Heh, I wouldn't go that far. I passed on the Nexus 7 2013, after Google decided to put a giant-*** bezel on it and give the middle finger to those of us that like using tablets in portrait mode. To be honest, I'd gladly pay $300 for the Tab Pro, but for $399, I could get an iPad Mini, and we all know how overpriced that thing is :P

Quote Originally Posted by worknman View Post
    Heh, I wouldn't go that far. I passed on the Nexus 7 2013, after Google decided to put a giant-*** bezel on it and give the middle finger to those of us that like using tablets in portrait mode. To be honest, I'd gladly pay $300 for the Tab Pro, but for $399, I could get an iPad Mini, and we all know how overpriced that thing is :P
    Remember the tab 3 8.0 was price at $299 when first released. Had to expect this tanlet would be at least $100 more, so this comes at no suprise. I agree, it's a bit over priced as are all samsung tabs. Pound for pound this looks like more bamg for the buck than the tab 3 8.0 was however. Tha sad thing is that samsungs usually don't drop in price that much, even after being out for a year or more. I think at $349ish they would have a real hot selling tablet with this.

I am contemplating getting this, but I just got my tab 3 8 set up where I want it and am enjoying it just fine for now. It's still tempting though.

Consider the LG G Pad is $349.99 retail, its only $50 more and you get quite a good spec increase

Quote Originally Posted by angry english View Post
    Consider the LG G Pad is $349.99 retail, its only $50 more and you get quite a good spec increase
    I think you're right. That's why I said if they sell it at the same price as the gpad it would be a hell of a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by angry english View Post
    Exactly what I came to post, granted I felt the G pad should have been $299 and realistically the tab pro should be $349 but spec wise its worth the price on paper. Certainly on par and better in many ways compared to the Ipad Mini which is the same price.

Will be interested to see how it reviews, Samsung better have made a lot of changes to the software and hopefully lets bloat especially to compete with the mini at the same price point.

I ended up buying a Note 2014 32gb. Samsung refurbished for $419, I think that's better value for money, the 16gb is $389

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
    Will be interested to see how it reviews, Samsung better have made a lot of changes to the software and hopefully lets bloat especially to compete with the mini at the same price point.
    You hit the nail on the head with this part of your post. Spec bumps are great, but if the UI experience is so bad that it drowns out the benefit of those increased specs, the bumps are meaningless. Based on my past experiences using TouchWiz (on both phones and most recently on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), I'd keep my LG G Pad GPE vs. this new Tab Pro 8.4 every time. Hopefully reviews show that Samsung has finally listened to their critics, trimmed down the bloat and optimized the over experience. I'm not holding breath.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbayrgs View Post
    You hit the nail on the head with this part of your post. Spec bumps are great, but if the UI experience is so bad that it drowns out the benefit of those increased specs, the bumps are meaningless. Based on my past experiences using TouchWiz (on both phones and most recently on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), I'd keep my LG G Pad GPE vs. this new Tab Pro 8.4 every time. Hopefully reviews show that Samsung has finally listened to their critics, trimmed down the bloat and optimized the over experience. I'm not holding breath.
    Keep in mind you can always use a custom launcher. I use Nova Prime on my S4 and it works great. And I plan to do the same thing on the Tab Pro. But I will give the new Magazine UX a chance first.
    Music Player (Remix): An advanced music app with an intuitive user interface and many unique features (Google Play Store) (Amazon App Store)
    Quick Post: The quick way to post to Twitter & Facebook (Google Play Store)

I actually always use a launcher on all of my Android devices, NOVA Prime to be specific. But using a launcher doesn't remove the bloat or lag created by a poor implemented UI--like giving a rusty, broken down car a new coat of paint. It hides some of the blemishes but doesn't change how the car runs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tbayrgs View Post
    I actually always use a launcher on all of my Android devices, NOVA Prime to be specific. But using a launcher doesn't remove the bloat or lag created by a poor implemented UI--like giving a rusty, broken down car a new coat of paint. It hides some of the blemishes but doesn't change how the car runs.
    I have high hopes for the Tab Pro running smoothly since my S4 (running a slower processor) still runs smoothly even though it has TouchWiz.
    Music Player (Remix): An advanced music app with an intuitive user interface and many unique features (Google Play Store) (Amazon App Store)
    Quick Post: The quick way to post to Twitter & Facebook (Google Play Store)

Well, regardless of my prior experiences with TouchWiz, I'll reserve judgement until we have some first-hand reviews and I can get actually get some hands-on time. I just don't have high hopes. And smooth performance is only part of the equation, at least for me personally. I hate the TW theme as well and while a launcher disguises some of it, it doesn't change the layers beyond the home screens. The notification panel alone is enough to keep me away.

