Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles

Hi everybody.

I just wanted to ask how do you find blacks and viewing angles on the Tab Pro 8.4?
    I got mine yesterday and I'm not sure if my unit is faulty.
    When I view it directly it has a weird looking gray/brown light coming on the top right corner when that area is supposed to
    look black. When I watch for example youtube it's easily visible because of the black bars.
    The viewing angles on my unit are also quite awful when showing blacks. Here you can see how it looks: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/nlect1pong0xeiq/Xkf5MzDYsh.
    I downloaded an all black image.
    Hope that someone can post their pictures of the Tab Pro 8.4's blacks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-20140402_232505.jpg  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles

Could it be backlight bleed?

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts

That looks very bad. My lock screen wallpaper is a pic of interstellar space and it is black and even.

Posted via my Samsung Apple killer

Global Posts
    38 Global Posts

You should swap it out. I have black wallpaper as well and have no issues. I'll post a pic later if I get a chance.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts

Here is a screen-grab of my lock screen wallpaper.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-2014-04-10-15.23.33.png.jpg  
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I have swaped it out, waiting for the new one to arrive. If you could post a picture here it would mean a lot.You can download a full black image, and take a shot of the blacks and viewing angles, because my seller gets the Tab Pro 8.4 from China so who knows maybe the quality of displays differ from market to market.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thank you all very much for the respond!
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I got the new one today and it has the same issue, hope someone can take a few shots

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts

I brought up the cam on my tablet then set it down flat on my desk. I then took several pics with my phone at different angles. Is this what you need to see?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-2014-04-15-10.45.49.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-2014-04-15-10.45.59.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-2014-04-15-10.46.06.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-2014-04-15-10.46.14.jpg   Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 blacks/viewing angles-2014-04-15-10.46.36.jpg  

Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Thank you very much, the panels are of the same quality. It's Samsung's PLS screens which tend to have weird colour shift while displaying blacks.

Global Posts
    743 Global Posts

Actually, the color shift is pretty exaggerated by the camera in my phone. When actually looking at it the effect is very minor. In fact you have to look at it at an angle to see it at all. Overall, I think the quality of the screen is excellent. It is far far better than my old Tab 2 7- inch.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy iPhone killer
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Yes, the quality is great (the pixel density is mind blowing), although I would have loved to see available display modes. I would definitely set it to Dynamic mode because I'm used to Samsung's Super Amoled screens. But at least we will never get any burn in which is a huge problem for the Super Amoled panels.