Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Battery Won't Charge Without Reboot

This is my first Android tablet, I really like it.

Trouble is, it sometimes seems to stall in its charging. It's particularly noticeable when I wake up in the morning and its' been charging all night and its not 100%

Tried watching it tonight:

9:38pm started charge at 58%
    9:44pm 61%
    9:57pm 65%
    10:26pm 69%
    10:36pm 69%
    10:55pm 69%
    11:28pm 69%

(reboot device, unplug adapter, plugin again)

11:31pm 68%
    11:56pm 75%
    12:07am 100%

This end result makes me wonder if the battery percentage is simply wrong, but if that's the only problem, why doesn't it charge overnight?

Any advice would be much appreciated

Posted via Android Central App
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 Battery Won't Charge Without Reboot

Last night I powered down the tablet with about 97% charge, I powered on this morning and it was 74%. I'm wondering if the percentage is just off?

Why do you power it down when you go to sleep? I leave it plugged into the charger and haven't had any charging issues whatsoever.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It's because I'm suspecting a software issue is at the root of it. I've left it powered-on charging overnight a couple of times (and not excessively drained, still 50% power or so) and I woke up to high 80s or low 90s percent.

Full reformat?
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by storino03 View Post
    Full reformat?
    I'd like to save that for a last resort... I'm hoping someone has another idea.

I just successfully charged to 100% while powered on and with no special treatment.

I hate this kind of issue. If it doesn't do it all the time, how do I know when it's fixed?

Try using the official white power brick and usb cable. Maybe try another power outlet. That particular one could be providing less power or plugged into a power strip.

Global Posts
    513 Global Posts

I had problems with mine as well. From 56% to 54% overnight and that's with the charger on. Tried charging it until lunch time and it didn't move. It's fine now. Probably a software issue
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by jomarr View Post
    I had problems with mine as well. From 56% to 54% overnight and that's with the charger on. Tried charging it until lunch time and it didn't move. It's fine now. Probably a software issue
    Glad to hear it didn't turn into a major problem. Assuming it's software, hopefully an update will resolve it 100%.

Thanks!
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Try using the official white power brick and usb cable. Maybe try another power outlet. That particular one could be providing less power or plugged into a power strip.
    That's an interesting thought. I have been using the official brick, but with a surge strip and an extension cord (makes it easy to have on my desk while charging).

I'll plug in elsewhere and see if that changes anything.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

OK, this time no extension cord, different surge protector, different outlet. I put it on the charger last night at 51% and woke up to 86%.

Similar issue here. Battery remaining value was fine for first month or two. Now it is stalling occasionally during recharges. I don't believe it is power adapter related. My feeling it is a software bug in the reporting.

Yeah, I JUST now experienced this. It definitely is with the newest update ND3 that came out recently.

Annoying to say the least!

Yeah, I JUST now experienced this. It definitely is with the newest update ND3 that came out recently.

Annoying to say the least!
    I'm still on original firmware from February and have this stalling charge problem.

Then it's either a software update that we all have shared, whether it's through Samsung Hub, Google Play, or otherwise, is what's causing the problem.

I'm having the same issue. The only way it will fully charge is by been off while plugged in.

18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Quote Originally Posted by cgr45 View Post
    I'm having the same issue. The only way it will fully charge is by been off while plugged in.

I'm pretty sure I tried that and it didn't work in my case.

I've contacted Samsung. After checking what apps were using the most battery (Screen and Android System in my case), their response was to try a factory reset. So I've taken the original advise of storino03.

Lost my GT Racing 2 progress

Anyway first night it charged fully, but I was only down to 60-something.

It's plugged in now, charging from 20% and has hit 83%. Hopefully it will go all the way up.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Quote Originally Posted by jdillworth View Post
    It's plugged in now, charging from 20% and has hit 83%. Hopefully it will go all the way up.
    No good, it stopped at 94% and stayed there for at least 7 hours. Unplug and plug in again and now it's topping off.

So the factory reset didn't solve it.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

I just talked to a tech at Samsung. When I said I had done a factory reset, he asked how.

After explaining I had used the settings app, he had me reset an alternate way. Now I'm going to see if I can charge normally.

Here's the alternate way if it's useful:
    Press and hold: Volume Up + Home + Power
    (They have to be depressed in that order)

You'll then go into a menu system that can be used to do a factory reset.

Quote Originally Posted by jdillworth View Post
    No good, it stopped at 94% and stayed there for at least 7 hours. Unplug and plug in again and now it's topping off.

So the factory reset didn't solve it.
    This is exactly what happens to me. Gets to 95% and it stops. I have to turn it of for it to fully charge. When I turn it on and start using it it goes from 100% to 90% in 5 minutes. I should had kept the LG GPad

22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Just hit 100%!

This is my first attempt after contacting Samsung and learning of the key combo reset (Press and hold: Volume Up + Home + Power (in that order)).

If I can hit 100% 3 days in a row, I'm calling it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by cgr45 View Post
    ... I should had kept the LG GPad
    Like others, I think this is likely software. No one gets software right, so while I'm very frustrated I have to cut them some slack. Samsung released a herd of new tablets this year so far. It can't be easy to get everything right.

LG G pad was in the running when I bought the Galaxy. I don't know why LG released almost the same time as Samsung but with the previous generation Snapdragon (maybe they just missed some timing window?). For the record I liked the G Pad software and design better. Just couldn't ignore the specs and price.

I'm having the exact same issue except my tablet after a while will get to 100% (if i constantly unplug and plug it in) but then after a few minutes after being on will suddenly drop 10-40%. Or the percentage will drop at some random time during the day.

This is frustrating and I just want to throw it back at Samsung.

I drained my battery down to 10% as what was suggested in the other link I posted, and charged it all the way up to 100% and now my device is reporting the correct battery percentage. I think there's a bug with the way Samsung's software is reporting the correct "full" battery timings.

It hasn't happened since and charging it every night, brings it back up to 100%.

"(Press and hold: Volume Up + Home + Power (in that order))."

Thank you!! I tried everything. This worked!!! And it did not blow away anything on my tablet.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast