Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By VolMan37421
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  • 2 Post By mattskr
  • 1 Post By brosko
  • 1 Post By DanPLC
  • 1 Post By WillysJeepMan
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: My review after one week of use

Hi everyone,

I have used several tablets in the past trying to find the perfect size and screen. I believe the Tab Pro 8.4 may be it. The 2013 Nexus 7 was (and is) a great tablet. Really good screen and very portable. However, when trying to read magazines, articles, or watch movies, the screen felt cramped and the type was a little small (my eyes are not as young as they used to be) and I didn't like how it looked to increase the font size on some apps. The Nexus 10 was a great size for reading magazines and watching movies but like many reviews said, the colors are very cool and can appear washed out at times. Not to mention that is a very big tablet to hold in portrait mode when reading. The Galaxy Note 8.0 was the sweet spot I thought but when comparing the screen resolution to the two Nexus tablets, I could tell the difference.

Then the Tab Pro 8.4 came along...

The size is perfect and it's very light weight. Very, very easy to hold. The screen resolution and colors are AMAZING! Reading and watching movies are a joy (Just wish Amazon instant video would release for Android). The 16gb of storage is an irritation but learning how to get as much stuff over to the SD card minimizes that somewhat.

I know people have trashed Samsung for their love of plastic parts, but this tablet does feel well put together and not at all "cheap". Apps load very quickly and I have noticed very little lag, although moving around in the Google Play store shows noticeable lag (weird). The speakers have a decent sound and it pairs well with bluetooth headphones for even better sound. I haven't tried the camera yet but phone arena has their review up with several samples of pictures and videos. I'm sure Android Central will have some very soon. So far, everyone has been impressed with the camera.

The biggest question people have (as did I) is the value of this tablet for the mony. 399.99 is a lot to pay for a tablet. I have to say that I have found it to be well worth the price. I use it daily and will watch movies, read, and play games for a few hours each night. I traded in my Nexus 7 and do not regret the decision. Battery life appers to be holding at about a day's worth of use, but If you used it constantly I would get you could get about 6 hours or so out of it.

I've been impressed with this product and think this is what the original Note 8.0 should have been. However, it's here now and I'm very glad I made the purchase. I do believe it's worth the money. It is a beautiful product that delivers all it promises and then some.
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 02-21-2014 at 01:19 PM.
    Thanked by 2:
    Billy95Tech likes this.

Global Posts
    21,665 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Default Re: My review after one week of use

Thanks for the write up! Hopefully this will help someone who is considering buying the device in the future.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    Billy95Tech likes this.

If you ever had a chance to, could you see how long it lasts playing a game constantly? like dead trigger 2 or any racing game with high graphics? Unless you have a life then no worries lol
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hahaha! Actually I spent last night pretty much using it non-stop for about 2-3 hours. I watched several movie trailers, watched two Netflix shows, played three games (not like the ones you mentioned), and read some magazines all while listening to music through bluetooth speakers. My battery was between 90-95% when I started this mini-marathon and was at about 50% when I stopped. I didn't think to check those battery levels, but those estimates are fairly close. Don't know if that helps but I hope it does a little.

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Default Re: Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: My review after one week of use

Quote Originally Posted by VolMan37421 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I have used several tablets in the past trying to find the perfect size and screen. I believe the Tab Pro 8.4 may be it. The 2013 Nexus 7 was (and is) a great tablet. Really good screen and very portable. However, when trying to read magazines, articles, or watch movies, the screen felt cramped and the type was a little small (my eyes are not as young as they used to be) and I didn't like how it looked to increase the font size on some apps. The Nexus 10 was a great size for reading magazines and watching movies but like many reviews said, the colors are very cool and can appear washed out at times. Not to mention that is a very big tablet to hold in portrait mode when reading. The Galaxy Note 8.0 was the sweet spot I thought but when comparing the screen resolution to the two Nexus tablets, I could tell the difference.

The size is perfect and it's very light weight. Very, very easy to hold. The screen resolution and colors are AMAZING! Reading and watching movies are a joy (Just wish Amazon instant video would release for Android). The 16gb of storage is an irritation but learning how to get as much stuff over to the SD card minimizes that somewhat.

I know people have trashed Samsung for their love of plastic parts, but this tablet does feel well put together and not at all "cheap". Apps load very quickly and I have noticed very little lag, although moving around in the Google Play store shows noticeable lag (weird). The speakers have a decent sound and it pairs well with bluetooth headphones for even better sound. I haven't tried the camera yet but phone arena has their review up with several samples of pictures and videos. I'm sure Android Central will have some very soon. So far, everyone has been impressed with the camera.

The biggest question people have (as did I) is the value of this tablet for the mony. 399.99 is a lot to pay for a tablet. I have to say that I have found it to be well worth the price. I use it daily and will watch movies, read, and play games for a few hours each night. I traded in my Nexus 7 and do not regret the decision. Battery life appers to be holding at about a day's worth of use, but If you used it constantly I would get you could get about 6 hours or so out of it.

I've been impressed with this product and think this is what the original Note 8.0 should have been. However, it's here now and I'm very glad I made the purchase. I do believe it's worth the money. It is a beautiful product that delivers all it promises and then some.
    Totally agree with you. I had the Nexus 7 and thought it was too small for anything except for Kindle reading. When the LG G Pad 8.3 became available I picked on up and thought the size was perfect but the tablet itself has a few shortcomings (mainly the screen) and so when I heard about the Samsung 8.4 being available I immediately went out and grabbed it. Couldn't be happier! Now I'm looking forward to upgrading my S4 to an S5!
    Thanked by:
    VolMan37421 and Billy95Tech like this.

He says the note 8 should have been like pro 8.4.But the Note 8 has the spen abd wacom technogy -- the Pro 8 doesnt, so no comparison. The only note tablets that samsung now makes are the 2013 8.0 note, the 10.1 2014 note, and the new 12.2 pro note.

Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    He says the note 8 should have been like pro 8.4.But the Note 8 has the spen abd wacom technogy -- the Pro 8 doesnt, so no comparison. The only note tablets that samsung now makes are the 2013 8.0 note, the 10.1 2014 note, and the new 12.2 pro note.
    He said the note 8 should have been like this tablet, in respect to its screen resolution and many other attributes while still having the s pen technology.
    Thanked by:
    VolMan37421 likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

That's exactly it. Thanks for the clarification! I appreciate it.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your feedback, I think you helped me decide to remain at a $250 price point for portable tablets and direct funds in the $400+ range towards actual computer purchases, which is where I feel the better value resides. tbh I don't know if I'd go so far as to describe watching movies on any tiny tablet screen a "joy" though lol.

That's exactly it. Thanks for the clarification! I appreciate it.
    No problem. Really didn't need clarification anyway. It was pretty clear what you meant. I don't know what the other guy was talking about.

I have a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, I can not get Netflix or Amazon prime movies to play. Both say my device is not compatible.
    I am ready to return it and get the Kindle HDX
    Any ideas?

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Taylor View Post
    I have a new Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, I can not get Netflix or Amazon prime movies to play. Both say my device is not compatible.
    I am ready to return it and get the Kindle HDX
    Any ideas?
    There is not an Amazon Instant Video app for Android, so I assume you are trying to play these through the web browser on the device? Neither of these will work within a mobile browser for Android --- or other devices for that matter. iPad included.

You need to download the app for the service you wish to use. The Netflix app works fine with this device, however, as mentioned there is no Amazon Instant Video app for Android.

My only gripe with the tablet is the magazine ui and being forced to use it. It gives you the option to use things like email and calendar but yr only one I use is calendar. I prefer Gmail's widget over Samsung's stock email. Also I can't stand clipboard for anything else. I prefer the ui on play magazine. Not that they needed to go with that option but flipboard is inconsistent.

I keep saying this. Allow us to keep what we actually use and eliminate the crop and this tablet would be perfect.

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by El Platanero View Post
    My only gripe with the tablet is the magazine ui and being forced to use it. It gives you the option to use things like email and calendar but yr only one I use is calendar. I prefer Gmail's widget over Samsung's stock email. Also I can't stand clipboard for anything else. I prefer the ui on play magazine. Not that they needed to go with that option but flipboard is inconsistent.

I keep saying this. Allow us to keep what we actually use and eliminate the crop and this tablet would be perfect.

Posted via Android Central App
    You're not forced to use the Magazine UX. I'm not using it. I use a 3rd party launcher (Nova). Works great.
    WillysJeepMan likes this.

If i use another Launcher, will all that Samsung garbage still be loaded into memory?

I dont mind useing Nova etc as long as performance is not impacted.

I still dont see why we cant just flash to stock. And whats with all the Samsung partitioning?

Quote Originally Posted by shane.kelly55 View Post
    If i use another Launcher, will all that Samsung garbage still be loaded into memory?

I dont mind useing Nova etc as long as performance is not impacted.

I still dont see why we cant just flash to stock. And whats with all the Samsung partitioning?
    Yes, SOME of Samsung's stuff still gets loaded into memory, but there is a slight performance IMPROVEMENT when using Nova instead of the default Samsung launcher.

There are some additions to Android that Samsung made that are very beneficial, IMO. Split screen and applet overlays are just two. Flash stock Android and those are lost.

As I mentioned in another thread, I'll eventually root my Pro 8.4, and rename the Samsung bloatware (so they don't run). I did this with a GTab 2 7.0 and the difference was amazing.
    Billy95Tech likes this.