Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Battery Won't Charge Without Reboot

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
This is my first Android tablet, I really like it.

Trouble is, it sometimes seems to stall in its charging. It's particularly noticeable when I wake up in the morning and its' been charging all night and its not 100%

Tried watching it tonight:

9:38pm started charge at 58%
9:44pm 61%
9:57pm 65%
10:26pm 69%
10:36pm 69%
10:55pm 69%
11:28pm 69%

(reboot device, unplug adapter, plugin again)

11:31pm 68%
11:56pm 75%
12:07am 100%

This end result makes me wonder if the battery percentage is simply wrong, but if that's the only problem, why doesn't it charge overnight?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Posted via Android Central App

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Last night I powered down the tablet with about 97% charge, I powered on this morning and it was 74%. I'm wondering if the percentage is just off?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Why do you power it down when you go to sleep? I leave it plugged into the charger and haven't had any charging issues whatsoever.

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
It's because I'm suspecting a software issue is at the root of it. I've left it powered-on charging overnight a couple of times (and not excessively drained, still 50% power or so) and I woke up to high 80s or low 90s percent.

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Full reformat?

I'd like to save that for a last resort... I'm hoping someone has another idea.

I just successfully charged to 100% while powered on and with no special treatment.

I hate this kind of issue. If it doesn't do it all the time, how do I know when it's fixed?

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Try using the official white power brick and usb cable. Maybe try another power outlet. That particular one could be providing less power or plugged into a power strip.

jomarr

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
I had problems with mine as well. From 56% to 54% overnight and that's with the charger on. Tried charging it until lunch time and it didn't move. It's fine now. Probably a software issue

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I had problems with mine as well. From 56% to 54% overnight and that's with the charger on. Tried charging it until lunch time and it didn't move. It's fine now. Probably a software issue

Glad to hear it didn't turn into a major problem. Assuming it's software, hopefully an update will resolve it 100%.

Thanks!

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Try using the official white power brick and usb cable. Maybe try another power outlet. That particular one could be providing less power or plugged into a power strip.

That's an interesting thought. I have been using the official brick, but with a surge strip and an extension cord (makes it easy to have on my desk while charging).

I'll plug in elsewhere and see if that changes anything.

Civuck

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
Similar issue here. Battery remaining value was fine for first month or two. Now it is stalling occasionally during recharges. I don't believe it is power adapter related. My feeling it is a software bug in the reporting.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I JUST now experienced this. It definitely is with the newest update ND3 that came out recently.

Annoying to say the least!

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Then it's either a software update that we all have shared, whether it's through Samsung Hub, Google Play, or otherwise, is what's causing the problem.

cgr45

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. The only way it will fully charge is by been off while plugged in.

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. The only way it will fully charge is by been off while plugged in.

I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work in my case.

I've contacted Samsung. After checking what apps were using the most battery (Screen and Android System in my case), their response was to try a factory reset. So I've taken the original advise of storino03.

Lost my GT Racing 2 progress :(

Anyway first night it charged fully, but I was only down to 60-something.

It's plugged in now, charging from 20% and has hit 83%. Hopefully it will go all the way up.

jdillworth

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I just talked to a tech at Samsung. When I said I had done a factory reset, he asked how.

After explaining I had used the settings app, he had me reset an alternate way. Now I'm going to see if I can charge normally.

Here's the alternate way if it's useful:
Press and hold: Volume Up + Home + Power
(They have to be depressed in that order)

You'll then go into a menu system that can be used to do a factory reset.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey