Why is my Tablet randomly rebooting/resetting?

superakuma

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Random rebooting/resetting

I received the Tab Pro 8.4 a few weeks ago as a gift. I don't have much use for it so I rarely used it. Now that I use it more often I noticed that the tablet sometime restarts for no reason. I noticed this BEFORE I rooted it. I should of swapped it out but now it is too late. Is this a known issue or did I just get a bad unit?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Random rebooting/resetting

It's hard to say. Random reboots can happen because of problems with the firmware, but can also be due to some app you installed that is making the system unstable, or perhaps some bad bit of data that is in the system cache. A corrupt SD card can also cause problems. Here are some things you can try:

1. Unmount your SD card in Settings>Storage, remove it, and reboot. Use the tablet for a while (like a few days) without the SD card and see if the random reboots recur. If they don't, plug it back in again, and see if the reboots start again.

2. Boot into Safe Mode, which temporarily disables all 3rd party apps: Safe mode: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 | T-Mobile Support. (I couldn't find steps specifically for the Tab Pro, so I'm assuming the steps for the Tab 4 are the same.) This might not be an effective troubleshooting method if the random reboots don't occur very often, because it's hard to expect anyone to use their tablet for several days in Safe Mode, thus being unable to access any of the 3rd party apps you installed.

3. Boot into Recovery Mode and wipe the cache partition, which doesn't erase any personal data. Follow the steps in this video, and make sure you select Wipe Cache Partition, and not Wipe Data/Factory Reset.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6Ji2H4G9EU

superakuma

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for the reply. It is not the first one because I don't have any memory card in my device.

For number 2 does that just check to see if I have a faulty 3rd party program that is causing it? As far as the reboot, it is pretty random it happened to me even when I was just flipping though the page on the home screen.

I just cleared my cache and I will see how that goes. If that does not work I will try to do the factory reset and hope that works.

Thanks again for the help, I will update it in a few days to see if it worked.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Safe Mode doesn't do any specific troubleshooting for you--it can just help to figure out if some 3rd party app you installed might be the problem. If the problem goes away in Safe Mode, then something that you installed is probably the culprit. But the only way to figure out which app may be to uninstall apps one by one. If the problem persists in Safe Mode, it may have more to do with the firmware, or with the hardware.

superakuma

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site

Here is an update for anyone else having this problem and found this form a search. I tried the cache wipe but it didn't solve it so I fixed the issue by doing a FACTORY RESET. I reinstalled all of the apps that I had before and used it for about a week without any random reset from the tablet.

The only issue I had was for some reason after I did the factory reset, it drained the battery like crazy even though I wasn't using it. Overnight it went from 90% to about 50% while it was on idle and nothing running in the background. To fix this, I wiped the cache partition in the recovery mode and it seems to solved the battery issue. It think it dropped about 5% while idling overnight now.

Sid132

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
What should I do for this problem my tab keep on restarting suddenly at any type of percentages ...I have seen many videos but anybody help me to solve this .my tab name is Samsung galaxy tab pro 8.4 sm-t325

r1kirby

Feb 11, 2017
Visit site
After lots of research and trial and error I found that the lastest update for facebook was the problem. I uninstalled the lastest version of facebook and installed an older version of facebook and the reboot problem was solved.