Disappointed with Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

hansjs

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
So I just switch to the Pro 8.4 because my daughter wanted my Note 3 8" tablet. Really, her asking for it was just the excuse I needed for a yearly upgrade.

Unless I just haven't found it, I am pretty disappointed there is no reading mode on this tablet to make reading books easier on the eyes. There also doesn't seem to be a face unlock feature (noted in another thread). I'm slowly getting used the replacing the menu button with the recent apps button, though I'm not sure why it was needed.

Finally, I just don't like the UX features. If you want a widget like that, fine, but why force users into an unpopular feature that by all accounts has already been abandoned by Samsung? Stuff like this is exactly why people hate Touchwiz and other proprietary skins.

I do love the screen and it's definitely more powerful than my Note was, but I guess I am just not willing to change as I used to be. I'm hoping some new ROMS are released that blend the best of the tablets and cut out the worst. I got too good a deal on this to return it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Disappointed so far

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear you're disappointed. If you were willing to return it, I would've suggested looking at the LG G Pad 8.3, which is on sale at Woot.com for $199 (16 GB, factory reconditioned): LG G Pad Tablets

TheBigJMoney

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

Just give it a bit of time. If you follow the XDA forums you'll note that some good ROMS are already out and are being updated with regularity. Changing the role of the menu button (especially if you're used to the way the button functions on Samsung phones) takes some getting used too. I've had mine for about 3 weeks and I'm almost used to it at this point. I agree, the magazine UX blows. Best bet is to just use the Nova Prime launcher. It gives you quite a few options and with its recent updates you could create your own version of a magazine-style interface if you so chose.

For it's price the 8.4 is just too good a tablet to give up.

mattskr

May 6, 2013
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Sorry to hear you're disappointed. If you were willing to return it, I would've suggested looking at the LG G Pad 8.3, which is on sale at Woot.com for $199 (16 GB, factory reconditioned): LG G Pad Tablets

I would keep this tablet over the LG G Pad. I had the G Pad and this tablet is much...much...much better. Unless you're just looking to save some cash, because the G Pad is cheaper. You get what you pay for :)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I would keep this tablet over the LG G Pad. I had the G Pad and this tablet is much...much...much better. Unless you're just looking to save some cash, because the G Pad is cheaper. You get what you pay for :)

I'm curious to know why the G Pad is worse--I don't have one, but I've read many reviews and opinions saying it's quite good. Was it an issue with performance, build, software ...?

sharpehenry

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site

I'm curious to know why the G Pad is worse--I don't have one, but I've read many reviews and opinions saying it's quite good. Was it an issue with performance, build, software ...?

I was playing side by side at the local retail store and screen was definitely weaker. Don't get me wrong LG G Pad screen is gorgeous but it was little darker on same brightness level %.

Personally I really don't mind what to choose but Samsung had some better deal on the purchasing part. Instant rebate store gift card plus $25 play store credits and such. So I went with the Samsung.

I really liked the LG's android overlays better than Samsung's though. Seemed more fluid.

Posted via Android Central App

hansjs

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Best bet is to just use the Nova Prime launcher. It gives you quite a few options and with its recent updates you could create your own version of a magazine-style interface if you so chose.

For it's price the 8.4 is just too good a tablet to give up.

Thanks, I'll give Nova Prime a shot whilst waiting for the ROM's to mature a little bit. I know it's trivial...but I was really used to that reading mode on the Note 8" tablet. I got this thing for 319 + a $50 gift card....so switching it out isn't really worth it. Hopefully Samsung will see the error of their ways on UX....but they abandon updates for their devices pretty readily, so I expect a custom ROM is in my future.

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Here are my thoughts: no, there is not a face unlock. You do not have to use the ux or magazine interface. I tried it for a few hours, could not stand it and have never used it again. There is an excellent reading app called page turner that will read aloud.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy iPhone killer

hansjs

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site

Here are my thoughts: no, there is not a face unlock. You do not have to use the ux or magazine interface. I tried it for a few hours, could not stand it and have never used it again. There is an excellent reading app called page turner that will read aloud.

Posted via my Samsung Galaxy iPhone killer

No, you don't have to use UX, but it takes up 2 of the 3 default screens with generally useless, non-refreshing data. I took another commenter's recommendation and switched to the Nova Prime Launcher. As for reading apps, there are numerous great apps. The feature I was referring to was one in the Note 8" tablet that gave the pages a slight yellowish, page like hue that was easier on the eyes. This reading mode was applied to any reading apps you wanted. I can get by by dimming the brightness when reading, it's just a feature I loved and wonder why they took it out.

wms3

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site

Okay, now I understand. I did not have that on my older 7 inch Galaxy Tab tablet

Posted via my Samsung Apple killer

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

No, you don't have to use UX, but it takes up 2 of the 3 default screens with generally useless, non-refreshing data. I took another commenter's recommendation and switched to the Nova Prime Launcher. As for reading apps, there are numerous great apps. The feature I was referring to was one in the Note 8" tablet that gave the pages a slight yellowish, page like hue that was easier on the eyes. This reading mode was applied to any reading apps you wanted. I can get by by dimming the brightness when reading, it's just a feature I loved and wonder why they took it out.

hey Han! In the video i watched on this (YouTube: 30+ 8.4 Pro Tips) it said you only HAVE TO have 1 magazine UI screen and can have 5 Home screens. I watched him delete all but one Magazine screen- (I don't have my tab yet) BTC

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site

If you want a reading mode (at night), try Eyes Free (google play store). There is a free version and a paid version. I have the paid version and it works perfectly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol