1st impressions and review of the Tab Pro 8.4 Updated 2/14

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
2/15 returned tablet due to back coming off

This tablet has had a lot of hype since it was announced, and a lot of people also look at the high price and shy away but dont be so fast to walk past it, its nice... really nice.

I`ll start with what i consider the biggest plus point on this tablet, the screen. Its crisp, sharp, bright and has good color temps, it shows every detail. I consider this to be the finest screen among any tablet out there right now by any manufacturer be it Apple, MS or LG, it really is a nice screen, the reds are vibrant, the whites are white and the blacks are black, it pops. put this next to the LG G Pad and this is where you can see how good this screen is.

Build quality.... typical Samsung really, nothing very premium about it. Its like an extra large Galaxy Note 3 with the faux leather and stiching, the plastic back is a little thin and does have some flex, this can be a good or a bad thing. The plastic silver trim around the outside is tacky and you can tell its plastic and not aluminum. As said earlier... Typical Samsung fare. No rattles, creeking or anything else, overall solid but very plastic lol

The Snapdragon 800 is just like it is with every other device... its fast, very little lag with touchwizz, actually almost non existant, only slight stutter i seen was when i swiped from the icon filled home screen to the widget filled my magazine page and it was ever so slight. Considering the Note 10.1 2014 has 3gb of RAM and the Exynos you would think it would be the faster of the two but it isnt, by a long way. Im not sure if that soley down to Kitkat or poor 4.3 touchwiz optimization on the Note

I`m slightly impressed by the speakers. they have a decent volume and sound ok, better than i thought they would. These are no HTC One boomsound speaker but they are much better sounding than those found on the Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, they have a little more bass.

Audio quality through headphones is nice, im no audiophile but everything is clear and precise.

Wifi works well getting good range and keep constant speeds

Battery is ok, not great and not total crap its ok about 6-7 hours of use, this could be a deal breaker for some but for me its fine as im always near a charger.

Oh and surprisingly, it has a decent camera on it also

Overall i think this is the best tablet ive owned, i prefer to the G Pad due to a much nicer screen. I put the Google Now Launcher on my Tab Pro and it flys, i have zero lag, things open instantly, i really really like it, is it worth $399? well..... its certainly worth $50 more than the retail price of teh G Pad for the screen alone but then again i think the G Pad is about $50 over priced, i think if this tablet was at $350 it would be a great buy, at $399.. its nice and it all depends if you mind going that deep into your pockets. I`ll be sticking with this one for a while, im looking forward to seeing what Samsung do with thsi and what the new Magazine UX will look and handle like, hopefully that update wont bork the tablet

of the 16gb Storage you get 10.82gb, and Samsung seem to have held back on some of the bloat

Also the option is there for "Move to SD card" when you click on Apps

IMG_20140213_141239.jpg

IMG_20140213_141256.jpg

IMG_20140213_141247.jpg

IMG_20140213_141251.jpg

IMG_20140213_141303.jpg

IMG_20140213_141308.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140213_141239.jpg
    IMG_20140213_141239.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: 1st impressions of the Tab Pro 8.4

Very Nice!! If it wasnt for the snowstorm we are having I would havent gotten one already. Screen look nice and crisp!

How does netflix look?

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Very Nice!! If it wasnt for the snowstorm we are having I would havent gotten one already. Screen look nice and crisp!

How does netflix look?

it looks great so does any youtube hd movie, it really is the best screen ive used and i have used a lot including the ipad air and mini retina, you wont get a better screen at the moment if you ask me

anon(661246)

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site

it looks great so does any youtube hd movie, it really is the best screen ive used and i have used a lot including the ipad air and mini retina, you wont get a better screen at the moment if you ask me

I reserved the 8.4 at best buy. The only thing is home button in the middle. I fear when i am watching movies on it I will hit it

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for posting your initial impressions, keep us posted once you have a few days with it.

The screen certainly looks amazing, looks like it may have been a good move for me to hold off getting the g pad afterall

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for posting your initial impressions, keep us posted once you have a few days with it.

The screen certainly looks amazing, looks like it may have been a good move for me to hold off getting the g pad afterall

It really is better than the G Pad, dont get me wrong, the G Pad is a nice well built device but has some light bleed, and a very warm look to the colors, the whites are yellowish

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

played with one at BB today for about 30 minutes. Left VERY impressed. Have boxed up my Nexus 7 (2013) and will exchange tomorrow.

sudbury78

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Angry... everyone seems skeptical of the battery life. I assume everyone is comparing to an iPad mini. I had the nexus 7 and while i never needed a charger in a pinch, i didn't think it was that great for a tablet. Obviously, day 1 won't be a fair assessment.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Angry... everyone seems skeptical of the battery life. I assume everyone is comparing to an iPad mini. I had the nexus 7 and while i never needed a charger in a pinch, i didn't think it was that great for a tablet. Obviously, day 1 won't be a fair assessment.

Yeah i cannot tell yet, after a few days i can give a better assessment

Posted via Android Central App

athenatp

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site

Ok forget waiting for 2 more weeks until my bday, I'm getting one tomorrow!

dennisyy

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

The LG G pad has a terrible warm screen. That is what I concern about.
You said the color is perfect, but your photos show the white is blue. It seems like a cold color temperture.
Could you take more photos of white screen under natural light with correct white balance camera config?

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The LG G pad has a terrible warm screen. That is what I concern about.
You said the color is perfect, but your photos show the white is blue. It seems like a cold color temperture.
Could you take more photos of white screen under natural light with correct white balance camera config?

Maybe tomorrow I'll post more, that was a dimly lit office taken with a nexus 5, your best bet is go to a bestbuy if one is local and check it out

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

It really is better than the G Pad, dont get me wrong, the G Pad is a nice well built device but has some light bleed, and a very warm look to the colors, the whites are yellowish

+1000. I have the G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition and I love that tablet. But the screen is just horrible. Had to go through 3 before getting one that is decent. The whites on the G Pad are not very good, and the corners and edges of the screen are faded.

I did pick up the same Tab 8.4 you did today and it is noticeably better. Resolution is insane. The only issue is text is very tiny in some places because it seems as if Android isn't displaying properly in some apps like Chrome, or Google Play. You noticing any of that too?

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

+1000. I have the G Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition and I love that tablet. But the screen is just horrible. Had to go through 3 before getting one that is decent. The whites on the G Pad are not very good, and the corners and edges of the screen are faded.

I did pick up the same Tab 8.4 you did today and it is noticeably better. Resolution is insane. The only issue is text is very tiny in some places because it seems as if Android isn't displaying properly in some apps like Chrome, or Google Play. You noticing any of that too?

Yes you are correct, Facebook especially, I don't know if we have a setting for larger fonts, I have not looked as I've been ok but I could see that being an issue for some

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Oh and the person said the screen looks blue, it's the nexus 5 camera, just tried it on black which was quite black but through the no camera it was very blue, so it's the camera and not the tablet that gives the blue hue

Edward Weldon

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site

The black version is now available for order through BB online. Fantastic tab silky smooth. Has anyone been able to find a decent case? BB only had 1 Belkin, OK but no auto on/off.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

No nice cases as yet but give it a week or two and I'm sure amazon will be busting with them, hey do have an ivso on there right now, but it's the type with the metal clasp, i wouldn't touch one of those

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith