1st impressions and review of the Tab Pro 8.4 Updated 2/14

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
Angry I have already returned the 8.4 for same reason. But I went with the note 10.1 instead for the ram bump and s pen if i need it. Did you look into it before grabbing pro 10.1?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Angry I have already returned the 8.4 for same reason. But I went with the note 10.1 instead for the ram bump and s pen if i need it. Did you look into it before grabbing pro 10.1?

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

I had the 2014 before i had the 8.4 and the stutter and lag drove me crazy, Samsung did a lousy job of optimizing 4.3 Touchwiz on that device so it had to go, i may revisit the note once the 4.4 update comes out and see if its as snappy as the Tab Pro... if so ill go ahead and grab another one

Tuco Ramirez

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
The device is pretty nice. Screen is sharp and build quality is good but is this probably going back.

Reason I got this was because my Nexus 7 started to stop working. I am still under warranty and that will be going back to ASUS. I cannot justify $400 dollars with no pen or wireless charging. I do not like the revamped UI and they still throw their applications in your face.

I like to lay down and watch moves on my tablet and felt the Nexus 7 was a perfect size for this and fairly light. This was a little heavier and bigger and felt too uncomfortable. I will stick with the Nexus 7 for now and get the new one that will probably come out in July with a price tag below $300 with competitive specs and stock Android

I've had the Galaxy Tab Pro for three days now and from an ergonomic standpoint, I felt it was much more comfortable to hold than the nexus 7. My nexus 7 is now up for sale.

Posted via Android Central App

RBEmerson

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
The battery issue is catching my attention. I have a RAZR MAXX phone which does its job pretty well. But it's not a real movie machine, and reading e-books works, but not as well as I'd like. The Tab will fill in those gaps but... it has to hold up for 7-8 hour flights several times a year. USAir has power points (USB connectors) but Lufthansa has power points only in First (I'm on the wrong side of the curtain).

I'm looking for a good screen, WiFi only, SD capable tab, with usable battery life for flying. Am I looking at the wrong tab here?

mattskr

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The battery issue is catching my attention. I have a RAZR MAXX phone which does its job pretty well. But it's not a real movie machine, and reading e-books works, but not as well as I'd like. The Tab will fill in those gaps but... it has to hold up for 7-8 hour flights several times a year. USAir has power points (USB connectors) but Lufthansa has power points only in First (I'm on the wrong side of the curtain).

I'm looking for a good screen, WiFi only, SD capable tab, with usable battery life for flying. Am I looking at the wrong tab here?

I have one of these. Never have to worry about finding an outlet on travel days anymore. This has enough juice to power up both the phone and tablet.

Amazon.com: IOGEAR GMP10K GearPower 11,000mAh Ultra Capacity Mobile Power Station for Smartphones/Tablets/Mobile Devices, White: Cell Phones & Accessories

Edward Weldon

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I actually returned the 8.4. The battery just would not last a full day for me. Verizon just released the LG Gpad 8.3 on LTE. It doesn't have the specs of the SG 8.4 but it better suits my needs. Battery lasts 1.5 to 2 days under normal work load, specs are good and the 4G all the time connection is a real plus. Plus it's only $299 with no contract.

Just a note, the specs for the WIFI only and the 4G models are a little different. The only difference I saw was the WIFI only is a 1.7 Snapdragon 600, the 4G is a 1.5 Snapdragon 600.

mysterygirl

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Obviously there are a lot of factors at play, but I get 7 to 8 hours screen on time when I'm using it consistently (i. e. heavy use in a 12-24 hour period of time). Generally, my use pattern allows the battery to go for 2 to 3 days with around 6 hours of screen time (lots more standby time). Definitely better than my N7.

Profaniter

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
2/15 returned tablet due to back coming off

This tablet has had a lot of hype since it was announced, and a lot of people also look at the high price and shy away but dont be so fast to walk past it, its nice... really nice.

I`ll start with what i consider the biggest plus point on this tablet, the screen. Its crisp, sharp, bright and has good color temps, it shows every detail. I consider this to be the finest screen among any tablet out there right now by any manufacturer be it Apple, MS or LG, it really is a nice screen, the reds are vibrant, the whites are white and the blacks are black, it pops. put this next to the LG G Pad and this is where you can see how good this screen is.

Build quality.... typical Samsung really, nothing very premium about it. Its like an extra large Galaxy Note 3 with the faux leather and stiching, the plastic back is a little thin and does have some flex, this can be a good or a bad thing. The plastic silver trim around the outside is tacky and you can tell its plastic and not aluminum. As said earlier... Typical Samsung fare. No rattles, creeking or anything else, overall solid but very plastic lol

The Snapdragon 800 is just like it is with every other device... its fast, very little lag with touchwizz, actually almost non existant, only slight stutter i seen was when i swiped from the icon filled home screen to the widget filled my magazine page and it was ever so slight. Considering the Note 10.1 2014 has 3gb of RAM and the Exynos you would think it would be the faster of the two but it isnt, by a long way. Im not sure if that soley down to Kitkat or poor 4.3 touchwiz optimization on the Note

I`m slightly impressed by the speakers. they have a decent volume and sound ok, better than i thought they would. These are no HTC One boomsound speaker but they are much better sounding than those found on the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, they have a little more bass.