Found a review today Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 review: The Professional - GSMArena.com

For those interested, seems pretty positive.
    Thanked by 2:

Battery life is the achielles heel of this tablet, in my opinion 10 hours of usage should be the minimum on tablets nowadays yet the 8.4 only managed 7:30.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by msavic6 View Post
    Battery life is the achielles heel of this tablet, in my opinion 10 hours of usage should be the minimum on tablets nowadays yet the 8.4 only managed 7:30.

I agree battery life is one of the most important factors, that said the 7 + hours was continuous usage. So you could watch a 7.5 hour movie non-stop before the tablet died. Day to day usage I am sure we will see 2 days.

Now all that said the Ipad mini sees better numbers in the 10 hour + range, so it is a factor.

Continuous usage of 7.5 he's is not bad at all. This tablet should have had NFC,Wireless charging and 3gb's of ram to be perfect. Now that would be "pro".

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    Continuous usage of 7.5 he's is not bad at all. This tablet should have had NFC,Wireless charging and 3gb's of ram to be perfect. Now that would be "pro".
    Good luck getting 7:30 of usage out of the tablet, those test results are practically impossible to replicate in a real life scenario as those results are preformed in a closed environment with nothing installed on the device. You should be happy to achieve 5:30 of usage with this tablet but once you factor in the LTE version that is going to drop even further. 3D games will slaughter this tablets battery life quite a bit, the small battery size coupled with the high resolution display and thirsty Adreno 330 GPU will prevent you from gaming for more than 2-4 hours on this tab.

Good luck getting 7:30 of usage out of the tablet, those test results are practically impossible to replicate in a real life scenario as those results are preformed in a closed environment with nothing installed on the device. You should be happy to achieve 5:30 of usage with this tablet but once you factor in the LTE version that is going to drop even further. 3D games will slaughter this tablets battery life quite a bit, the small battery size coupled with the high resolution display and thirsty Adreno 330 GPU will prevent you from gaming for more than 2-4 hours on this tab.

All the more reason it should be qi wireless charging compatible. Then it would be a non issue, as every little break you take from using it you would just sit it down on the charger. This is what I do currently with my nexus 7. Battery life issues to me no longer exist.

Quote Originally Posted by brosko View Post
    All the more reason it should be qi wireless charging compatible. Then it would be a non issue, as every little break you take from using it you would just sit it down on the charger. This is what I do currently with my nexus 7. Battery life issues to me no longer exist.
    What about when you are on a plane? Outdoors? What do you do when you don't have a charger around? That is not a solution to the problem but a bandaid in some specific situations. I looked at the battery stats on my dads iPad Air and he is at 5 days of standby and 12 hours of usage with 19% battery left, this is with LTE data used during the day and WiFi in the evening.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

What about when you are on a plane? Outdoors? What do you do when you don't have a charger around? That is not a solution to the problem but a bandaid in some specific situations. I looked at the battery stats on my dads iPad Air and he is at 5 days of standby and 12 hours of usage with 19% battery left, this is with LTE data used during the day and WiFi in the evening.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    I don't go on planes and I don't use my tablet outside.

I always have plenty of chargers around wherever and whenever I use my tablet.

Remember I was talking about me personally and my charging needs not those of specific situations.

I absolutely agree with you that for other people the rather short battery life might pose a problem and possibly even be a deal breaker.

Quote Originally Posted by MrSlippery519 View Post
    Exactly what I came to post, granted I felt the G pad should have been $299 and realistically the tab pro should be $349 but spec wise its worth the price on paper. Certainly on par and better in many ways compared to the Ipad Mini which is the same price.

The Samsung does come with 4.4 out the box and maybe a better hd screen but unless someone just loves Samsung, I don't see it being worth a lot more than the g pad, heck I don't think the g pad is worth $350. Helps that the g pad sells for $250-300 on Newegg all the time lol. I have GEL on my g pad and Nova launcher mimics kit kit well too.

Can't wait for more consumer reviews.
    Last edited by erwaso; 02-16-2014 at 09:48 AM.

8.4 is a great tab and the Ipad cost more

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erwaso View Post
    The Samsung does come with 4.4 out the box and maybe a better hd screen but unless someone just loves Samsung, I don't see it being worth a lot more than the g pad, heck I don't think the g pad is worth $350. Helps that the g pad sells for $250-300 on Newegg all the time lol. I have GEL on my g pad and Nova launcher mimics kit kit well too.

Can't wait for more consumer reviews.
    I had the G Pad, it was ok, but not great by any means. The LG software was really horrible. I had to put CM on it on day 1, but that led its own problems. The better screen, sound, and software from the Samsung are worth the money to me.
    brosko likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mattskr View Post
    I had the G Pad, it was ok, but not great by any means. The LG software was really horrible. I had to put CM on it on day 1, but that led its own problems. The better screen, sound, and software from the Samsung are worth the money to me.
    For sure. At the time the G Pad was better than the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 and now the Pro is better (although $150 more). It's a cat and mouse game that never ends.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast