Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default From iOS to the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

I am loving the Galaxy tab pro 8.4 so far, but I have a small problem. Every now and then services or apps will close unexpectedly. There will be a small gray box that lets me know. Is this typical. It does it probably every 15 minutes or so to various things. For example I want using the Google book app and it closed unexpectedly. I have also had a couple times it actually restarted unexpectedly. Not all the time or anything, maybe a couple times a day. I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced this or should I exchange this tablet for another one.

Posted via Android Central App

Default Re: From IOS to the Galaxy tab pro 8.4

Quote Originally Posted by robert long5 View Post
    I am loving the Galaxy tab pro 8.4 so far, but I have a small problem. Every now and then services or apps will close unexpectedly. There will be a small gray box that lets me know. Is this typical. It does it probably every 15 minutes or so to various things. For example I want using the Google book app and it closed unexpectedly. I have also had a couple times it actually restarted unexpectedly. Not all the time or anything, maybe a couple times a day. I'm just wondering has anyone else experienced this or should I exchange this tablet for another one.

Sadly this is a common issue on Android. Some apps close unexpectedly and ask you to report it. Thats one reason I have an Ipad Air, Apple are excellent at having apps that work without issues. If it's happening over and over again with different kind of apps I would maybe try re-booting the tablet, if that doesnt work then look at doing a factory reset on the tab, refresh everything and try it again. Hopefully it doesnt ruin your android experience too much
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Naw it can be annoying, but overlooked. I love the way androids looks and feels. I have used Apple products for years, I won't be going back mainly because I am enjoying being able to customize it so much. My wife tried Android first by buying an S4, she hated it and used my upgrade to get a 5S, so I have been using the S4 for about three months. I love that phone and couldn't be happier. Way more fun than my iphone. I didn't get these errors with the phone so that is why I posted this. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't this particular tablet

Naw it can be annoying, but overlooked. I love the way androids looks and feels. I have used Apple products for years, I won't be going back mainly because I am enjoying being able to customize it so much. My wife tried Android first by buying an S4, she hated it and used my upgrade to get a 5S, so I have been using the S4 for about three months. I love that phone and couldn't be happier. Way more fun than my iphone. I didn't get these errors with the phone so that is why I posted this. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't this particular tablet

Also it's worth pointing out that some of the apps you download for the tablet are only really designed for the phone - so give it time and developers will make better and more secure tablet apps.

I love android too, I have the Nexus 5, which is pure Android and its a joy to play about with - I sometimes miss the gimmicks that came with the S4, but its not enough to make me want the S5 right now. I had a Galaxy Note 2 last year and loved the size and feel of the phone, so I'm going to wait for the Note 4 at the end of the year..... or maybe the Iphone 6 lol

Just to let you know, iOS apps crash too. You just don't get a message saying so. But it does happen.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

OK makes me feel a little better. Like I said it isn't all the time, but it does happen. This tablet is really nice. I can't wait to be able to root and use folder mount since I already have a 64gb sd on the way. That app is really nice on my Galaxy s4.

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

That is true now that you mention it. The alert makes it seem more pronounced. And I have had my iphone need a reset, so both do it. Man this screen is nice, like swyping in heaven lol. Got to mention I love swype, makes tapping out words seem nostalgic.

Am I the only one that thinks having various apps crash every 15mins like the OP said is a little over the top? I've had my Tab Pro 8.4 for about a week and I haven't had one app crash. Or a random restart for that matter.

Quote Originally Posted by lattemaker View Post
    Am I the only one that thinks having various apps crash every 15mins like the OP said is a little over the top? I've had my Tab Pro 8.4 for about a week and I haven't had one app crash. Or a random restart for that matter.
    I agree...app crashes every 15 minutes is way too excessive. You may have the occasional app crash but not every 15 minutes. But perhaps he's using buggy apps. I've only used Google Books a little, so I can't say whether or not it's usually buggy/crashy (I usually use the Kindle app).

If an app crashes, definitely submit a crash report. As a developer, I appreciate getting crash reports (which show up in the developer console). It usually shows exactly where the app is crashing and it's pretty easy to find the bugs and fix them.

By the way (in response to Kevin Oates), app crashes are due to bugs in the app, not because of Android itself. If an app crashes, it means it didn't properly handle an error condition. I think it's more of a challenge on Android (vs. iOS) to have error-free code because of the many different variants of devices, screen sizes / pixel density, OS versions, etc. But that's just the nature of Android. I've found in my own development that in many cases when I troubleshoot an error on a particular device (that works on most other devices), I usually uncover a bigger problem in my code that should have been fixed to begin with. For instance, when I first started learning Android development I didn't understand how to manage bitmaps in memory. I tested on my phone and my app worked perfectly, but on another device with less memory it was crashing like crazy. I then learned how to optimize my app and make it run efficiently even on lower-end devices. It forced me to write better code.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by lattemaker View Post
    Agree. I've had my tablet for 5 days and have maybe had 2 app crashes (with heavy usage) and no restarts.

