Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: Help!! Not responding to charging

jwwilker

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
My fiance bought me the TabPro 8.4 for Valentine's Day, and I absolutely love it.

We took a trip to Chicago this past weekend, and yesterday I noticed that the tablet's battery was dead (I thought she turned it off...she thought I did..). When I turned the tablet on, I got the "Critical Battery Level" warning, so I immediately plugged it in. It got to 12%, and we were ready to leave the hotel, so I turned the tab off and unplugged it. My thought was to charge it when I got to the airport. Well, when we arrived at the terminal and I plugged the tablet in, nothing happened. No charging indicator on the screen, the power wouldn't turn on, nothing. I assumed that it was just so dead and that's the reason why nothing was happening. We got home, and I plugged it in to the charger and left it overnight, and still nothing. This morning it will not turn on, it doesn't respond to the charging cable being plugged in...absolutely nothing.

Do you guys have any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
re: Help!! Not responding to charging

My fiance bought me the TabPro 8.4 for Valentine's Day, and I absolutely love it.

We took a trip to Chicago this past weekend, and yesterday I noticed that the tablet's battery was dead (I thought she turned it off...she thought I did..). When I turned the tablet on, I got the "Critical Battery Level" warning, so I immediately plugged it in. It got to 12%, and we were ready to leave the hotel, so I turned the tab off and unplugged it. My thought was to charge it when I got to the airport. Well, when we arrived at the terminal and I plugged the tablet in, nothing happened. No charging indicator on the screen, the power wouldn't turn on, nothing. I assumed that it was just so dead and that's the reason why nothing was happening. We got home, and I plugged it in to the charger and left it overnight, and still nothing. This morning it will not turn on, it doesn't respond to the charging cable being plugged in...absolutely nothing.

The exact same thing happened to me with my Nexus 7 - I had to return it to the manufacturer (Asus) who advised me that it needed the connection cable replaced within the tablet, they fixed it and returned it to me free of charge as it was still within my warrently. I would suggest doing the same if it's not turning on

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

It may be possible that the battery dropped so low, that there are no not enough volts, essentially a bad cell, in the battery to turn it on. I would suggest to call Samsung and see what they suggest.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site

I would return it for another one if your'e within the return period. My first 8.4 had two small scratches around the rear camera housing despite the box being factory sealed. I brought it back to Best Buy for an exchange the next day. The 8.4 is a new device so there are going to be a few bad apples here and there during the manufacturing process. Sounds like you have a dud that won't sort itself out.

jwwilker

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I called Samsung, and they gave me a UPS label to return to their service center. I may try to swing it by Best Buy tonight to see if they can swap it so I'm not without a tablet for a couple of weeks.

mattskr

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Re: Help!! Not responding to charging

Just exchange it, Best Buy has excellent return policy. No reason to be without a tablet.

jwwilker

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site

I took it by Best Buy last night. After dealing with their peachy customer service representative, I was told I needed to see the "Geek Squad" to have the tab looked at. Well, after waiting for an hour on the one geek squad rep to help countless old ladies set up their new computers, I got fed up and talked with a manager. He was polite enough to swap out the tab, and even gave me an invisishield for no charge to replace the one I had put on the original tablet.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site

I took it by Best Buy last night. After dealing with their peachy customer service representative, I was told I needed to see the "Geek Squad" to have the tab looked at. Well, after waiting for an hour on the one geek squad rep to help countless old ladies set up their new computers, I got fed up and talked with a manager. He was polite enough to swap out the tab, and even gave me an invisishield for no charge to replace the one I had put on the original tablet.

Good to hear you're up and running

Posted from Moto X via Android Central App

Stefon Sharp

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I had the same problem, all I did was restart the tablet and now it's works fine. I suspect it's software or firmware. It does not have a short, it is either on or off. That's why I think it is not the charge port. They will probably have an update to fix it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Unacceptable. There is absolutely no reason or excuse why this should affect more than the rare 1 in 1000, if that. For it to be a software issue would be extremely unacceptable as charging your device is one of the very most basic things a customer does. This kind of thing happening on an Asus tablet is not surprising to me at all given the experiences I've had with their Transformer Primes but I would certainly expect better of Samsung given their primary competitive target.

