Can't transfer large files from PC to tablet over USB.

clem842

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey everyone.
I can't seem to be able to transfer large files to my Galaxy tab pro 8.4 using USB. I have tried to transfer a bunch of small files without any problems. Usually the transfer speed is about 30 seconds for 1 GB. I tried transferring a 1GB file and that's how long it took. I tried transferring a folder with a bunch of files ranging from 500MB to 1GB, totaling 20GB. It took a little under 10 minutes. Now, I tried transferring a single 13GB .ts file and then I started having problems.

Judging from the other files, 13GB should have taken around 6-7 minutes. The progress indicator would tell me there was like 5 minutes left, then it would jump to "2 hours left", then "3 hours left". It took a total of 8-9 hours to transfer the file. I left my PC open all night to do this. When I woke up in the morning, it told me "30 minutes left". I was floored that it still wasn't finished but I stayed in front of my PC just to see what would happen at the end. When the progress indicator finally reached the end, it said "couldn't transfer file. Device stopped responding", or something to that effect.

I tried a smaller 6GB file. The process was shorter (4 hours instead of 9), but it produced the same result. "couldn't transfer file. Device stopped responding."

Does anyone know what might be the cause? Any possible way to fix this?

clem842

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you transferring the file to the tablet's internal storage, or to a microSD card?

Have you tried using a wireless solution like

Thanks for the reply. I was transferring the files to a 32GB microSD card. Since I wrote my first post I discovered the 4GB file size limit that many android device suffer from. Every time I tried to transfer a file larger then 4GB to the microSD card it ended up failing. But after reading your post I got curious and tried transferring a large file to the device's internal memory and... it worked. So the problem seems to be limited to the microSD card. I only have 16(fake)GBs internal storage. The real amount is 11.7GB and when my tablet is empty of any music, apps, movies etc, I have 9GB left. So basically the biggest file I'll be able to transfer to this tablet is around 9GB, unless I find another solution.

Anyway, I'll try the 2 apps you suggested. Maybe I'll have better luck.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, the 4 GB filesize limit on FAT32 SD cards can be a big hassle. I think some phones support NTFS or ExFAT filesystems, which allow for larger files, but I"m not sure which ones. You can also get it to work by rooting the phone and using an app like Paragon.