which tablet size is more practical? 8.4 or 10.5?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I really dont' know where to post this question.... since the Tab Pro has both 8.4 and 10.5 sizes, I figure this is probably the only place to ask.

I'm actually trying to decide between the Tab S(with SuperAMOLED) 8.4 and 10.5.

My current tablet is the the old Galaxy Tab 2 7.0-inch and the Apple iPad 2. 3G. 90% of the time, I'm using the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 because I customized it just how I like it. Not to mention the fact that in fall/winter, I always carried the 7-inch tablet in the inside breast pocket of my leather jacket.(yes, it fits just fine there :) )

However, I've often wished that the screen was bigger, especially when I'm travelling with it. For movie watching, bigger is always better..... so I guess 10.5? However, it is considerably bigger than the 8.4 and can't be handed with just one hand.

I'd appreciate any comments on the pros and cons on the size of the 8.4 and 10.5.

Thanks!

screen size comparison between the two.... (I'm probably over-thinking this... :D )
http://tvcalculator.com/index.html?64f9e8408293be279724d08659561598

WuSQPic.jpg

Last edited:

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I think that the 8 inch range is perfect. For me a 10 inch tablet is just too big.

After giving it some more thought, I do agree that 8.4-inch is more sensible.

However, I think I asked the question in the wrong section... I mean... what result
was I expecting by posting in the Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 section of the forum? :D :D :D\
That like asking in the iMore forums "which is better, iPad or Samsung Galaxy tablets?"

frope01

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think the 10 inch tablet would be fine if you won't be taking it out of the house. Big screens look great. More practical I'd say 8.4 because of the portability. I needed a backpack for my 10 inch but the 8.4 fits in small bags and large cargo pockets. I carry it a lot.

Sent from Frope's G Pro.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I think the 10 inch tablet would be fine if you won't be taking it out of the house. Big screens look great. More practical I'd say 8.4 because of the portability. I needed a backpack for my 10 inch but the 8.4 fits in small bags and large cargo pockets. I carry it a lot.

Sent from Frope's G Pro.

Samsung should make divide the difference and make a Tab S 9.5-inch tablet.... :)

They have so many tablets, what's wrong with another one? :D

Channan

Keyboard Warrior
Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I have an iPad 3 and a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4. I know the iPad has a smaller screen than the 10.5 at 9.7", but I've never heard anyone say the iPad's display is too small.

The Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4's display is almost as tall, but not nearly as wide as the iPad's, meaning video winds up being about the same size in landscape with all the letterboxing on the iPad, but the overall size of the tablet is much, much smaller. I think it's the ideal size. I can actually fit the Tab Pro in some of my pockets. The iPad doesn't even come close to that.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I started with the Nexus 7 (both 2012 and 2013) and love the weight and ability to hold it comfortably with one hand for long periods of time. There was a killer sale 6 months ago on the LG G Pad 8.3 (has some nice syncing with my G2) so I picked it up ($229, free shipping) and if I'm watching any video the extra screen space (while still able to use it with one hand) is quite significant. The slight extra weight makes a big difference in fatigue if I'm holding it and I could only imagine it would be A LOT more with 10" and doubt the 10" would even be "one handable".

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey just so u know if you got your Tab Pro 8.4 with in 2 weeks ago Best Buy is selling it for 249.99. You could return yours if u got it elsewhere or you could bring your receipt in and they will give u the diff.

Posted via Android Central App

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I had a 10.1 and it was stolen. The experience with the 10.1 was nice but I figured something slightly smaller would be perfect. I was correct, I enjoy the 8.4 size way more than the 10.1.

Host Dolphins

May 29, 2013
Visit site
NEITHER!!!

What is up with all these BIG tablets? No 7.0"? SKIP THIS GENERATION.

7.0" can fit in your pocket if needed. Which makes it practical to take places. However, 8.4 it too big to fit in any pocket. Which means the only place you can use is at home. Also, 8.4 is a little too big to hold in one hand. Two hands defeats the purpose. I think Samsung intentionally did this to inflate sales of the following generation so no one wants to buy the Tab S once the new 7" tablet comes out.

Sadly samsung probably lost me as a customer because I will never pay upwards of $300 for a tablet. And I definitely will not get a gigantic 8.4" UNPORTABLE tablet.

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
NEITHER!!!

What is up with all these BIG tablets? No 7.0"? SKIP THIS GENERATION.

7.0" can fit in your pocket if needed. Which makes it practical to take places. However, 8.4 it too big to fit in any pocket. Which means the only place you can use is at home. Also, 8.4 is a little too big to hold in one hand. Two hands defeats the purpose. I think Samsung intentionally did this to inflate sales of the following generation so no one wants to buy the Tab S once the new 7" tablet comes out.

Sadly samsung probably lost me as a customer because I will never pay upwards of $300 for a tablet. And I definitely will not get a gigantic 8.4" UNPORTABLE tablet.

Sorry but 8.4 inch tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, LG 8.4 are very portable.

And you said you are not going to pay over 300 pounds for a tablet then enjoy using cheap and crappy tablets that are going to only last you a year before the tablets dies out or becomes soo painfully slow/laggy.....

Host Dolphins

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but 8.4 inch tablets like the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro, LG 8.4 are very portable.

And you said you are not going to pay over 300 pounds for a tablet then enjoy using cheap and crappy tablets that are going to only last you a year before the tablets dies out or becomes soo painfully slow/laggy.....

Well I'm definitely not going to pay $500 (300 pounds), for a 7 inch tablet, you got that right. 8.4 is too big and as I said not portable because it can't fit in your pocket. I used to have a 10 inch tablet, it was too big, 7 inch is perfect because it is exactly the size of my pocket. Even a couple centimeters larger and it would not fit in my pocket, so 8.4 will definitely, absolutely, NOT fit in my pocket. Also I would like more lightweight than my tab 4, and an 8.4 will be a decrease, not increase in weight.

$200 USD is NOT a cheap tablet. That is an expensive 7 inch tablet. Any higher than $200 for a 7 inch tablet is just absurd. $200 usd will easily get you the fast, best quality 7 inch tablet on the market. Just do your research and don't be stupid. Apple is notoriously expensive and exorbitantly overpriced but even their mini is only $200. So don't give me that BS.

I got my Samsung tab 4 last year and it was top of the line quad core, better, faster, and higher quality than any other tablet on the market that is 7 inches (and that has removable storage), and I paid only $120 for it at Costco. This year last week I got an ASUS Memopad 7 (new model) with a 1080p screen, quad core high-end processor, and removable storage, and I also paid only $120 for it (they go new for $200 to $300 now but I'm a smart shopper). After doing research I found the Memopad 7 to be the highest end 7" tablet on the current market that has removable storage. Sadly, samsung isn't even offering a 7" upgrade to the tab 4.

On a side note, please note that the Tab 4 is NOT due for an upgrade. It is a super-fast tablet that does everything I need. In a year it has not slowed down one bit, not even a millisecond. It doesn't lag, not ever, and runs perfectly. The ONLY reason I upgraded so soon was because I dropped it which damaged the screen. If I hadn't dropped it, it would last easily another 5 years, still rivaling the top new tablets on the market.

I only buy the highest end equipment, I'm just not stupid spending 300 to 500 (USD) for sup-par hardware with inferior features (like no removable storage). So before you say I'm buying any "cheap/crappy" tablet, you should bite your tongue when you are utterly clueless.

p.s. The cheap ones you're referring to are the $50 china rip offs, and I recommend No One buy that junk.

Last edited:

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
Well I'm definitely not going to pay $500 (300 pounds), for a 7 inch tablet, you got that right. 8.4 is too big and as I said not portable because it can't fit in your pocket. I used to have a 10 inch tablet, it was too big, 7 inch is perfect because it is exactly the size of my pocket. Even a couple centimeters larger and it would not fit in my pocket, so 8.4 will definitely, absolutely, NOT fit in my pocket. Also I would like more lightweight than my tab 4, and an 8.4 will be a decrease, not increase in weight.

$200 USD is NOT a cheap tablet. That is an expensive 7 inch tablet. Any higher than $200 for a 7 inch tablet is just absurd. $200 usd will easily get you the fast, best quality 7 inch tablet on the market. Just do your research and don't be stupid. Apple is notoriously expensive and exorbitantly overpriced but even their mini is only $200. So don't give me that BS.

I got my Samsung tab 4 last year and it was top of the line quad core, better, faster, and higher quality than any other tablet on the market that is 7 inches (and that has removable storage), and I paid only $120 for it at Costco. This year last week I got an ASUS Memopad 7 (new model) with a 1080p screen, quad core high-end processor, and removable storage, and I also paid only $120 for it (they go new for $200 to $300 now but I'm a smart shopper). After doing research I found the Memopad 7 to be the highest end 7" tablet on the current market that has removable storage. Sadly, samsung isn't even offering a 7" upgrade to the tab 4.

On a side note, please note that the Tab 4 is NOT due for an upgrade. It is a super-fast tablet that does everything I need. In a year it has not slowed down one bit, not even a millisecond. It doesn't lag, not ever, and runs perfectly. The ONLY reason I upgraded so soon was because I dropped it which damaged the screen. If I hadn't dropped it, it would last easily another 5 years, still rivaling the top new tablets on the market.

I only buy the highest end equipment, I'm just not stupid spending 300 to 500 (USD) for sup-par hardware with inferior features (like no removable storage). So before you say I'm buying any "cheap/crappy" tablet, you should bite your tongue when you are utterly clueless.

p.s. The cheap ones you're referring to are the $50 china rip offs, and I recommend No One buy that junk.

You are right saying that for about 200 pounds that can you get a decent tablet like the Nexus 7 is a perfect example, Asus Zenpad S 8, Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and lots more for a very decent price and can last you a least 2/3 years before they die or become very laggy/slow.

But the 400/500 pounds tablets like the Ipad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, Nexus 9 are way better, a lot more powerful and a lot more premium and high end and then Budget friendly tablets like the Nexus 7.

For me i will only buy high end tablets like the Ipad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 in the future, not the cheap tablets like Nexus 7 because they are worth more the money and last longer.

Even the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 which i have, Now days you get it for 200 pounds and there is no denying that at 200 pounds for Tab Pro 8.4 makes a far far better deal then Nexus 7, Asus Zenpad S 8, regardless if you like Samsung or not...

Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 use to be priced at around 350 pounds after it got announced and went on sale over a year ago now it has dropped in price a lot to 200 pounds and that is great!

I bought the Tab Pro 8.4 when it was priced around 280 pounds on Amazon even before original Tab S was announced!

The Tab Pro 8.4 is still a very high end and is one of the most powerful Android tablets available in the market today even tho the Tab Pro series announced over a year ago!!!

And yes the cheap tablets i was referring to was about $50/100 china tablet rip offs which i have heard they are crap and that have no battery life in them.

And anyway back to the topic for me 8.4 size is the sweet spot/perfect size for a tablet at the moment but i really curious weather the 9.7 size tablet(Ipad Air 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7) is the perfect size for a tablet i guess i am going to find out after i get the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 or the upcoming Ipad Air 3 in the future. :)

If you prefer the 7 inch size tablets than 8/10/12 inch tablets then good for you.. :)

Last edited:

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion tablet size is just a matter of personal preference. I'm a total tablet junky and have had pretty much every size and screen ratio you can get.

9.7" screen with a 4:3 ratio (like ipad) on my HP Touchpad.
8" 4:3 on my Le Pan Mini. An off brand but a decent little device.
8"16:9 Dell venue
7" 16:9 various models. (Too small for my taste. I'd rather just use my phone if I want something that portable)
10.1 16:10 galaxy note and tab pro.
8.4" tab pro.
8.3 LG gpad

For me the 8.4" tab pro is the sweet spot as well. Nice and light. Easy to hold, big enough for reading and videos appear quite large when held in Landscape due to the wide screen ratio. I paid 200.00 u.s. for my pro. A screaming good deal. I just picked up the 10.1 tab pro on craigslist for 180.00 . I like the 10.1as well but I tend to grab the 8.4 more often.

Regarding cheap tablets. They have their place as well. I bought 5 digiland 7" tablets for the grandkids for christmas for 39.00 each. I figured they would lose them or break them before they wore out. A couple of them are still actually working!

You will always pay a premium price for the newest model. That does not necessarily mean you are getting a better device. So for me my tab pro 8.4 is the best tablet I have ever had. I bought my wife a tab S 8.4 for 200.00 on craigslist and admittedly it is marginally nicer but not by much.

My current stable of tablets and uses are
Tab pro 8.4 at my bedside and as remote for tv.
Tab pro 10.1 for the breakfast table
LG gpad 8.3 (Verizon) for in the car glovebox when needed.
Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 on my desk at work as a second screen and Internet radio.
Le Pan Mini in the backyard hooked up to external speakers for music on the patio.
Not to mention my galaxy s5 phone always in my pocket.

Rediculous I know. I can't help myself.
Sent from my SM-T320

Last edited:

teejay69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I've been living with my Tab S 8.4 since just before Christmas and find it to be the best size tablet out there. The screen is perfect for watching movies, and awesome for casual browser reading, email, and just about anything else. Skyping is great. Perfect colors.

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non