Audio quality through headphones is nice, im no audiophile but everything is clear and precise.

Wifi works well getting good range and keep constant speeds

Battery is ok, not great and not total crap its ok about 6-7 hours of use, this could be a deal breaker for some but for me its fine as im always near a charger.

Oh and surprisingly, it has a decent camera on it also

Overall i think this is the best tablet ive owned, i prefer to the G Pad due to a much nicer screen. I put the Google Now Launcher on my Tab Pro and it flys, i have zero lag, things open instantly, i really really like it, is it worth $399? well..... its certainly worth $50 more than the retail price of teh G Pad for the screen alone but then again i think the G Pad is about $50 over priced, i think if this tablet was at $350 it would be a great buy, at $399.. its nice and it all depends if you mind going that deep into your pockets. I`ll be sticking with this one for a while, im looking forward to seeing what Samsung do with thsi and what the new Magazine UX will look and handle like, hopefully that update wont bork the tablet

of the 16gb Storage you get 10.82gb, and Samsung seem to have held back on some of the bloat

Also the option is there for "Move to SD card" when you click on Apps

View attachment 104651

View attachment 104657

View attachment 104653

View attachment 104654

View attachment 104655

View attachment 104656

Wait a minute, on this tablet, can you move apps and games to SD card?

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
This is my first Android tablet, but not my first time dealing with Androids as most of my phones have been androids. I currently have the Note 3. I can honestly say I love this tablet. It feels like a bigger Note 3 with a tad bit more options. Picture is outstanding. I am not experiencing any lagging issues. A little over sensitive. So far the biggest negative aspect of this tablet is the AWFUL speakers. I don't know if I got a bad one. But man, I have never heard such awful sound with or without headphones. I don't want to return it because of speakers but if I listen to the ones at Best Buy and they sound better this is going back. The camera is not the best but it does the job. I find it better than the Note 3's camera anyway.

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I bought my tablet two weeks ago.

This is my second android device and android tablet as my first Android tablet was the GORGEOUS Nexus 7 (2012).

I could not believe I rushed myself buying this but it looks really good. I really could not resist. By the way, this is also my very first Samsung device.

Going on with my impressions, well I am really happy that I madee this purchase. It is really light and gorgeous. The display is superb plus the expandable MicroSD slot is just heaven. I think I could never go back toa non expandable storage device ever LOL

Everything about it feels great. I boughtthis tablet for media consumption and for a few work related things and it is really a great companion for me when I need something on the go.

The camera is pretty decent as well! The only thing that kinda disappoints me is the lag when switching from home to the Magazine UX but I knew it was coming.. other than that apps are fast and lag free! Much better than my beloved Nexus 7. Screen size is really nice too.

I am really enjoying the device much more than I thought I would. As a Microsoft guy, I can say that Samsung stepped up its game with tablets this year. I might be leaving Android maybe next year as my laptop is on its final stages and I'd probably sell this bad boy to get a Surface, still unsure but if money is tight I might but thank you for this awesome intro to me of Samsung. I also love Touchwiz especially the multi window view. I will definitely check on Samsung this time around! Great job on this, Sammy!

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'll put my review in:

Purchased this tablet March 21st, 2014 from Amazon.com for $360. White, 16GB version.

I previously owned a Kindle Fire HD 7" (16GB, 2012 version) and also own a Samsung Galaxy S3, White, 32GB version.

I'm familiar with the Samsung build quality, so the Tab Pro 8.4 having all plastic wasn't a big deal to me. I put a case on it that folds into a stand and haven't looked back! Screen is nice, text is on the small side at times, but that's more of the insane resolution than anything else.

HDMI out works perfectly as I posted in the other topic here:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-tab-pro-8-4/386429-hdmi-cable-video-out.html

Sound quality is loud but isn't the best, so I purchased a Bluetooth stereo speaker to take care of that. Wifi range seems alright, but it disconnects every so often. Not a big deal as the wifi on/off is very instant. Multi-Window works great, though I wish it would allow Hulu Plus and/or Netflix to work with two apps at once.

Memory Capacity seems good. I haven't had any storage or ram issues. The camera takes decent pictures with a flash and auto-focus. More notably fuzzier than on my S3 phone. The screen edge to the bezel is nice, but I found I would sometimes drag the screen when I'm holding or moving my tablet around which would cause undesired functions on the device itself.

I don't use Magazine UX so I took most of the widgets present, off, as to reduce the lag. I find that if you don't even swipe in that direction, you have nothing to worry about. Android games play flawlessly. Currently playing Walking Dead Season 1 (bought the Season Pass with my $25 Google Play Credit).

Lastly, the battery life seems good. I keep my device on the charger when I'm at work or out of the house anyway, so it never gets below 30%. The included white Samsung Charger charges the battery up quite fast due to the higher mAh rating. I don't have the brightness on full, maybe 1/3 of the way up and don't use auto-brightness because it's too dim. For viewing at night, I use this program called Easy Eyes that automatically dims the screen at dusk (and brightens again at dawn) to make it easier to see at night. It works great. Same idea as f.lux on Windows/Mac PCs.

----------------------------------

Overall, for my first "true" Android tablet (hated the KFHD), I would rate it a 8.5/10. Not a bad rating by any means. I just have nothing else to compare it to so it's pretty much at the top ceiling for me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781