Quote Originally Posted by DanPLC View Post
    I agree...app crashes every 15 minutes is way too excessive. You may have the occasional app crash but not every 15 minutes. But perhaps he's using buggy apps. I've only used Google Books a little, so I can't say whether or not it's usually buggy/crashy (I usually use the Kindle app).

If an app crashes, definitely submit a crash report. As a developer, I appreciate getting crash reports (which show up in the developer console). It usually shows exactly where the app is crashing and it's pretty easy to find the bugs and fix them.

By the way (in response to Kevin Oates), app crashes are due to bugs in the app, not because of Android itself. If an app crashes, it means it didn't properly handle an error condition. I think it's more of a challenge on Android (vs. iOS) to have error-free code because of the many different variants of devices, screen sizes / pixel density, OS versions, etc. But that's just the nature of Android. I've found in my own development that in many cases when I troubleshoot an error on a particular device (that works on most other devices), I usually uncover a bigger problem in my code that should have been fixed to begin with. For instance, when I first started learning Android development I didn't understand how to manage bitmaps in memory. I tested on my phone and my app worked perfectly, but on another device with less memory it was crashing like crazy. I then learned how to optimize my app and make it run efficiently even on lower-end devices. It forced me to write better code.
    I never mentioned the apps were crashing due to Android, I know that the apps are the issue

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Oates View Post
    I never mentioned the apps were crashing due to Android, I know that the apps are the issue
    These 2 excerpts from your post imply that Android is at fault and more susceptible to buggy apps than Apple's iOS.

Sadly this is a common issue on Android.
    Apple are excellent at having apps that work without issues
    But the fact is that crashes are predominantly the cause of a bug in the app, not the OS.

These 2 excerpts from your post imply that Android is at fault and more susceptible to buggy apps than Apple's iOS.

But the fact is that crashes are predominantly the cause of a bug in the app, not the OS.
    I wasn't aware that we were analysing every little word someone says! I implied in a general term that it is something that is common with Android - which it is. I never specifically mentioned that it was Androids fault the apps are crashing. I also mentioned that Apple is excellent at having apps that dont crash - which it is. Again the key word I mentioned is apps.

I wasn't aware that we were analysing every little word someone says! I implied in a general term that it is something that is common with Android - which it is. I never specifically mentioned that it was Androids fault the apps are crashing. I also mentioned that Apple is excellent at having apps that dont crash - which it is. Again the key word I mentioned is apps.
    I'm not trying to pick at your words. I've just seen this type of statement made all over the internet, and as a developer I know this is a misconception, so I feel compelled to correct it since I know the way an app is designed, coded, and tested is what dictates how stable it is, not what OS it's running on.

I'm not trying to pick at your words. I've just seen this type of statement made all over the internet, and as a developer I know this is a misconception, so I feel compelled to correct it since I know the way an app is designed, coded, and tested is what dictates how stable it is, not what OS it's running on.
    I understand everything you are saying, I also understand that its not Android or Apple who are at fault. My original point was simply saying that you encounter more bugged apps on Android than you do on IOS - which despite everything you have said still remains the case.

I understand everything you are saying, I also understand that its not Android or Apple who are at fault. My original point was simply saying that you encounter more bugged apps on Android than you do on IOS - which despite everything you have said still remains the case.
    Keep in mind that your perception may be that you encounter more buggy apps on Android, but that may not be the case for others. It all depends on which apps you're running on each platform. It's the apps themselves which have the bugs that result in crashes or lockups. So if you happen to choose more buggy apps on your Android device vs. your iOS device, that may be your perception.

Keep in mind that your perception may be that you encounter more buggy apps on Android, but that may not be the case for others. It all depends on which apps you're running on each platform. It's the apps themselves which have the bugs that result in crashes or lockups. So if you happen to choose more buggy apps on your Android device vs. your iOS device, that may be your perception.
    Might sound like a daft question, but do you know how many developers there are for Android compared to Apple? just curious

Might sound like a daft question, but do you know how many developers there are for Android compared to Apple? just curious
    I'm not sure. I'd guess there are more iOS developers, but I know the app store numbers (iOS vs. Android) are getting pretty close now.

I'm not sure. I'd guess there are more iOS developers, but I know the app store numbers (iOS vs. Android) are getting pretty close now.
    thanks
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I updated my build and now it seems a lot better. I couldn't update OTA, but Kies worked OK. Everything seems snappier. It was a little much, one minute it seemed like I couldn't do anything without an error, then it would go for a couple hours. I'm happy it has smoothed out, I was getting frustrated. The only thing I have to address now is my Google perks. I have the 50gb on drop box, but I didn't receive the email for the $25 Google play credit. I registered on Samsung, created the Samsung apps account, and logged in with my tab. No email though. I will call I guess.

..... No email though. I will call I guess.

This thread might help: Galaxy Perks

Global Posts
    615 Global Posts

Default Re: From iOS to the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

I haven't had a single app crash yet. But, I don't turn on may of the apps that are included. Dropbox? I don't use it. Etc...

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Default Re: From iOS to the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

That is the downside of Android. Just so many variation of the processors, RAM and software skins (Sense, TW, LGs version..etc.)

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX (tapatalk)
    VZW LG G3/Motorola Xoom