Sent from my liberated Titanium iPad Air LTE 

jwwilker

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
No, it wasn't a software issue with mine. It was the battery itself. Once the tab's battery lost its full charge, it didn't have enough voltage to do anything. I couldn't restart it (because it was already off), and a software update wouldn't have fixed it. I do feel that mine was a rare issue. I had the Transformer Prime, @Haalcyon, and trust me, this tablet is by far superior to that. I loved the Prime initially, but it just got bogged down immensely after a few days of use. I have had zero issues with my replacement, and don't expect to have any going forward.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
No, it wasn't a software issue with mine. It was the battery itself. Once the tab's battery lost its full charge, it didn't have enough voltage to do anything. I couldn't restart it (because it was already off), and a software update wouldn't have fixed it. I do feel that mine was a rare issue. I had the Transformer Prime, @Haalcyon, and trust me, this tablet is by far superior to that. I loved the Prime initially, but it just got bogged down immensely after a few days of use. I have had zero issues with my replacement, and don't expect to have any going forward.

I'm glad your replacement is working fine. I still have a little faith in Samsung Mobile, basically, but they're not showing the attention to design, quality, and detail that I prefer and can get elsewhere. However, yes, they're still better than Asus in my book. Neither of them will miss me and I certainly won't miss them so everyone's happy.

:)

Sent from my liberated plutonium 5s 64

mattskr

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, I've never actually let mine lose all of it's charge. Now I think I should to make sure I don't have this issue.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, I've never actually let mine lose all of it's charge. Now I think I should to make sure I don't have this issue.

I'm hoping that today's mobile electronics would shut themselves completely off before reaching a point to where the battery could be damaged by lack of charge. Am I expecting too much?

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm hoping that today's mobile electronics would shut themselves completely off before reaching a point to where the battery could be damaged by lack of charge. Am I expecting too much?

They do give you enough warnings that the battery is getting low and even the screen dims when it get to 5%. Enough warning IMO. People aren't going to listen, just like everything else in life.

- - - Updated - - -

This seems to be a common issue with Samsung devices. Very popular complaint in the tab 3 forum.

RBEmerson

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
This is a problem with other Android devices. Basically, if there isn't enough power left in the battery to do a minimal wake-up for charging, the phone is never going to wake up. Unfortunately, charging a tab battery isn't like charging a car battery: slap a charger across the battery and watch the joules roll in. There's logic involved in charging; if the phone can't supply power for that logic it's "movie over - go home".

In the Motorola world, there's the Factory Programming Cable which supplies the needed power to wake the phone up enough to get it started. I suspect there's something similar in the Samsung world.

Last edited:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
This is a problem with other Android devices. Basically, if there isn't enough power left in the battery to do a minimal wake-up for charging, the phone is never going to wake up. Unfortunately, charging a tab battery isn't like charging a car battery: slap a charger across the battery and watch the joules roll in. There's logic involved in charging; if the phone can't supply power for that logic it's "movie over - go home".

In the Motorola world, there's the Factory Programming Cable which supplies the needed power to wake the phone up enough to get it started. I suspect there's something similar in the Samsung world.

Devices should power themselves off, no if's and's or but's, don't ask the user, just power down for self-preservation before the battery is in such a state that it doesn't have Enough to be charged. Why is this not the case?

{iRiidium} Technophile. 2 of 4 

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Devices should power themselves off, no if's and's or but's, don't ask the user, just power down for self-preservation before the battery is in such a state that it doesn't have Enough to be charged. Why is this not the case?

{iRiidium} Technophile. 2 of 4 

you are 100% correct! they should give you all the warnings and when you don't heed the advice just shut down automatically before this happens.

TonyInDallas

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm having a different problem. After running great for a week, as of yesterday my battery percentage is staying at 100%. I either have the greatest battery ever, or something's afoot. Anyone else seeing this?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci