Tab Pro 8.4 vs Nexus 8

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking at purchasing a new tablet but can't decide between the Tab Pro 8.4 or another Nexus tab. The one thing that has me curious is the number of updates the Samsung tab will get. And since the Samsung Tabs are their flagship products will they get just as many updates as the Nexus devices? I don't think I really want to be stuck on android 4.4 for a year while the Nexus devices get 4.5 or something like that.

kanderson326

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Nexus 7 is great for the price. I like having both. Android 4.4 is pretty good, 4.5 might not be much better. Sammy may or may not update the sw. I'm waiting for custom ROM to install someday. If you're entry level into tablets, like having the newest update, and want portability with the best value, n7 is for you.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 7 is great for the price. I like having both. Android 4.4 is pretty good, 4.5 might not be much better. Sammy may or may not update the sw. I'm waiting for custom ROM to install someday. If you're entry level into tablets, like having the newest update, and want portability with the best value, n7 is for you.

Thanks. I'm actually interested in the nexus 8 and whether I should hold out for it but so far the rumor is that it's going to have an 8.9 inch screen which is much to large. The Samsung 8.4 screen is the perfect size.

My first gen nexus 7 already has some funky quirks from its age like it only charges when the tablet is placed flat and the sound is only sent to one headphone and only plays out of one speaker. So I'm not sure whether I can hold out or not, lol.

kanderson326

Mar 28, 2014
Visit site
Oh, cool. Yeah, that sounds like a potential hardware issue with your first Gen. But one headphone and one speaker? Be sure to try factory reset. I've repaired a couple of those. The nexus 8 rumors sound pretty good, but probably this summer and price probably higher than n7, maybe $299. Probably same resolution, similar processor, maybe 801 or 805 snapdragon instead of 800. I bet these devices would be crazy fast with stock android. Best of luck to you with the decision. Can't really go wrong either way. Your old tab might get you thru til summer!

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
The sound works ok now but sometimes it cuts out to one headphone. I can fix it by gently knocking on the back of the tablet, but it's not obviously a permanent fix. I think I might wait until the summer but if Samsung comes out with a Google pay edition 8.4 pro, I'm for sure going to get that.